How old should a boy be to learn to run a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
Got home a couple days ago after gathering some tornado-downed trees at a friends for firewood and was greeted by my 3.5 year old son.

"You do that with your chainsaw, dada?"

"Yes I did."

"Me too?"

"When you're older"

Question: How old is older?

I grew up in a house heated exclusively by oil and therefore never had the opportunity to run a saw as a kid, so I have no personal benchmark.

How old were you guys when you started running a saw? Or, same question for you who have kids old enough by your estimation.

I was about 12 or so, but couldn't run the Super 44 until I was 14. I remember that well because it was the summer before i started high school. I got back to school and my hands were shakey and it was hard to write. Oh, and I couldn't hear the teacher.:)

I think I was about 12 when I was allowed to run my father's Partner. I was supervised, only one cut at a time on already limbed tress that were off the ground. Most of my time was loading or dragging brush. I was rewarded by making a few cuts.

Sounds like your son might be interested in this:

http://www.stihlusa.com/whatsnew/toysaw.html

I bought my 3 year old daughter one, but it was too loud for her. It was put away until my 17 month old boy is ready for his first stihl. :clap:

I was 13 with my father and his 028. It all depends on the kid though my brother was 16 or 17 when he finally go his hands on the saw so there definatly is no set age. At 13 I had already spent many days in the woods cutting with a hand saw and splitting with an axe so when the time came to learn to run the saw came I already knew a little about cutting and how to move in the woods. No matter how old the first several outings need to be taken slowly to teach the propor technique and safety procedures.

For the most part, I shy away from age-based benchmarks. Every kid, every person is different. Some kids may be ready at a seemingly young age, others, well, some should NEVER run a saw.

A dad should know his son's maturity, bodily strength, willingness/ability to learn, as well as be un-clumsy. Calendar years can be a rough indicator, but a good parent is much more accurate. In short, "you'll know"...

I think I was about 12 when I was allowed to run my father's Partner. I was supervised, only one cut at a time on already limbed tress that were off the ground. Most of my time was loading or dragging brush. I was rewarded by making a few cuts.

Sounds like your son might be interested in this:

http://www.stihlusa.com/whatsnew/toysaw.html

I bought my 3 year old daughter one, but it was too loud for her. It was put away until my 17 month old boy is ready for his first stihl. :clap:

I think I know what a certain little boy will be unwrapping on Dec. 25. :clap:

I had a grand total of 10 years under my belt when I started operating a chainsaw, but being the junior guy most of my time was spent stumbling around hauling. I began operating on a regular basis when I was 12, but all of this was for my brother's firewood business (he is 14 yrs my senior).

At home it was still an ax and a swede saw until I could manage to earn my own chainsaw when I was 16.

That is the timing that worked out in my particular situation. There are some fairly young kids that I would allow to learn on my j-red 520, but of those the youngest is 13. On the other hand, there are some adults that I would not even let carry my chainsaws.

It is a big responsibility both for you and the young boy, so proceed based on what you feel is the right time. He has to be strong enough to safely make a few cuts, and must also be wise enough to know and appreciate what dangers exist when operating a chainsaw - you are the best judge of that.

Good luck and have fun!

Try this

When I was somewhere in the 12-14 range, my dad handed me his copy of "Chainsaw Savvy". He told me that once I read it and didn't have any more questions, he would show me how to use a saw. You never know, it just might spark a stronger reading interest in a child. That way, they have a specific goal. Only one problem, that book is getting pretty hard to find. I am sure that at least one member of AS could loan you a copy.

BTW, I learned on an old Skil, no safety chain. One of those old 16xx series that was rebadged by everybody and their mother.

I was about 14 and learned on an SXLAO with no chain brake. My mom actually showed me a lot of stuff. I was kind of a big kid and had just started weight training a few months before that, I had no trouble handling the saw. But then my brother is 29 and is scared 5hitless of his little 14" Woodshark with safety chain.

3 and a half. 2 is a little bit young, but if they can pick it up they can run it. Just make sure they are wearing chaps and are running safety chain. Move them up to non-safety at 5.

For the most part, I shy away from age-based benchmarks. Every kid, every person is different. Some kids may be ready at a seemingly young age, others, well, some should NEVER run a saw.

A dad should know his son's maturity, bodily strength, willingness/ability to learn, as well as be un-clumsy. Calendar years can be a rough indicator, but a good parent is much more accurate. In short, "you'll know"...

Good advice, which is what I'll likely do instinctively. I suspect he'll be ready to handle the 017 at 12 with a lot of guidance and supervision.

This kid loved anything with a motor and is always impressing me with his strength. I'm sure physically and maturity-wise he'll be up to it.

If he is 3 1/2 now I would wait at least untill he is 4:hmm3grin2orange:

It really depends on the maturity of your son. I have seen 20 year olds that I wouldn't be anywhere close to where they were cutting.If he is respondsable I would say 16. That is when I started to use my dads...don't laugh now..."55 PROKUT"

Last edited:
I started at 10. Like already said, you should know what your son can handle. Don't make the mistake of waiting so long that by the time you think he is ready, he is uninterested and moved on to other things (probably useless things). My dad always said, you don't have to sit around and entertain your kids, get them out working with you, doing what you do. That, my friend, will feed them for a lifetime.

Nailsbeats well, uh, Nailed it. Of course it all depends on the kid but you won't know your kid if you don't spend time working with'em. Get them out doing 'something' useful. Even working a shovel is a learning experience for a 3-6 year old. Then you can make an informed decision as to when you think they can handle a chainsaw. Fact of the matter is if you've spent enough time with them you'll know how they will handle it before they even pick it up.

Got home a couple days ago after gathering some tornado-downed trees at a friends for firewood and was greeted by my 3.5 year old son.

"You do that with your chainsaw, dada?"

"Yes I did."

"Me too?"

"When you're older"

Question: How old is older?

I grew up in a house heated exclusively by oil and therefore never had the opportunity to run a saw as a kid, so I have no personal benchmark.
How old were you guys when you started running a saw? Or, same question for you who have kids old enough by your estimation.

It defninatly depends on the kid. I think if you supervise and make sure the young man (or Lady) has the proper PPE and works safely, 11 or 12 should be a good age. By the time they are 17 they should make a good hand.

I'll put it this way.

I used to run my own landscaping/mowing business, so I've been around equipment and had kids help me from time to time.

From those experiences...

NO ONE touches anything I own. Kids today break stuff faster than I can teach 'em how to use it. Hard lesson learned.

Why do you think I said 17 or 18 depending on the kid?

I bought my son his first saw (MS-170) when he was ten. Chaps, eye protection, hearing protection and gloves came with it. He uses it only when Im with him and so far I only allow him to cut cookies or hanging limbs that wont cause the saw to bind. Having him to read the owners manual and talking to him about potential dangers is a very good idea. He still uses the gloves and glasses that Just Mow sent him right after we bought him the saw.

Back