How to get in the woods in the winter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say....NOT!

jp hallman said:
So...what happens when it snows? You get stuck with that toy?
It's designed as a snowmobile trail groomer....thats means its ment to drive in deep snow towing a drag.....so you figure it out:censored:

Trails are one thing, real snow is another. Can't remember the last time I was allowed to work timber on a snowmachine trail.

jp hallman said:
Trails are one thing, real snow is another. Can't remember the last time I was allowed to work timber on a snowmachine trail.

:laugh: :laugh: My thoughts exactly! Guess that I`m an :censored: too!

jokers said:
:laugh: :laugh: My thoughts exactly! Guess that I`m an :censored: too!
well we got 2' and it didnt skip a beat...draged that 40' top out of a twisted pile of 10 or more topps ....works great for me...and with .75 psi ground pressure i dont forsee any problems....but if i get her buried....or drop a big maple on it i'll be sure to let ya know.

local REA crew has one now; they have been begging HQ for a long time. Supposedly crews really like it. Replaces a very tired Bombi J-5, which may go up on auction next spring. Whats a tired, 40-year-old J-5 worth?

stihlwoodcutter said:
well we got 2' and it didnt skip a beat...

I don`t see two foot of snow in either of your pictures but it is hard to tell.

It is a cool machine but I doubt that any trail groomer short of a Snow Cat was meant to be driven in deep snow that didn`t have a solid base below, and given that I have a portion of a local club`s heavily used trail that crosses my property within view of my house and I see the groomer with probably 10'x3' tracks struggle if we get a foot or more, which is common, I would always be mindful of that machines limitations or plan on possibly leaving it in the woods until everything gets firmed up in March. Does your machine have winches front and rear?

Russ

at .75 psi groung pressure that thing steps lightly. be careful you may step off of it and be up to your waist in snow before you know it!

Here's a machine for you. I like the cleats on this one much better, it'll cruise in deep snow. I've been there in it. Close to thirty foot drifts.

Last edited:
Unstopable , Yea tracks , snow Ice, Ask any dozer operator or excavator operator , That ever got caught in a bad postion with tracks , Yea their unstopable allright , till it slams something big enough to stop it

C&KLawncare said:
Unstopable , Yea tracks , snow Ice, Ask any dozer operator or excavator operator , That ever got caught in a bad postion with tracks , Yea their unstopable allright , till it slams something big enough to stop it

Yes indeed, I've given more than one "catskinner" a ride back to his truck before. Dozers are like lil' kittens in deep snow.

I had a friend of mine who wanted Mattracks, but it was about $10,000-$15,000 for his vehicle. I am sure they are more now(8 years ago) and they have a lot more types of tracks for different applications. I live about a mile from their headquarters and they sure do have some neat stuff. They even have a Mattracks equipped Hummer raised up 10 feet in the air on the street corner so you can completely check out the setup.

2Coilinveins said:
Neat little thing. I wonder what one costs compared to a set of Mattracks for an existing 4x4.

Used, you can find em' for five to six grand. Neat, fun machines. Not BETTER than a chained-up skidder. In fact these lil' machines won't drag much timber at all. However, they won't make a mess of the place like a heavy skidder will. Keeps many folks happy(read FS soil scientist). I know, I know. But if we want contracts we have to play the gumment game.

Latest posts

Back