How's your wood pile coming along?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
I have all of next years' wood in, plus a little extra.... Yea!!!!!!!!

11.5+ cords in the tent, and mine are pretty tight cords... I was concerned about snow collapsing the tent, so the wood is stacked to the roof all over. the sides have chainlink fencing inside.... Hmmm.. seems to a have a bit of a lean...

attachment.php

The "real" woodshed to the right has 10 cords from last year (burning this year after I finish the rest of the wood from 2007 winter), plus another new cord in front (damn over-flow).

I thought two piles was plenty.. but now I need another woodshed for 2010 winter...

I have about 1 cord cut, split and stacked. I have another cord or so on the trailer to split and stack. Im going out in the morning to cut wood for my parents. I have 3 places to cut near home, and one is an estimated 12 cords of nothing but Osange Orange. I think I will be cutting that up little by little all winter long. MAN that stuff burns hot, but its hell on chains.

I really dont have room to bring home all of next years wood yet as my racks are only a little bit depleted so far of last year's harvest of an estimated 9 cords. I need to build some more wood racks...

14 cord willow, 8 cord locust cut and drying from this year. Around 10 cord of locust that was cut over 10 years ago. 3 or 4 cord of Willow cut last year. All that in outside stacks. (dry climate here)

2 1/2 cord in back porch, 3 cord in woodshed for this years use.

7 cord willow sold and delivered (so far)

Harry K

Lakeside

You split your wood a bit larger than I do.. I split mine small enough even the wife can handle it. I like it when my wife willingly handle my wood.Without complaining. LOL

I'm doing good now I finally finished my splitter so I got 1/2 the pile (9 cord) I had split and stacked, right now for me I have about 3 years worth but I'm supplying my wifes grandmother and her parents with wood, I might not have enough for everyone come late winter. I have a job starting up in a week or so to clear a lot of tree's from some fence rows and clear a path for some big machinery to pass through the woods. Looks like a lot of cutting so I will be set for next year also.:cheers:

A little over a cord of 2.5-4" diameter apricot and pear limbs (good fire-starters and high BTU), 1/2 cord of seasoned mesquite, and 1 cord of seasoned elm split and stacked at the back door of my cottage and the honeyhouse... Another 3 cords of the elm in 4' bolts, ready for buckin' and splittin'...

I just got through building a new split-wood wood pile alongside the honeyhouse side wall... it's oakwood slats on platforms raised 4" off ground... 4'x16'... I can stack split wood up about 8' high there... could stack it higher, but it's too hard to reach it off the top. So I can store 4 cords of ready-to-burn wood on this new platform.

In the next two weeks, I hope to get up 2-3 more cords of the apricot/pear, and another cord or two of the mesquite, and 6-8 more cords of the elm. These will all be 4' bolts, piled-up for now for later buckin' and splittin'.

Last winter, I burned apricot and pear wood... whole mature and dead trees with limbs and trunks ranging from 2.5" to 24" in diameter. But a cabinet-maker buddy has offered to trade me seasoned oak for the fruitwood and so I'm holding about a cord of the bigger fruitwood for him to mill into 1x's to make custom cabinets for rich people's homes.

I ripped one of the Siberian Elm logs 8'x24" and it sure is pretty wood inside... tight-grained and reddish-colored... nice grain patterns. So I'm thinking about trying to get some 2x6's milled from some of it. Good for pole-barn and plank floors... And another buddy of mine is into turning bowls on his lathe, so will probably take him some choice pieces... have two big burls about 20" diameter... I cut one in half and it's solid all the way through.

Bowtie, how big diameter is that osage orangewood? Does any of it run straight enough to make millable logs??... say, 4' up to 12'?? If so, where are you in Kansas?? I've got a hunting knife made from a file and bo'dark handle an old man made for me 33 years ago. .. balances perfectly at the hilt.

Most people around here burn juniper and pinyon wood. Juniper burns hot and fast and is best for starting-up a fire. The pinon is a good firewood... very aromatic... and I plan to bring in a cord or two of it. A girlfirend offered me cutting privileges on her 20-acher place.

I can load up to four cords on my '78 Chevy flatbed Won-Ton, but have to watch some of the 800-1000-feet in one mile hills around here... hard on the clutch... creepin' up Burro Hill in 1st or granny gear... so I load 2-3 cords for a haul.

Last edited:
Here's a little over half of what I'll need for '09
'08 wood is in the barn, I'll move this pile in the dry next fall
I'll use about 3 cords of splits and 1 cord of 10-12" rounds (over-nighters) per year

Left-to-right: hickory, post oak, black oak

IMG_2144.jpg

This is just about a 3 years supply for around here as it rarely gets below freezin. 90% debarked oak. The resizing software I'm using isnt the greatest. :computer2:

Looks like some of us have been busy little beavers in the firewood department, I don`t have any recent picts but have about 40 cords currently cut and split. Some piled inside for this years burning and the rest piled outside with covers over the top of each single row to keep the rain and snow out, the sides are open to the wind and sun and that is how I have seasoned wood here for over 40 years. I have just hauled out another 40 cords in 8' lengths with another 55-60 cords cut in 8' lengths still in the woods piled roadside. My cutting buddy has about 40 cord to be cut up before Christmas so a couple weekends cutting coming up. The 044`s and MS 440`s will get a workout and a couple of the Sachs Dolmars also.
Pioneerguy600

Bowtie, how big diameter is that osage orangewood? Does any of it run straight enough to make millable logs??... say, 4' up to 12'?? If so, where are you in Kansas?? I've got a hunting knife made from a file and bo'dark handle an old man made for me 33 years ago. .. balances perfectly at the hilt.

Osage Orange (hedge) can get pretty damn big. I will post some pics tomorrow of some huge hedge trees. I have seen it over 5 foot diameter. The problem is, either carpenter ants eat the center out of them, (common here), and or, the big tree specimen is several small trees grown into one, and the grain is twisted and gnarled. Osage Orange is a mean nasty species with thorns all over the smaller branches sometimes.

It would be possible to obtain pieces suitable for milling, but most really arent straight enough. I live smack dab in the middle of Kansas, just north of Salina.

All set for this year, and based upon past burn rates, probably good for 2/3 of next year. The friends and family I keep supplied are doing pretty well, and should have enough for this year.

Once the ground freezes up, it'll be time to start bringing wood for 2010+ home.

Pg600

How many cords a year do you burn.... Wow. That's a lot of wood.

I need to get out and cut some more, I have maybe 2 or 3 cord cut for next year and want to get about three times that much more cut before spring. It's all piled out in the weather for now, will be getting a 12x20 wood shed built before spring to put it in. The pile's a little bigger than this by a pickup load and I have an 18x4 rack behind the barn full.
attachment.php

Ian

I have about 4 cord of Red Oak, White Oak, and a little Maple all split for '09. I'll need about 2 more cord to last the entire season. I let my wife stack it because when I do the stacking it looks like poo and the pile falls over.

When she stacks the wood it looks like a work of art and I could park a dozer on top of the stacks. So no sense fighting it...go with your strengths.:cheers:

My wood shed is a little over half full mainly with Ironbark, I've had no heating
bills for 15 years which pays for my cad. :cheers:

wdMedium.jpg

That pile reminds me of that kid's game Jenga... remove pieces until it collapses

Latest posts

Back