How to climb pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool I see what you're saying now. Just to scoop more limbs for your TIP and ascend SRT and then you're not fighting friction in your TIP.

One thing I will do on spindly pine/spruce/fir is limb up just enough to get myself up there, not all the way around the trunk.

This saves mass to dampen movement of the tree.

Top it out small then set a false crotch and work down on DdRTlimbing till I want to drop a chunk of trunk. Pull the FC reset it and do it all over again.

Sometimes I'll leave limbs on the trunk to help pull them off, use them as a handle.

Limbing up one side allso will help if there are targets under the tree, like shrubs or whatnot.

OK,the way i do it on a pine removal is like this.

First i will tie my split tail onto my lifeline with a blakes while i'm still on the ground. That way i can use it as a second lanyard on the way up. I will either use alternating lanyards, or i will just limb the tree as i come to the branches, tying in SRT as a second tie in point when cutting limbs *(i just take the end of lifeline around trunk and clip on itself with rope-snap)
climb up, pop the top. Tie a runnin bowlin with a 10 foot tail, hook on figure 8 and blakes, rap down to next cut point, flipline in, pull the tail to loosen runnin bowlin, it slides down, cinch it tight, make cut, repeat.

Now the disclaimer, *I don't know how safe it is to cinch to the tree with a rope snap , I always face the gate up, never had any problems yet.

Also if you use a life line and split tail as a second lanyard, you can bail out real quick if needed.

DeanBrown3D said:
Its around 15" diameter at shoulder height. No idea what pine it is. It has many many small branches. Around 60 feet tall. Nearest electric line is around 12 feet away. If I could climb up it and just drop all the branches and then top it in small sections it would be fine. But I don't know how high I can go on this wood. If I could top the highest 10 feet and push it away from the lines I could do the rest fine.

Owner does not want to disconnect the cable, electric, phone, he'd be there all day waiting and all day again to reconnect them back up again.
tell owner no prob call a crane and charge accordingly:clap:

Nice technique woodchux......I'm definately going to use that next time im spiking my way up a removal. Way easier and more efficent than using a secondary lanyard.

Remembering to tie, dress and set your hitch well on the ground is important here.

Back