How to cut this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddle Mander

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a Sandy blow-down in the woods behind my house.

The main trunk in too huge for me to bother with, but it has a 12" diameter branch splitting off that's a nice tree in it's own right.

The branch is on top of the trunk, but it goes off 30+ feet at a 45 degree angle.

I will have to cut it around neck level. But there is no way to tell how it is going to move once it's free.

Is there a way that I could make some weakening cuts and let gravity do the rest?

I am in no hurry. I can make my cuts and go back a few weeks later when it is off the truck.

Wrong! There are million what ifs. What if the neighbors kid decided to play on the fallen tree, with a hazard waiting to happen. You could probably find a pro who would get it down on the ground for cheap.
Not seeing it, I would probably start undercutting the main trunk near the stump working my way up toward the limb, once I get to the limb it should be round waist high then I would notch and drop the limb again this is sight unseen.

I live in Sussex county.
not to to far.
A pic of the base of the tree and the branch your talking about would be helpfull.

I have a Sandy blow-down in the woods behind my house.

The main trunk in too huge for me to bother with, but it has a 12" diameter branch splitting off that's a nice tree in it's own right.

The branch is on top of the trunk, but it goes off 30+ feet at a 45 degree angle.

I will have to cut it around neck level. But there is no way to tell how it is going to move once it's free.

Is there a way that I could make some weakening cuts and let gravity do the rest?

I am in no hurry. I can make my cuts and go back a few weeks later when it is off the truck.

How big is the trunk and how big is your bar/saw? I would never attempt to cut anything that high, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. It must be quite a tree if it has a 12" branch thats 30'. I'd work on getting the trunk on the ground before taking that branch. Even with a 20" bar you can cut from both sides of the trunk and still manage a large piece of timber... Pics please!

sounds like its too much for you period, not trying to be rude, but you either see a way or two when you look at a tree or you don't. I make it a rule, if I don't see it, then I need my arborist to help me. if the limb is that big you most sure want the tree on the ground before cutting on it. fire wood is often not worth the risk

Ok, I'm back with pictures. Took a while to have time, good weather, and sunlight all at once, but here's the tree:

Good Front.jpg

Back.JPG

I'd like to take down that limb that looks like it's coming out of my shoulder, but I'm just not sure what direction all the other limbs are going to push it.

Ok, I'm back with pictures. Took a while to have time, good weather, and sunlight all at once, but here's the tree:

View attachment 345791

View attachment 345792

I'd like to take down that limb that looks like it's coming out of my shoulder, but I'm just not sure what direction all the other limbs are going to push it.

Clear out all little crap in/around where you will be working that might cause you to trip as well as an escape path. This includes any small branches on the downed tree and others from surrounding trees...anything that will get in your way.

Cut off the little branch on the larger branch you want to cut first. If this smaller branch looks to be under pressure from pushing into the ground make you first cut an undercut...slowly...while watching how the branch reacts. If the pressure from below pushes up the top end of the branch, opening up your cut, continue your undercut through to cut off the branch. Pull it out of your way. If, on the other hand, there is no pressure from below and your undercut does not 'open' up, stop before your bar gets pinched and cut down from above...gravity has taken over.

Then, from the opposite side of where you are standing in your pic, cut a pie/notch on the underside of your branch about 1/3 the diameter of said branch and about a 2" thick 'pie'.
Cut front the top and let the branch slowly hinge down. the branch may roll one way or the other (hard to tell which way not being there :p) so go slowly. If it rolls pull out so you don't get the bar pinched in the roll direction and let gravity take over. When it stops moving continue cutting but watch for any more side movement that might pinch your bar.

Cut up and move rounds out of the way.
Repeat procedure on that next branch.
then start from the top end of what's left and work to the base.

Make sense?

This will sound flippant, and I don't intend it as such, but I'd just cut it off. The stem won't stand back up. Bore in vertically from the side and gut out most of the wood in the center. Study the situation and figure out the forces at play on the limb. Stand on the side which looks the best, and with the tip of the bar, come out of the top from below. Keep u'r entire body on the "stump side" of the cut and be ready to move if you figured wrong on the forces.

Latest posts

Back