How to cut this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With what regards do you feel the main trunk is too large to deal with..? That looks like prime firewood to me, block it up and wack it with a splitting maul they'll fly apart then carry them out. What kind of saw are you using, how big is the bar?

I'd personally start with cutting the trunk on this one. It looks like that limb at 45* is hung into the tree by a small dead branch. I think if you first cut the big limb free from the rest of the log you're going to make the problem worse IMO. You want to keep it atached to the rest of the tree and use the trunks momentum to break the top free. It might work it might not but the crotch will be closer to the ground if you cut the trunk first. If that doesnt work then come back with more pictures possibly...

Some times you can get get the top un-hung by getting the trunk to move which would likely happen if you made a cut right behind where you are standing in the first pic. First cut from the top down until the kerf starts to close then pull out and make a cut from the bottom up to meet the top cut. The tree will start to shift so body placement is very important as is being free from pinch points and having a clear escape path. Fortunately for you, it looks like the tree to your right in the first picture is close the top and will stop the log from coming down hill very far when it frees. Expect it to shift while cutting, keep in mind that tree it will keep it from going down hill and you safe.

Above all else, know when to walk away if necessary.

This will sound flippant, and I don't intend it as such, but I'd just cut it off. The stem won't stand back up. Bore in vertically from the side and gut out most of the wood in the center. Study the situation and figure out the forces at play on the limb. Stand on the side which looks the best, and with the tip of the bar, come out of the top from below. Keep u'r entire body on the "stump side" of the cut and be ready to move if you figured wrong on the forces.

No offense to the OP but I believe your advice on a bore cut might be outside his operating experience if he's asking how to take this down. I would consider the tree in the pic to be a common encounter for someone who has a fare amount of experience behind a saw. Having the ability to "read" the tree as you cut comes with experience, I just dont think the OP has the experience to be attempting a bore cut on something like this IMO.

Is the limb hung in the standing tree? Looks like its forked, if so you might have to under cut the lead, with your notch up top at around 2/3 o'clock. I can't really tell from the pics. Any way you cut it you gotta go slow, and watch how it reacts. The cut has to open up or your pinched, and that can happen with the quickness.

With what regards do you feel the main trunk is too large to deal with..? That looks like prime firewood to me.... What kind of saw are you using, how big is the bar?

The main trunk is only about 21" wide, which wouldn't be a problem for the 20" bar on my 5020AV. It's just that there's enough smaller stuff (12" range) blown down that I would go for the easier stuff first.

My only concern was wondering how this one might jump or roll.

I appreciate the answers.

That is a great firewood tree and has all the common threats. I would start by giving it a haircut at the top and around the canopy. Cut all the smaller limbs that are hanging free and mostly fall free to the ground. Work you way to the center or trunk. You are removing the leverage forces and the ones that can whip or cause more binding when shifting occurs. Always keep an escape route open. Of course we can't always know if the 45* ones will roll right or left when the small end lowers to the objects below. Some may say it is overkill but I will then sometimes use chain or good rope to tie from a place near to my cut to a tree or large limb on the opposite side of the trunk from which I am standing. In other words the butt of that limb that I am releasing can not jump my direction. Don't assume you can outrun all the jumping,kicking and rolling, you can't. Have fun, enjoy the strategizing, don't rush, be safe.

What kind of saw do you have? If you don't have at least a 50-60cc saw get a pro built Echo 590(~400$ brand new!) and do a muffler mod and carb retune. It would be the cheapest way to cut up that trunk in a timely matter and enough saw for the job.

Then what I am missing is how does the root ball look like? If it is intact on the trunk donot start cutting the branches!!! Because it might simply act as a counter weight and shift the trunk around! You don't want that! The root ball comes off first!
Further I would get a simple come along and some rope and use that to tension the branch in one direction while doing your cut of the large branch.

But to be honest I was expecting a much worse situation.

What kind of saw do you have?
Poulan PP5020AV. 20-inch bar. I think I'm going to replace the Harry Homeowner safety chain with a semi-chisel.

How does the root ball look?
If you look closely at the second pic (without me) you can see another tree laying next to the one in question. The two share an exposed root ball.

I would get a simple come along and some rope and use that to tension the branch in one direction while doing your cut of the large branch.
Excellent idea.

I was expecting a much worse situation.
In my ignorant days, I would have just gone for it. But since I started spending so much time on AS, I often read posts and find myself saying, "Dang, I never would have thought of that!" So now that I know a little, I'm always wondering about all the things that I DON'T know. (And wondering about the possible disastrous consequences of not knowing them).

