Hurricane Preparedness For East Coast AS Members

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I hope you're enjoying your weekends. I'm in Richmond Virginia and have begun preparing for the possibility of Hurricane Florence impacting my area, and I'm sure there are others on AS from Virginia South who're doing the same. We've gone to the store for extra ice, bottled water, supplies, groceries, and meds. I've also gotten fuel for the generators, saws, and all the vehicles. We have batteries, flashlights, lanterns also ready in the event of power loss.

I've gotten several saws ready as well to be completely prepared, not only for my home, but my Parent's and neighbors too. Homelite 8800 with a 36" bar for large trees, Poulan Farm Pro 375, Poulan 4000's, Homelite SXL's, and my Stihl MS 310. PPE includes my Stihl helmet, chaps, overalls, steel toed boots, gloves, and safety glasses. We live in a good neighborhood with great neighbors and we all work together when events like these happen. I think this is "what it's all about", working together like a family. Let me be clear: I'm not touchy feely, but I believe in family.

So, to all the AS family members who may be in the path of Florence, be smart, be safe, and take care. Best, Max.

Best of luck with Florence. I usually bring my saws into the garage when a hurricane is coming. I have all sorts of spares, but the only thing I've ever needed in a crisis is a bar nut for my Stihl 025. Lost it while cutting down a tree that uprooted during Ike. My dealer was open and the guy in line ahead of me was buying all of their inventory of nuts. He left one for me. I keep plenty on hand now.

I have two generators ready, one welder generator, saws are ready with husky canned premix gas. Plenty of coffee for the keurig with non fridge creamer. My disaster food prep is up to date. The mri and canned meats, pasta, canned cheese, fresh ground corn meal, (cornbread) the woodstove oven. Propane for the Primus outdoor hunting grills(Swedish stainless). We’re ready for anything. Wood for the Woodstove, freshwater, we have to plan ahead. Survival....

Don’t forget cup cakes, cookie mix for the kids.

The last power outage was for one and a half weeks, I had my keurig running everyday.

Ever notice the stores sell out on chainsaws after the storms, then there all for sale in the bargain paper locally soon after?

Lot of little saws run hard and overheated with dull chains. Last summer, neighbor's dad brought his saw to cut up 5 to 7" dead tree. Hearing that saw screaming all afternoon with dull chain was like fingernails in a blackboard. I couldn't take it. Offered to help. 261cm, 20 minutes and done. Sharpened his dad's chain on my grinder and set his rakers.
I have two generators ready, one welder generator, saws are ready with husky canned premix gas. Plenty of coffee for the keurig with non fridge creamer. My disaster food prep is up to date. The mri and canned meats, pasta, canned cheese, fresh ground corn meal, (cornbread) the woodstove oven. Propane for the Primus outdoor hunting grills(Swedish stainless). We’re ready for anything. Wood for the Woodstove, freshwater, we have to plan ahead. Survival....

Don’t forget cup cakes, cookie mix for the kids.

The last power outage was for one and a half weeks, I had my keurig running everyday.

Ever notice the stores sell out on chainsaws after the storms, then there all for sale in the bargain paper locally soon after?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Just seeing wood powder coming from someone’s else’s saw sends me screaming. I just taught my sons to first get rid of the gullet to open up that area of the tooth for chip clearance then use the file n guide to sharpen the top edge of the tooth. If the rakers need to be done I make three even passes on each raker. I’m fussy about the even of the filing on the smaller power heads but the bigger cc saws tend to pull anything through the wood within reason. The big cc’s have no respect.

He had a Stihl MS 180 with the little .043 ga chain. A little part of me wanted to take my MMWS 661 with 36" bar.
Just seeing wood powder coming from someone’s else’s saw sends me screaming. I just taught my sons to first get rid of the gullet to open up that area of the tooth for chip clearance then use the file n guide to sharpen the top edge of the tooth. If the rakers need to be done I make three even passes on each raker. I’m fussy about the even of the filing on the smaller power heads but the bigger cc saws tend to pull anything through the wood within reason. The big cc’s have no respect.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Just got off the phone with my daughter who lives in North Carolina...Stores there are already sold out of bottled water, bread, etc...My girl lives alone so she is nervous...She's a teacher, so if they close her school she will head my way...Stay safe everyone!!
I'm in NC. What part does she live in.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

My daughter and her husband live in Raleigh. I live between hickory and Lenoir. In the foothills.

You are in my favorite part of NC...So beautiful!...I love the outer banks too, but only to visit or vacation!...I'm about 250 miles west of you on the Cumberland Plateau...:)

Have water to drink, but also to flush your crapper, that can be rain water. A water purifier is a good thing if you don't have a spring. 1-gal/day/person to drink. If you can't store clean water, fill up the bathtub (clean it first)

Put bagged ice in freezer, fill it , it will last a while if power goes out. Fill up air compressor tanks. Fuel for everything from car/truck to gas grill/coleman stove.

Everybody should have 2 weeks non-perishable food handy. Get some powdered milk for your coffee. A way to cook/heat it.

SW/CB radios are great of cells don't work and landlines are down, need power source. Candles, oil lamps, hurricane lamps, if your fancy a LED with rechargeable bats. Generators are great. Make sure it will start.

Lots more I can think of........

Nobody stocks up on BEER? WTF!!! That and some vodka, that has many uses in SHTF. That or if you know people JUG OF SHINE!

Make sure you're firearms are in order if you might get unwelcome visitors who "need stuff".

Good luck and stay safe SC and NC.

You are in my favorite part of NC...So beautiful!...I love the outer banks too, but only to visit or vacation!...I'm about 250 miles west of you on the Cumberland Plateau...:)
In Tennessee? I love the outer Banks too. But wouldn't want to live there either. I hope the hurricane doesn't do any damage. I remember Hugo. It was bad. No power for weeks.

In Tennessee? I love the outer Banks too. But wouldn't want to live there either. I hope the hurricane doesn't do any damage. I remember Hugo. It was bad. No power for weeks.

Yes, I live in BEAUTIFUL Tennessee!;)...Hugo was a nightmare...I visited Myrtle Beach shortly after it hit...They were dredging sand and pumping it inland to restore the beach...We found dozens and dozens of big shells and whole sand dollars...

x12hNf7.gif

Back