How to remove 441 carb with throttle cable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left the cylinder attached to the carb baffle. Made things a lot easier.
That's not the issue. I am talking about attaching the manifold to the carburetor support bracket. That carb bracket must be removed from the manifold in order to install a new cylinder. The manifold must then be removed from the old cylinder and attached to the new one. Then you have to re-attach it to the carb bracket.
1591744250898.png
I found this to be a hopeless suggestion. How did you do it? Please advise.

Well this sure escalated quickly! Would you say this is opened correctly? Im not sure what it looked like originally so i dont have anything to go by other than the top flap opens to almost 50/50. Everything looks correct on the throttle cable side of things

Attachments

• 20200609_161631.jpg
    20200609_161631.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200609_160041.jpg
    20200609_160041.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Well this sure escalated quickly! Would you say this is opened correctly? Im not sure what it looked like originally so i dont have anything to go by other than the top flap opens to almost 50/50. Everything looks correct on the throttle cable side of things
Seems OK but check the side view. The sleeve of the cable must be behind the plastic guide that contains the felt (2).
1591745484176.png
If that cable sleeve slips forward when you pull the throttle trigger, WOT will not be reached.

The sleeve being the nylon looking stuff covering the cable right? It looks like the sleeve is behind and only the cable is coming through the plastic clamp looking things (part 2 in the photo)
Yes, that's the sleeve. The throttle trigger pulls on the cable through the sleeve as the sleeve stays fixed in back of the guide. That allows the ball on the end of the cable to move the throttle flap to WOT.

yeah, that all seems normal....its just kinda strange the top part opens to a full 50/50 and the bottom doesnt. However, it does look like it opens as much as JKStihls on the video he posted

Therefore, you should be getting WOT. Did you use pull strings to fasten that dual manifold elbow back into the carb support bracket, inside the two holes? That was a useless exercise for me. If not, how did you reattach that carb support bracket to the two flanged hoses?
1591748036266.png
I found this string pulling idea to be an impossible mission.

yeah, like i said, mine looks exactly like JKStihls does. Pulling the dual manifold was a pain in the ass, but eventually we got it. Tried the string method and that worked a little...tried a little of everything actually.

I havent tried putting it all back together and firing it up yet. Like i said earlier, it just looks like it should be opened more, but at the same time it looks the exact same as in the video

That was just a stab at cuinrearview.

That is pretty good advice and I would do it if I had all the stuff on hand but by the time I bought all that stuff i might as well get the mityvac. Not insulting u at all.

That wasn't my problem. Take a bit more than that to hurt my feelings- but the thing is, others read these posts, they may have something constructive to add- but read the "stab at "posts and figure why bother trying to help out a smartass.
Teasing and having a laugh is okay- going that step further, not so funny.

Yeah, whats up with them peppermint cancer sticks? Never seen no logger smoke those! :laugh:

It would be because most of the loggers I know throw a big chaw in and go go work. Smoking in certain regions this time of the year is a good way to get the woods burning. I’m not much into snoose or cigs, but it is what the cool kids do.

;)

Also, the M-Tronic 441s seem to pull harder than the early ones. Stihl made a lot of changes to the model while it was in production, I hope it runs for you.

It would be because most of the loggers I know throw a big chaw in and go go work. Smoking in certain regions this time of the year is a good way to get the woods burning. I’m not much into snoose or cigs, but it is what the cool kids do.

;)

Also, the M-Tronic 441s seem to pull harder than the early ones. Stihl made a lot of changes to the model while it was in production, I hope it runs for you.

That could well be, but back in my day- most loggers shrugged their shoulders at no smoking rules. :laugh: Only people I ever saw smoking menthol cigarettes were teenage girls. :surprised3:

;)

It certainly does, with base delete and timing advance. Going to muffler mod it and the next couple days. It’s got a mtronic bottom and top end with just the non mtronic carb.

And those ain’t my cigs I do something even more degrading.... vape lol

That's not the issue. I am talking about attaching the manifold to the carburetor support bracket. That carb bracket must be removed from the manifold in order to install a new cylinder. The manifold must then be removed from the old cylinder and attached to the new one. Then you have to re-attach it to the carb bracket.
View attachment 834668
I found this to be a hopeless suggestion. How did you do it? Please advise.
Always loop of string,never had a problem.

That could well be, but back in my day- most loggers shrugged their shoulders at no smoking rules. :laugh: Only people I ever saw smoking menthol cigarettes were teenage girls. :surprised3:

Now it’ll get you kicked off (sometimes literally) most decent tracts during fire season. Also, I have a foreman who runs water/sewer for me in his late 60s who chain smokes menthols. I don’t get it. It’s like “let’s add to the cancer...with a cool finish.”

I don’t get vaping either. Just a denser gas that displaces more air & is filled with broadly synthetic chemicals.

Frankly, I’ve breathed enough smoke for a few lifetimes filled with nasty stuff, for reasons that in hindsight make no sense.

OK. Next time (If there ever is one) I will try braided nylon string, probably mason line. Frankly, I was afraid that force would tear off or damage the lips when pulled tightly. Once those are gone, the part becomes trash. This engineering design is absurd.

Maybe I’m weird, but I found them a pleasure to work on, not near as simple as 1128s, but seems to be a well thought out design with superior air filtration than the 1128s. Also more gains than a 1128 with just a base gasket delete and timing advance. She is absolutely brutal with a 25” will try and get some vids today.

Here is a video after final tune, will get some cutting videos when I get to some wood. 25” bar.

Things I like over my 046:

1. The spring antivibe over the rubber antivibe.

Will update list after further cutting.

You apparently had no trouble removing the piston pin. Mine was frozen (almost welded) to the piston. I should have built my own special tool with a C-clamp to press it out rather than try to pound it out. Fortunately, I was unable to get it 2/3 out without snapping the rod. The tool Stihl offered for removing it failed miserably. There are yet other difficulties awaiting a rebuilder, but I hate to list them all here on your thread.

Back