How to keep stumps from growing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypo Logger said:
Hi John, around here it seems that Red Oak and Soft Maple develope multiple stems from previous stumps and are managed to a certain degree. Either the best, worst, or all stems get sawn off.
Basal area was always something I never consciously went by, but rather tried to create approx. 5 ft. between crowns and/or 25 ft. between dominant stems depending on dia.
John

Thanks John

TheSurgeon said:
Lowe's sells some kinda "stump killer". Cost around five bucks. The only drawback is that you have to drill many holes into the stump, cheap alternative though.

Don't bother. It doesn't work for crap. :angry:

I've heard that drilling holes in the stump and pouring / dripping in RoundUp works, but have never tried it?

Killing stumps

Hi guys:
I'm a new kid on the block, but really excited about what I can learn from you and maybe even contribute. First, though, I need some clearification. From what I have read about using roundup, copper sulfate or what ever, it is important to put it on a fresh cut and around the outer periphery of the tree stump. (I have lost of box elder and honeysuckle bush to get rid of.) Is it better to wait until spring or summer or is it OK to do this during late winter or near spring (When the bugs and sketers are sleeping)?

Also, any special advice for getting rid of wild grape? It's hard to control and killing my small trees.

Glad to know ya,
Olhickory

hi, ol'hickory ! you make an excellent point about WHERE the RoundUp should be placed. it makes perfect sense that it be poured / dripped around the periphery... where the phloem might (hopefully?) take it to the root system. and as you suggest, on a fresh cut. i have yet to try this.
>>> so here's a ??? >>> if you RE-cut a base (to expose tissue) on an older base, would the vascular system be so shut down that this whole exercise would be pointless ?

Hey Treechick, if the vascular system is so shut down that a recut as close to ground as possible makes no difference then I would say that nothing much would regrow anyway as there's no supply chain!

Perhaps though, depending on the species, suckers may emerge from places other than the stump, then you'd have to poison those "little suckers". :laugh:

Latest posts

Back