How to Sell 3 Black Walnut Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:stupid:

I am specifically referring to trees too small or imprefect to grade as veneer. The hugantuan veneer walnuts are in a different category. Most people don't have 'em.

serial feller,

Oh i agree it's possible to make a living from logging black walnut.
If you have the right trees and quality, right number of them, an owner that is involved in the process and a strong back.
Doing that work without big machinery is a big plus on the overhead costs but a big minus on time and the back.

I bet though when all is said for the work you did and to get it to mill and the money earned from that, the return was little more than firewood returns would have been.
16 cords of wood or 8 decent sized trees are around 3200$.

Curious if the white oak was similar price or better than the black walnut at the mill?
At least with white oak one is pretty much the same as the next (well sort of ) :)

Down here white oak butt logs top out at $1.25 at the stave mill. I usually average about .85 / .90 cents for stave logs. Not bad money. If they dont make the stave grade and have the diameter they will bring .60 for RR ties. Gotta keep the wine and whiskey makers set up with barrels! I wonder how much of my product ends up holding Canadian whiskey? Gotta love VO!

serial feller,

LOL i wonder how much of the white oak you have cut i have tasted :)

Not a bad price for white oak.
We have some pretty serious both red and white oak trees here on woodlots and even on personal properties.
Same for black walnut.

I visited one site this year with about 30 real huge oaks that i had to recommend a logging company to remove them, i cut quite a few trees at the site but didn't tackle the 30 dinosaurs.
Have seen many huge oaks in smaller amounts that i had to pass on and recommended the same logging company.
Kind of wished i had asked for a percent of the mill $ on them.

You know you have a big tree when your longest saw even working from both sides is way to short to reach for a fell cut.

No fun making a plunge cut before you do a two sided fell cut just so your saw can reach.
Moving from one side to the other for a slow fell cut was also no fun since a sloppy cut on either side meant a sloppy fall.

I quite playing that game many years ago when my saw ripped one side out of a fell cut that was rotten and the tree spun and dropped right towards me.
I limit max tree size to what my saw will cut in one go ever since.

serial feller,

LOL i wonder how much of the white oak you have cut i have tasted :)

Not a bad price for white oak.
We have some pretty serious both red and white oak trees here on woodlots and even on personal properties.
Same for black walnut.

I visited one site this year with about 30 real huge oaks that i had to recommend a logging company to remove them, i cut quite a few trees at the site but didn't tackle the 30 dinosaurs.
Have seen many huge oaks in smaller amounts that i had to pass on and recommended the same logging company.
Kind of wished i had asked for a percent of the mill $ on them.

You know you have a big tree when your longest saw even working from both sides is way to short to reach for a fell cut.

No fun making a plunge cut before you do a two sided fell cut just so your saw can reach.
Moving from one side to the other for a slow fell cut was also no fun since a sloppy cut on either side meant a sloppy fall.

I quite playing that game many years ago when my saw ripped one side out of a fell cut that was rotten and the tree spun and dropped right towards me.
I limit max tree size to what my saw will cut in one go ever since.

I am in Ontario myself and I was wondering how big were these oak trees that your biggest bar wouldnt reach even halfway?? As I have personally seen a 6 foot or so diameter oak in muskoka but that was only one tree... most of the big oaks ive seen here were around 4 or so feet in diameter.

Alex D,

6' to 7' in southern Ontario near the great lakes.
Most of the oaks here are 3'- 4' also.

I've seen some even bigger than 7' on deep woods fishing trips not to far from you but not much bigger than 7', seems to be about as big as they get.

99% of the time I'm working on city or near city trees 3' or smaller so my big bar is 36" less the tooth grab of a couple inches it puts me just to short for a 6'.

Although i can get away with a couple side cuts to create room on a near 5' tree and do a single fell cut, anything bigger than 5' and it would be a plunge cut and crazy double fell cut.

Once a tree gets to near 5' though the increased work VS minimal extra income isn't worth the time.
Especially with a 36" bar :)

Last edited:
most mils arownd hear will not toutch yard trees no mater what kind. blades are to expenseve to fix

stevejr33,

I've never taken anything to the mill in my area but i would expect if you arrived with decent wood and quantity they would take it.
I can imagine they wouldn't want individual people arriving with 1 tree.
The insurance problems that would cause and like you say broken blades are no fun for the mill on a tree worth next to nothing that probably just slowed up other real wood deliveries.

most mils arownd hear will not toutch yard trees no mater what kind. blades are to expenseve to fix

Same here

Blades are just one aspect. It costs them a small fortune to be down as well. If they're fixing not milling, they're losing money, not making it.

Few guys with portable or Alaskans will mill logs in your yard, but the landowner is responsible for the cleanup, damage due to dragging / moving the log(s) and ruts created by trucks / trailers. Payment amount is based on BF of heartwood that reduces the value even further. Based on what they pay, these trees are worth far more in firewood right now than in lumber.

Take Care

Swamp Yankee,

Same here for lumber VS firewood.
If i get low on firewood i can call a logging truck to deliver 30 or so 2' trees limbed and ready to cut up for around 300$ to my site.
Much cheaper than time and fuel to go cut them.
A few are black walnut so the value of one 2' black walnut is around 10$ delivered.
None of the trees are ever going to be thought of as high quality lumber, but they are high quality firewood.

The tree is 61" around the trunk? That puts it at 19"dia., around here, it should be at LEAST 18" for someone to even look at it. They want the dark colored wood in the middle of the log, not the white wood. My dad had to cut down about 70 walnuts that were about 22" max and most went to firewood....not big enough. The video at the start of the thread was right on!!! funny

I have 3 black walnut trees and would like to know how to sell them. The biggest one is 61 inches round, 3 feet off the trunk. It is pretty straight. I need to get rid of them as soon as possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

What happened to that: "highly valuable black walnut log " video? I can't find it, and it is priceless!

What happened to that: "highly valuable black walnut log " video? I can't find it, and it is priceless!
i seen that video , the thing that gets me is all you guys start bawling when you don;t scam the home owner, homeowners get your bids going , walnut threes are worth money , or just keep them , get a price war going, we got everything from i am tried got go take it or leave it, ah oh the famous two beetles eating the walnut,, and oh i wouldn't have come back out here if i had known you wouldn't take my offer , homeowners the dnr your area has orpestive tree buyers , do not take the first bid

i seen that video , the thing that gets me is all you guys start bawling when you don;t scam the home owner, homeowners get your bids going , walnut threes are worth money , or just keep them , get a price war going, we got everything from i am tried got go take it or leave it, ah oh the famous two beetles eating the walnut,, and oh i wouldn't have come back out here if i had known you wouldn't take my offer , homeowners the dnr your area has orpestive tree buyers , do not take the first bid
i am a tree carver i love to carve but i love trees and think what God place in the ground should stay in the ground until mother nature rips them out

Latest posts

Back