How to train groundies for using a Port-a-wrap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is a little older thread

But I recently ran into the need to train the person on the ground and have been thinking of it. I've gotten some good ideas on how to train them to let it run smooth from this and another thread on the port a wrap. I was actually toying with the idea of getting a spar set up to this point, coming down off the spar and showing them from the ground. I don't like the idea of coming down off the tree with the top of the spar cut nearly all the way through; though with a straight no branch weight fairly fat spar I could leave enough holding wood and stick a little wedge in the backcut to make it safe enough. Then when on the ground pull the piece off the top of the spar while myself controlling the rope through the port a wrap.

green = lowering rope
blue = pull rope
pink =slings
the usual port a wrap at the bottom of the spar and the pulley rigged below the cut.

(maybe put a little shelf on the top of the spar below the cut and put a cup of water on it.... see if I can not spill any of it--- (could maybe teach me to let it run a little better too)

I know, not very repeatable or efficient.

I have thought of something similar.
Like you said though,not repeatable ,and not very safe if climbing down from the spar that has a chunk ready to drop at any second.

Could work if there was another tree in wich to rig climb line and a lift line from.
Just re-tie after each drop,then replace it back on the spar hook it back to limb line with poty ,and just reach over and tip it over,repeat as needed.

Bucket with material handler,and 40 ft spar would work good I suppose.
Spar and chunk would need to be spring pole like in order to get the point accross.
Let them learn to catch pc with minimum movement of spar.

just need to work out the details

repeatable plus it gets safer... and gives you practice in raising things.

I like the way you think

ozzy42
"Could work if there was another tree in wich to rig climb line and a lift line from.
Just re-tie after each drop,then replace it back on the spar hook it back to limb line with poty ,and just reach over and tip it over,repeat as needed."

now just need to find the two trees on my property to make it happen...

good use of something similar

One last post for me on this thread. sometimes it helps to see things at least for me. I don't know what exactly they are using in this tree but it seems pretty similar to a Portawrap. the last 45 seconds or so demonstrate fairly well --number of wraps is a big part of it. but when you've got # of wraps/diameter of rope/size of porty/weight of the piece falling all judged well; then -- Trust that device to do what it will, you get the wraps just right and then even just letting the slack out of the rope to where it doesn't have a dip in it from the person on the ground to porty'll slow that piece down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SImom9cGpQc

Youtube

I haven't found anything on youtube yet giving a good demonstration on the port a wrap, but it would be mucho appreciated for one of you that's got some good experience to post one.
Dang I would even throw in a six pack of your favorite for helping the rest of us out!
Steve W.

My take on the whole issue is wrap the tree , the ropes are wiped out quick if you glaze them over the crotch anyway , so I keep it simple I say HEAVY OR LIGHT and hold the slack I want in the line where the work is ... I hardly ever "run" a rope except to keep trunk wood from parting the line only so when its hit the ground it doesn't run away from the tree or down a hill or situation where I have to keep it close ... The port a wraps and the GRCS are nice where needed but most work doesn't warrant that for me ...Just keep it simple and in as few steps as possible complex rigging is something that can't be taught without experience ..

Latest posts

Back