What kind of saw do you have?
Poulan PP5020AV. 20-inch bar. I think I'm going to replace the Harry Homeowner safety chain with a semi-chisel. Just a file stroke or two on the safety humps will expose your cutters much more, i.e. transforming safety chain to regular semi chisel.

How does the root ball look?
If you look closely at the second pic (without me) you can see another tree laying next to the one in question. The two share an exposed root ball. Take off the rootball first.

I would get a simple come along and some rope and use that to tension the branch in one direction while doing your cut of the large branch.
Excellent idea.

I was expecting a much worse situation.
In my ignorant days, I would have just gone for it. But since I started spending so much time on AS, I often read posts and find myself saying, "Dang, I never would have thought of that!" So now that I know a little, I'm always wondering about all the things that I DON'T know. (And wondering about the possible disastrous consequences of not knowing them). Asking is the only smart thing to do! There are never stupid questions!
Here is some top notch quality info! Always do what the pros do and not some selfproclaimed heros on youtube!

http://www2.worksafebc.com/Publications/Multimedia/Videos.asp?ReportID=36885

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/videos/#realvid

http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/support/working-with-chainsaws/

Here is a well known german pro showing how to very carefully take off a root ball. Every year people die from them falling over onto them!

Should help you get the right info.

Good luck and stay safe!

What kind of saw do you have? If you don't have at least a 50-60cc saw get a pro built Echo 590(~400$ brand new!) and do a muffler mod and carb retune. It would be the cheapest way to cut up that trunk in a timely matter and enough saw for the job.

Then what I am missing is how does the root ball look like? If it is intact on the trunk donot start cutting the branches!!! Because it might simply act as a counter weight and shift the trunk around! You don't want that! The root ball comes off first!
Further I would get a simple come along and some rope and use that to tension the branch in one direction while doing your cut of the large branch.

But to be honest I was expecting a much worse situation.

What are you talking about? Go buy a saw then muffler mod it have it retuned Huh! And most definitely don't cut the counter weight, HUH? How many blown over trees have you really ever cut?

Ever hear of Jimmy Hoffa? That's how they hid his body. you stuff the body under the stump then jump it closed if you know what I mean.

Couple of us cleared LOTS of big blowdowns from Sandy in a couple of Westchester parks. Typically had many big sticks up in the air. With some restraint from cable winches, we got them all down and the trails cleared, without incident.
Cable winch, with chains and tow-straps is very helpful for keeping them from getting in your face.
One big take-away was to look into a pole-saw, which I got this past Dec. Really great for dropping those high limbs.
I'm not far from you, about an hour away, and am retired. If you want help, and will have some cold ones after, my new Dolmar could use some break-in. PM me for/with specifics.

So now you know someone with a polesaw. :D

Just a file stroke or two on the safety humps will expose your cutters much more, i.e. transforming safety chain to regular semi chisel.

Joke's on me.

My saw came with a safety chain. Back in October I went to buy a new one. They didn't have any, but the shop looked at my chain and made me a replacement from a roll of Stihl chain. Today, while there for something else, I learned that he gave me regular old semi-chisel.

So I THOUGHT I was using safety chain all along, but I wasn't. Which explains why I've been confused by people who say things like "you can't bore cut with safety chain" because I bore cut just fine.

Lesson learned: Never assume.... :confused:

Maybe you didn't see my offer in #33? (New Dolly came with "Vanguard" low-kickback chain, but still rips- lots of big chips.)

Since no one said it I will. Those pictures do not show enough information about the tree to recommend doing anything. There is no way to assess, (with those pictures) the way that tree will move as the limb is removed. I'm beginning to believe any advice without standing there AND without actually getting to know his capabilities is a really BAD idea.

Get a copy of "To Fell a Tree". Watch the Husquavarna and Sthil videos. Watch the video from the progressive farmer on yoututbe. Practice on smaller and less involved trees until your experienced enough to know what to do or embrace that it may be better for someone else to tackle it and you get learn from them as they do it. I wish I was an hour or so away, I'd love to see it and talk through how to get it on the ground.

Jan,
In fact I'm waiting for the call, to show up with polesaw, cable winch and saws, to assist. OP might still be filling the cooler for afterwards.
I'm about an hour away, and it'd be fun to get a 3-man crew going there. Maybe some other time.
My new Dolly needs exercise.

Doesn't seem this complicated to me. Cut the branch from bottom to top with a pole saw. Tell me why not?

Latest posts

Back