How's Your Wood Pile Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many cords will you burn this winter?

• Total voters
i burn 20-25 cords per year. its quite a bit but burning wood saves me $4000-$6000 vs burning propane.

Man that's getting on the low end of return on investment! I figure I probably save about $4k+ burning about 10-12 cords. Except for last year when I ran out of burnable wood:( Don't know if it'd be worth the work to do twice as much wood.

I burn about 2 cords a year in the basement wood stove in the shoulder seasons and when it gets REALLY cold to supplement the wood pellet stove.
Bought and installed a new Enviro Evolution pellet stove in the main upstairs eight years ago and it heats my whole house now. Was a great investment and payed for itself in less than two years.
I have a wood stove in the basement that I would like to replace for a newer, better one.
If I had to heat with oil, it would be about $2500 a heating season but with pellets it's $500.

IMG_1381_stitch_zpsd8abe188.jpg

This is a panorama of my splitting area. It's hard to tell that the stacks are at 90° to each other.

I have 3 cords stacked for 2014 - 2015. The wood on the ground is for 2015 - 2016. To the right of the picture are two big (over 4') redwood stumps that were cut down when the house was built in 1970. The PO left it about 4' high. I took them down to 6" and have a stump grinder reserved at the rental yard for next Friday. Once the stumps are gone I'll build a woodshed for at least a year's worth of wood.

Here's my 2014/15 pile, 20+ cord, 7ft tall and 115 ft long

Had to back up a long way to get the whole thing in frame.

and a good pile of split for fall and spring, it's 3 pallets wide by 6 deep and about 6 ft high

Attachments

• 0821142103a.jpg
    0821142103a.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 0821142104a.jpg
    0821142104a.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 0821142105a.jpg
    0821142105a.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 53
Cooler nights setting in here already ... wondering if west coast might get the brutal winter this year instead of everyone down south and back east that had the BIG nasty in 2013/2014.

Have to get on the roof soon and sweep the chimney. Should have 15+ cords under cover when I'm finished splitting and stacking, though I only burn about 3+ cords heating 2500 sq. ft. - Central chimney with its nice 8 hour passive heat storage and good insulation is key to keeping my low wood consumption - R20 walls, R40 ceiling, double glazed windows . . . it all helps. We leave various windows cracked all winter for ventilation- can't afford to do that running a regular furnace : )

Looking forward to starting the first fire of the season. I work much better in cooler weather. Splitting these last few cords in the sun has been slow going. One day on, 3 days off - lol

Not my load or equipment but have driven past this a few times over the years and finally got a decent picture. The splitter is a modified baler that I have never seen running but...... I thinks it's a wheel of death variant unfortunately.....the truck is well loaded for winter, I'll give em kudos for that though.

View attachment 365632

Usually burn around 3-3.5. Well insulated house, generally not too cold around here... might see -20* for a week or so if that.

Are you a Polar Bear? I get -20* for a day or so and that's way to much, and cold doesn't begin to describe it. :)

Ha ha we have week long HIGHS of -20... for 5 days straight this past winter the mercury was not visible in my thermometer, cause it was all in the little bulb in the bottom....and I'm only around the 52nd parallel. This past winter was hell on earth, well frozen hell.....

Latest posts

Back