How to modify gas to oil ratios

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You also need to know exactly how many drops of gasoline are in the gallon; you might be off by 25-30.

I know. I got wwwwaaaayyy to much time on my hands:msp_rolleyes:

Hi Murph. I like it when you chime in cause you work on these small 2 cycle engines and I value your opinion. I found this handy conversion chart on the internet. It should be pretty darn close. Click here: 15W-40 engine oil amounts converter | Automotive | Convert to units and culinary measures.

Just used the trimmer for the first time for maybe 30 minutes. Used up almost all of the 8 ounces I put in. Almost none left to dump out. It's just a cheapie 27cc Cub Cadet model BC210 from Tractor Supply ($149). But it worked just fine. Took me maybe a minute to measure 8 ounces in to a measuring cup, add 26 drops of oil and stir it up a bit. Super simple and no big deal at all. From my chart, I knew I needed to add .04 ounces of oil. That's how I got the 26 drops.

Here's a pic of my data and the results.

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hey Don, great chart. You wouldn't happen to be an engineer of some type would you? It looks like a product of engineer thinking, and that is not meant to be an insult, it's just how engineer types think. I guess I fall in to the keep life simple category. I run 50:1 Stihl Ultra Synthetic in all two cycle equipment at my place, All saws, including old blue Homelites, Lawnboy mowers, trimmers, blowers,etc. Have had no problems with any of them so I guess it is OK.Steve

Hi Steve. I'm no engineer. I use to teach accounting and computer courses at a tech college, so I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I just retired last Thursday and have wwwwaaayyyy to much time on my hands. Hence the chart.

Don <><

attachment.php

I'll only be using this thing like once every 2 or 3 months for maybe 20 minutes at a time and only during the summer. That's just twice a year and 40 minutes of annual run time. I hate to make a special batch just for that.

Don <><

If I were only going to be using the trimmer that small amount...I'd just buy a quart of the 40:1 premixed fuel.

I think it's shelf life is 2 years or more..and it doesn't contain any ethanol. At ~ $6..it's not expensive for your use.
(just my 2¢ worth)
:cheers:
J2F

Hey, happy retirement!

Oh noes, now you will be forced to cut and split more wood, plus get a sunday driving muscle car to restore.....

Congrats on the retirement :cool2:

I retiired back in 98; just keep your self busy and buy plenty of saw's to play with :msp_ohmy:

I run all my saw's and string trimmers at 45:1 :hmm3grin2orange:

For the saws, I run 40:1. When I need to run the trimmer, it needs 50:1 as it simply will not run on 40:1. Carb passages seems to be too small for that thick of a mix.

So what I do is mix a can of 40:1, then fill the tank on the trimmer about 2/3's full, and top off with straight gas. If figure I'm getting someting like 50:1. Every can I mix is slightly different... I get it as close as possible. Doesn't require much carb tweaking.

btw... the seashell vpower is still e-free here in michigan... I tested it and it certainly is pure. smells a lot different too. (don't inhale large quantities, obviously)

50:1 everywhere. I mix one can of premium gas separate for the chainsaw (same ratio with Husky oil), but the rest gets regular gas and 50:1 mix.

McCullough trimmer, Lawn-boy mower (probably older than me), '94 Polaris quad (oil injection disabled before I got it). The trimmer acts up, won't take full throttle off-choke until I'm half-done using it, but it was always like that from new. It's supposed to get 40:1 but I won't waste time mixing more separate cans than I have to. Come to think of it, the mower calls for 20:1 !!! I run the carb a bit rich anyway.

As mentioned either get a can of 40:1 Tru Fuel for the weed whacker or run 40:1 in everything.

The builder of my hot rods recommended 40:1. Guess what the weed whacker now runs on along with every other two stroke here - 40:1.

I suggest buying a Ratio Rite. Makes life a TON easier. :cool2:

Here's a link to it, inexpensive and indispensable...at least to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-RATIO-RITE-Ratio-Rite-Measuring/dp/B0045L9FJM

Last edited:
I just retired last Thursday and have wwwwaaayyyy to much time on my hands. Hence the chart.
If you need to fine things to do just drive down here and my wife can keep you busy.

How much is a drop?
It varies alot different droppers will give different volume drops depending on geometry and
material for the same liquid. Different liquids will also have an great effect. Temperature
(viscosity) will also be a variable.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that can be used. PM me your email if anyone is interested.
I am a chemist and it is a variation of one I give to our customers for mixing metalworking
fluids.

If you fella's would give up on measuring your fluids in ounces and pints and used litres and mililitres (AKA the metric system) like the rest of the world, it'd make life so much easier for you all :msp_tongue:

Of course I'm just plain lazy and use an Accu-Mix instead :D
(courtesy of another member)

accu-mix_filled.jpg
accu-mix_beauty.jpg

It has 15, 16, 20, 25, 32, 40 and 50:1 moulded into the sides.
It's brilliant.

If you fella's would give up on measuring your fluids in ounces and pints and used litres and mililitres (AKA the metric system) like the rest of the world, it'd make life so much easier for you all :msp_tongue:

Of course I'm just plain lazy and use an Accu-Mix instead :D
(courtesy of another member)

accu-mix_filled.jpg
accu-mix_beauty.jpg

It has 15, 16, 20, 25, 32, 40 and 50:1 moulded into the sides.
It's brilliant.

Hell then they would be as smart as us fellas TDI-RICK
McBob.

Why is it such a big deal mixing oil anything between 40:1-50:1 is good to run in any equipment so why fuss over drops?:bang:

Latest posts

Back