How's an 046?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamradio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the opportunity to buy a MS460 Magnum (046) parts saw. How are they on power to weight ratio? I'm looking to sell the 039 and get a bigger saw. Is it pure overkill for firewood? I have a friend who uses an 044 he bought new for firewood, he likes it. I've used the 044 before, and I like it. Isn't an 046 same saw, bigger cyl/piston?

It's kinda the same, a little more wieght, little more power. If it is the one you refferd to in the other thread for $40, buy it and but the Big Bore kit on it, wicked saws after that!!! I love mine when I need it, not often, but when I do, I really need it, it pulls a 32" bar with no problems. Might be a little heavey for firewood, but glocking and chinking the bigger stuff, it's a nice way to fly!!!
Andy

Good saws. Twice the power of the 039 you are used to. Just ask Andy, he know all about the 039/390's and the 046's. They are one of the biggest firewood saws arond here with a 20-24" bar. I used one for quite a while after my 044 was stolen. After I sold it, there is an emptiness in my saw collection, so I bought a parts saw to replace it.

Is it the best 75-80cc saw ever made? NO. Is it the worst? NO

Will it cut just about anything you will ever run across? YES.

Enough said. Go buy it, if not, I'll give you double he asking price plus shipping (I need some parts to finish mine, lol).

Good luck. Your in trouble now, just get out while you still can.

Didn't even notice you had the 039, the 046 is light years ahead of that!!! Weighs about a pound and a half more, but will pull a 25" bar like nothing you have run before!!!! The BB kit puts it up in the 066 class without the weight, trust me, you will get this and wave bye bye to that 039!!!!
Andy

If you cut some big wood your missing out not having a big saw. Really goes a lot faster blocking big logs and you can quarter big blocks length ways without straining your saw. Best to have a smaller saw around for the limbing and small stuff so you dont get over worked.

The 046 is an excellent saw. You won't be dissapointed with it. I traded in a gutless wonder 036 on mine when I bought it. The dealer knew I was very unhappy with the perormance of the 036, I think thats why he sold me a saw 3 sizes bigger. :laugh:
I've never looked back. I run a 20" bar, the saw just plays with it.

Ed

Latest posts

Back