How well does this stuff work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Tree Stuff - Florel Fruit Eliminator

I have a client with a decent sized avocado that produces unwanted fruit. The tree hangs over their Spanish tile roof and they are concerned that the avocados may cause some damage. Moreover, the client indicated the fruits themselves were not edible and she is filling up her green waste recycling can with them every week.

The tree itself has a bifurcated trunk of 12-18" on each side. I would say it's about 25' high. It appears that it was regularly pruned quite heavily (though not topped) by the previous homeowner (my client recently moved in) assuming due to the large amount of unwanted fruit it produces.

My question is, how well do Florel and other ethelphon based products work? Is it worth the yearly expense for the client or should I suggest removal and replacement? (Would take about a half day, not a difficult or expensive job).

Hi mike,
To be effective the the whole tree has to be sprayed and that isn't always easy on bigger trees. Its used a lot out here on Olive trees and is sometimes effective some times not from my experience.
I like to shy a way from chemicals and found spraying a strong jet of water to knock off the flowers to work almost as good. That's on Olives, Not positive it would work on an avocado, but don't see why not. but again its harder on large trees.
As far as expense there are lots of companys that offer the service and will come out each year. I don't know what they charge but it couldn't be that much. Avocado are sensitive to environmental changes and what not. They may not take the application of certain chemical well.(Just a thought) Beastmaster

Last edited:
Thanks, Wade. I referred the client over to some spray companies though they are still considering removal. Quite a nice tree though. The previous owners built their deck around it.

Looking forward to attacking some palms with you on Saturday. My 200t is in the shop right now. Hopefully, she will be back in time!

Latest posts

Back