How to find Stihl part Saw locally

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could give me a few ideas.
My brother is wanting a stihl saw. He knows I enjoy tinkering, so he is looking for a saw that has been straight gassed or is selling for parts, etc.
How is the best way to find a saw like that? Ebay is usually pricey plus shipping.
I know he doesn't want to just go buy a saw, he is looking for a project and something he can learn on with my help.

Hopefully someone has an idea, (or maybe even a saw they will part with)

Thanks

I was hoping someone could give me a few ideas.
My brother is wanting a stihl saw. He knows I enjoy tinkering, so he is looking for a saw that has been straight gassed or is selling for parts, etc.
How is the best way to find a saw like that? Ebay is usually pricey plus shipping.
I know he doesn't want to just go buy a saw, he is looking for a project and something he can learn on with my help.

Hopefully someone has an idea, (or maybe even a saw they will part with)

Thanks

i use craigs list a lot ive probably goten 20 saws from there in the past couple years,some times even in the news paper. but it might not be as easy in montana , ive got 3 states within an hour of me

Friend Craigslist garage sale newspaper try a dealer eBay someone at work family

I got a few from a guy at my work and got a 028 from my friend. All free.

The 028 p/c fine basically main parts fine. Filters lines carberator other small stuff.

I'd make sure at least p/c are good.

Good luck

ya got any logging contractors nearby ??
lots of times they rob a part from a good saw, then another, then another, till it just sits there doing nothing..(except the A/S loggers)
i asked the guy i buy firewood logs from if he had any dead saws he'd be willing to part with, he brought me a smashed 044 and an ms460 that had become an organ donor, both saws were filthy..
i was checking over the 460 after scraping a pound of dirt, oil, dust, ect off. did a comp. check with another starter recoil i had, it pulled 165 lbs. so i thought, this saw should run..
put some fresh mix in it and it fired right up...........go figure !!!

Try working at a Bank. People bring me their tired weak huddled masses of saws all the time. Its funny cause they always ask for the chainsaw guy. I don't think its weird but they do. I think its normal that a guy in a suit is always in the parking lot pullin saws ...

I sell a few cords of wood and people always ask me what I do for a living...I tell them I sell firewood to support my addiction...to chainsaw rebuilding...and they always find some hunker from their garage that needs some TLC.

Maybe try a rental shop..sometimes if you make them an offer on an item the will sell it.

I bought a 6 month old Bostich roofing nailer that way for $125, retail was $350..

Try a metal scrap yard. You would need to make an arrangement with an employee that is in the yard that would encounter this type of scrap. If you want a Stihl, get specific and tell them a Stihl scrap saw would have some value to you beyond its metal content. You may have to get a few to collect enough parts and pieces to horse trade for the right parts to assemble one.

Another potential source would be a pawn shop. They generally will take in only running stuff. Tell them you are in the market for a non running Stihl and are willing to pay x dollars if it is complete. They will then buy one for a fraction of that and sell it to you for a profit.

And friends are probably the best potential source. Make a facebook post if you're on that. Never know who has what wasting away in the garage.

I have found some decent deals on CL by browsing around. A few years back I put up a wanted ad for chainsaws on CL and scored a couple good deals as well.

Latest posts

Back