Need my first saw- a keeper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16-18" bar is plenty long enough for the OP's needs , he doesn't need a 20 for the stuff he's cutting .

You must run saws for a living. Weekend warrior work and full time tree service work are two different things. Show me a video where stock for stock a 590 whips a 555 and I'll believe you.
Again, as I said they make a fine saw. But there is a reason they are not being used by people who make there living running saws.
I did! If the mm 590 is neck and neck with a well ported 361, that was pumping 210 psi of compression, it will out run a stock 555 no question.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Do you like rap music? Sorry most people are nothing but sheep.

Take into consideration I own may other makes of saws, and also turn wrench on them. The cs590 and it's siblings, are as good or better than anything from the big three. When it comes to simplicity, it has them all beat.

I did! If the mm 590 is neck and neck with a well ported 361, that was pumping 210 psi of compression, it will out run a stock 555 no question.

Take into consideration I own may other makes of saw, and also turn wrench on them. The cs590 and it's siblings, are as good or better than anything from the big three. When it comes to simplicity, it has them all beat.
Peace brother. The OP got a fine saw no doubt.

From Echo:
Standard Bar Lengths (in) 16, 18, 20, 24, 27

Just order the standard 20" Echo bar and chain, or is there something specific I should be looking for? Buy it from the dealer?

From Echo:

Just order the standard 20" Echo bar and chain, or is there something specific I should be looking for? Buy it from the dealer?

For most the Echo bar is fine, I prefer Stihl RS chain however. A 20" or 24" bar is a good fit for that size saw in hardwood, north west softwood is a different story.

Yup - technology development is very expensive, and unlike product development has a much longer delay until payback. Echo has skipped this cost.

What was the excuse for Stihl and Husky being far more expensive before this new technology came around? Doesn't make sense.

What was the excuse for Stihl and Husky being far more expensive before this new technology came around? Doesn't make sense.
I don't know what the relative prices for Echo, Stihl and Husqvarna saws were in 2002. They were all premium, high priced brands as far as I was concerned. I'm not sure they were selling to the same markets then - I don't know anyone who had a Stihl or Husky trimmer for example, but as a homeowner if you wanted to buy a really good one you got an Echo.

Pricing is not logical, your costs merely set a floor under what you must charge to break even. After that you charge what the market will bear, which is subject to the whim of the buyers.

With the easy credit boom everyone started buying top end "pro" OPE, Husqvarna bought other brands for name and technology, and developed more. Stihl sells on their excellent marketing - the brand name and the "German Engineering" hogwash. Echo and others haven't kept up in market share or technology, and can't afford to just buy the tech like Stihl, so they're being aggressive on price/value to try and get back in the game. It's an old story - what's the mystery?

From Echo:

Go on ebay and look for D176 (bar mount size) 20" bar. You may find some better deals on line. I got a 20" Oregon and 4 chains for $100 shipped... ill try and find you a link.

From Echo:

20" Oregon bar w/1 chain: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Oregon-2...228?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea151103c

20" Oregon bar w/ 4 chains: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Oregon-2...366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a02556836

1 extra 20" Echo chain: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Oregon-72...549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a028cc0e5

Back