How's your wood pile coming along?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you seem to burn a lot of wood! Are you running OWB's? Four cords is a good number for one year's worth of burning. Sometimes winter comes early and leaves late and I have burned 7 cords in a year. I have one wood stove, a Cumberland Gap Quadrafire and it keeps the whole house toasty.

So far I have 7 cords split and stacked and another cord to be split. I expect to bring in another four cords at least this season. 90% oak and 10% Lodgepole Pine. I'll be splitting on Friday and cutting on Sat. I can't wait to get out there!
Dok

Some of you seem to burn a lot of wood! Are you running OWB's? Four cords is a good number for one year's worth of burning. Sometimes winter comes early and leaves late and I have burned 7 cords in a year. I have one wood stove, a Cumberland Gap Quadrafire and it keeps the whole house toasty.

I always cut more than I anticipate using, just for good measure. Also it never fails I end up selling a few cords, and I do not sell green wood. So, I cut usually a lot more than I use a year in advance. (It grows on trees, and its fun work).

How many cords a year do you burn.... Wow. That's a lot of wood.

I need to get out and cut some more, I have maybe 2 or 3 cord cut for next year and want to get about three times that much more cut before spring. It's all piled out in the weather for now, will be getting a 12x20 wood shed built before spring to put it in. The pile's a little bigger than this by a pickup load and I have an 18x4 rack behind the barn full.
attachment.php

Ian

Ian ; I only burn 3-5 cord a year myself, up until this year I cut 5-7 cord for my mother who passed away earlier this year so no wood there this winter, My brother takes 3-4 cord and I give a friend that has had a stroke 4-5 cord each year, anything left over is up for sale and usually sell 30-40 cords each year, even later in the winter I have dry wood that is at least 1 year or more old that is stacked and covered and will burn very well so I get calls from people that run out of wood before winter is over and can supply them from stock. Seems I always have a lot of hardwood firewood ahead and love to take the saws out for a day`s running at the drop of a hat. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Here's one of the locals making a big score . He's 82 years old & cuts every thing exactualy at 24" + or - .0001 . Far as I remember thats a 575 w/ skip.

I have about a cord in my back yard, and about two more at a friend's place, two elms and a locust, should be ready to burn this winter. I am away most of the time, and sometimes I get home too late to get a fire and bed of coals established, so i just use the furnace then. Stove keeps the bills down though. I have never bought firewood.

I burn about four cords a season.In the last few weeks I cut about 2 1/2 cords of elm that I hauled from 12 miles away and about 2 cords of red oak I cut on my own land,I will split this and what ever else I cut this winter in the spring.I have 14 cords cut,split and stacked on my land with 5 of it behind the house.:chainsaw:

You split your wood a bit larger than I do.. I split mine small enough even the wife can handle it. I like it when my wife willingly handle my wood.Without complaining. LOL

You have to remember what size we we start with!

I have a wood stove that can take 24-30 inch logs... I split them usually 12-20 long and up 10 wide... Burns great... and wife deal with it ;)

She burns 8-9 cord a year.. Heats a 4000 sqft house....

Last edited:
Not much for splitting eh... just burn thick cookies instead. ;)

I cut my rounds like that. There's usually quite a bit of carrying involved as I don't have a 4x4. If the rounds are large, making them thinner means I don't break my back. Splitting's a whole lot easier too. Downside is stacking.

My mom and dad use a two horse trailer as a wood shed. It's portable and rated for 4,000 pounds so it holds a good amount of wood.
DSCN0033-1.jpg

I have about 25 face cord cut,split and stacked of beech, elm,oak and maple. I burn wood in my shop and my house. I hope to have some left for next years supply. My shop will use about 15 cord if I am busy, last year I only used about 2 cord so not sure what I will need for this year.

Hey Andy,
I don't recall hearing about your log splitter, do you use one? What kind? You have all those Bridgeport machines and such I bet you have a dandy one.

I have all of next years' wood in, plus a little extra.... Yea!!!!!!!!

11.5+ cords in the tent, and mine are pretty tight cords... I was concerned about snow collapsing the tent, so the wood is stacked to the roof all over. the sides have chainlink fencing inside.... Hmmm.. seems to a have a bit of a lean...

attachment.php

Hey Andy

I was wondering what was first the tent or the wood pile? ;)

I only have about 4 chords with about 1/2 chord still uncut.

Greatings from Austria

7sleeper

I've got about 5 cords in the barn (a pair of 8x8x8 horse stalls, loosely stacked) for this year's burning in our 100-year-old cookstove. Just finished burning the last of the poplar and other 'woofa' wood designated for early season burning.

Have a pile of 2.5 cords for 2009-10 sitting outside. Mostly red oak and maple (red, silver, and sugar), with a little white pine, paper birch, and elm mixed in there.

Weather permitting, I'll be taking my 2WD Ranger out to a cutting site to snag another cord of red oak before wood gathering ends with the arrival of snow.(All the places I have permission to cut, I can only gather downed stuff and fell nothing standing. So this year, snow=chainsaw hibernation :( )

Hey Andy

I was wondering what was first the tent or the wood pile? ;)

I only have about 4 chords with about 1/2 chord still uncut.

Greatings from Austria

7sleeper

The tent! I did have to move another woodpile of unsplit wood to locate it though... then split and stacked right into the tent.

I have all of next years' wood in, plus a little extra.... Yea!!!!!!!!

11.5+ cords in the tent, and mine are pretty tight cords... I was concerned about snow collapsing the tent, so the wood is stacked to the roof all over. the sides have chainlink fencing inside.... Hmmm.. seems to a have a bit of a lean...

The "real" woodshed to the right has 10 cords from last year (burning this year after I finish the rest of the wood from 2007 winter), plus another new cord in front (damn over-flow).

I thought two piles was plenty.. but now I need another woodshed for 2010 winter...

what do you primarily burn? doug fir?

I'm running low. I need a good supply of wood, I reckon I'll need 3 cords, maybe 4, for next year. By my calculations, assuming a well-stacked cord, this equals around 5-7 tons of wood. I'll be busy... once i find somewhere to get the stuff.

No joke, prople are burning anything round here, they're clearing deadfall and sending old furniture up the flues. You'll see them carrying branches home by hand since the price of mains gas went up, it's crazy. seasoned wood is going for around £70 a load (small trailer full, around 25 cubic feet) so I'm going to pay twice through my arse for what I'll need. :censored:

Latest posts

Back