How to build a peavie, cant hook, or log jack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
something else to add is to have something welded on so that the hook will not come all the way back to the handle prevents smashed fingers. I also beefed up the stand pretty good so when rolling logs you can use it for extra leverage i have stood on mine several times just keep your head off to one side in case it slips it may cause premature tooth loss.

OK, good deal gonna do the same. I've been using 7018ac rod on everything and will stick with it (ac welder). The pipe I am using is 3/16 inch thick walled pipe x 1.25 od should be strong enough.

I've got plenty of scraps for the teeth. Will post a pic when done. Did you find the cut out was necessary for proper function? Right now I just have straight pipe with no cut out. Thanks again, KD

EDIT: My hook is two 5/8ths cold rolled side by side welded together. It was a witch bending each piece with just some pry pipes and getting the two pieces to match up before welding. KD

That sounds like 1" schedule 80?? Your wall is thicker than what I used... So it should be plenty strong. I bet the hook was hard to do... I cheated and used a bender. :p

Yes, I found without the dish, the tooth didn't want to bite as good... But I could have just made the tooth longer--I just chose the hard way. ;)

something else to add is to have something welded on so that the hook will not come all the way back to the handle prevents smashed fingers.

+1 Great idea,my middle finger on the left hand is purple from that very thing happening...

I built this one last month...

Timberjack.gif

I used remnant pieces I had laying around... It's pretty heavy duty.

I can scale it for you if you want measurements.

The jack is removable so you can use it as a cant hook.

What's up with the disappearing gas can?
WOW

Wonderful Work! :cheers:

They were a standard item in my grandfathers blacksmith shop,,,, Making them, repairing and re-handling them.

My hat's off to any that try and make there own EQ , there it not a better feeling!

But it's been mentioned, $100 frog skins is not a bad deal, or that $50 dollar used one,,,,but look at the opportunity to invent and experiment!

Just a cutting tip for the 'have-nots' leaving a limb on every so far gives you a cheater (lever) if you plan your work well. Life is never perfect, but we can live it perfectly.

OK, on the home stretch. Got all my bits ready to weld (I think). Question: How much of an overlap do you guys have in regards to the pivoting hook and the fixed tooth on the bar. Right now, my pivoting hook tip meets eachother at the end of the bar (where the fixed tooth gets welded).

All I need to do is cut the pipe a little shorter for the overlap, but how much and why? Currently I have them set up to meet.

Won't get any welding done till this eve, but want to have it all ready to go. KD

OK, on the home stretch. Got all my bits ready to weld (I think). Question: How much of an overlap do you guys have in regards to the pivoting hook and the fixed tooth on the bar. Right now, my pivoting hook tip meets eachother at the end of the bar (where the fixed tooth gets welded).

All I need to do is cut the pipe a little shorter for the overlap, but how much and why? Currently I have them set up to meet.

Won't get any welding done till this eve, but want to have it all ready to go. KD

Just $0.02 cents worth, but tack it and span a few logs.

The more over-lap the better the ratio of leverage the bite will have.

Experiment!

how much is the upper arm supposed to move? i understand that they move wood but i still dont know how to use it lol. sorry its new to me i could make one also but i dont get how the top arm is supposed to move or how much.

oldie but goodies

If the plans don't work out, try hitting antique and used shops. I see a few dozen a year at yard sales and junk shops. Probably run anywhere between $5-$50 depending on whose selling.

Back