How's This Piston Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is on topic. What is the proper way to clean carbon build up in the exhaust port so that it does not get back into the cylinder in such a way that it damages the piston or cylinder? With the piston covering the window or the piston on bottom so that anything that gets back in is blown out when it is fired again?

I think this is on topic. What is the proper way to clean carbon build up in the exhaust port so that it does not get back into the cylinder in such a way that it damages the piston or cylinder? With the piston covering the window or the piston on bottom so that anything that gets back in is blown out when it is fired again?
I wouldn’t clean carbon from the exhaust port without removing the cylinder

That last picture of the piston 😱. This is why I never loan out my saws when my buddies ask! I just go with them and do the cutting, gives me a reason to play with my saws 👍
Very wise, the number of saws I repaired due to being lent out :-( I would never lend my saws to anyone. Example, a farmer friend had a new saw and someone doing fence work for him left their saw home and needed one. I would have let him go home and pick up his own saw but he lent his. It was filled with straight fuel and ruined very quickly. He didnt know until weeks later and he went to use it and wouldnt start. The person didnt even tell him. Look after your saws and dont lend them.

Pulled this piston out of my 262 I rebuilt a year or so ago. To my untrained eye it doesn't look too bad apart from some carbon on the exhaust side. I'd appreciate some feedback on the condition, so that I can learn more about what I should be looking for aside from the obvious like scoring. This was cleaned in my ultrasonic cleaner before pictures, which is why the piston head has some discoloration and no carbon. Thanks all!
OFTEN, SCORING IS CAUSED BY FINES getting thru the air filter.

Very wise, the number of saws I repaired due to being lent out :-( I would never lend my saws to anyone. Example, a farmer friend had a new saw and someone doing fence work for him left their saw home and needed one. I would have let him go home and pick up his own saw but he lent his. It was filled with straight fuel and ruined very quickly. He didnt know until weeks later and he went to use it and wouldnt start. The person didnt even tell him. Look after your saws and dont lend them.
If ya have to loan, get a cash deposit= replacement $$?

If iooked into the exhaust port and saw that it would definitely sound some alarms. Not what you want to see on a fairly recent rebuild, the erosion at the crown, darkening down the top land, vertical scoring, id start with low quality fuel..maybe older fuel, id consider trying a different oil too, its gotten quite hot

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Back