How to move air?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climberjones

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any tips on getting heat from my woodstove in to other rooms other than hanging a fan in my doorway?

Any tips on getting heat from my woodstove in to other rooms other than hanging a fan in my doorway?

somehow you cut a hole BEHIND your stove and put a fan where it pulls air back to it.. like you put a duct and vent in the furthest room away from the stove and it recycle's itself. Don't ask me exactly how.. but if you have a basement you can just cut a hole and not use ducting

Running a return or a vent that removes air within 10' of a stove is against code. There have been many to try it and realize that the heat is lost through the ducting. I've read of good results by pointing a box fan towards the stove, allowing for circulation. Ceiling fans, and running the central blower on low sometimes helps too.

You have to create natural air currents. Hot air is "high"; cold air is "low". You want to pull the cold air out of the cold rooms and blow that cold air towards your stove room. Example: Our stove is in our living room. On the opposite side of that room is the hallway to the bedroom wing. I have a small 6" table top fan sitting on the floor blowing cold air into the stove room. It seems counter intuitive to blow cold air 'in' instead of blowing hot air 'out' but try it - you will be pleasantly surprised. If you have a ceiling fan - have it blowing air 'up' for winter.

While it doesn't sound like you will be cutting any vents in a floor or wall - here's a caution for you if you do: You should use a vent called a 'fire damper vent'. Exposed to high heat, the damper closes and halts a direct fire hazard to an adjacent room.

Running a return or a vent that removes air within 10' of a stove is against code. There have been many to try it and realize that the heat is lost through the ducting. I've read of good results by pointing a box fan towards the stove, allowing for circulation. Ceiling fans, and running the central blower on low sometimes helps too.

A hole behind the stove with a fan would actually ADD air would it not? suck the air FROM the back room? and somehow my buddy did this using a vent of his central air near his stove and basically used the rest of the vents to have air return to the one with his fan.. not real sure exactly

A hole behind the stove with a fan would actually ADD air would it not? suck the air FROM the back room? and somehow my buddy did this using a vent of his central air near his stove and basically used the rest of the vents to have air return to the one with his fan.. not real sure exactly

sounds like hes just using his existing central air ducting to circulate air through the house by installing a blower near the stove hes basicly causing the heat to move on out of the hottest room with the stove in it to all the other rooms wich could work while its not exactly a return and its not really feasible to install a return on a wood stove like you would a furnace with ducting, if you didnt have existing ducting you could probably easily due the same thing in an attic with some insulated flexible ducting a blower and some registers in the ceiling to pull air out of the cold room and dump it into the hottest room with the stove creating circulation and it would probably be more effective than ceiling fans, box fans etc but may be more work than the original poster wants to do.

Back