Hurt by a Vermeer 252

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spacemule said:
I can't believe how much speculation is going on in this thread. . .

I am still waiting to hear what Mr. Attorney's intentions are. I just got a bad vibe from his post.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it might be a duck!

He was probably expecting to get some good info from his question but after reading some of these replies, he may be re-thinking his approach.

Why else would an attorney be posting on this board concerning a specific model of stumpgrinder? To me it is obvious that he is possibly laying the groundwork for some sort of law suit, doing his research. I could be wrong, I have been before, but why the hell else would he even be here?

Not one of you guys gave him the benefit of the doubt. If he's ignorant on the subject of how long a stump grinder flywheel should spin after shut down (and how many lawyers are? (or anyone for that matter)), why shouldn't he check it out?
Do you suppose lawyers sit around and talk about what a bunch of lowlife, drunk, social misfits, arborists are?

No wheel guard?

252s come from the factory with a wheel guard for the "operator" who can't remember or see that the wheel is turning. They do tend to get in the way if your trying to get your leg chewed off, so maybe it was wired up to facilitate human dismemberment. Maybe everyone that operates a 252 should have a spotter to tell him "hey jackass, yer teeth are movin"
Gotta be someone yankin our chain. This guy couldn't be a lawyer.

Wait a minute, you're suggesting a troll at arboriststie??? No way!
In TM's thread, it was the picture of the fltwheel cover bungeed up that made the biggest impression on me. Forget the blood and gore, disabled safety features scare the crap outta me.

Mike Maas said:
Do you suppose lawyers sit around and talk about what a bunch of lowlife, drunk, social misfits, arborists are?

No. They don't discriminate. They talk about practically everyone that way.
I have been around lawyers most of my adult life (no, not because I have been in and out of the penal system) and I can tell you that the majority (majority does not include "all") of them are a fairly disgusting lot.

This attorney was most likely trolling just as a previous poster suggested. Why be afraid to call a spade a spade? "Research"? Of course he is going to do research so he can unjustly sue the "big bad corporation".
Get a grip peeps. Product liability attorneys D-O ... N-O-T ... C-A-R-E about anything but getting a payday ... they could not possibly care less if the product is safe or unsafe..... just win the case and get the big fat check. Let the public pay for it with increased premiums and higher end-user prices.

Its always easy to take shots at lawyers, and sometimes fun, however maybe we should slow down and think this one through. We are all aware of the dangers and risks associated with tree work. We think through are trims and removals to minimize risk. There are certain dangers with this job that we just accept, and maybe we don't have to. I remember when the lawn mower industry was told it had to stop a spinning blade when your hand came off the handle. They all cried that we wouldn't be able to afford a lawn mower with that feature. Guess what, They did it and you can still buy a mower for $100.00. Just maybe we don't have to accept a spinning wheel on a stump grinder. Maybe thats a risk we are so used to, but don't have to be. Maybe the manufactures can take that out of our lives and have one less thing for us to worry about. Now , back to slamming lawyers...

newb said:
Its always easy to take shots at lawyers, and sometimes fun, however maybe we should slow down and think this one through.

Easy to take shots at lawyers/ Nooooooooooo! i wonder why?

Slow down and thnk things through? I'm glad you got us hotheaded quick-on-the-draw types to slow down and actualy think before we say what we think.
Safety handles on the lawnmowers. Now there is somethig to think about. How many people defeat this "safety" feature right out of the box? Everyone I know practically. I know it's so risky to do so. We lost 7 DIY homeowners just on our block this weekend. Imagine the gaul; mowing ones own lawn. I hope the life insurance companies don't catch on that homeowners take suck awful risks. talk about a rate-up!
And those pesky automobiles. Maybe can live without those spinning wheels. Take those away and you have a virtually safe automobile. Yes, you can still slam your finger in the door, but maybe we could get the Almighty Benevolent Lawyers to have the Omnipotent Courts to have the Evil Corporations weld those risky doors shut. Then we will be safe.
But hark! What shall we do bout those demonic guns!? Guns are unsafe. they kill people. Guns are quite smart. Probably the smartest inanimate objects know to man.
But of course, the lawyers will quit helping us protect ourselves from ourselves when, and ONLY when, they can no longer figure out how to make a buck from it.
Lawyers. Yes, they sure are some honest, noble, idealistic pillars of society.

It's too bad that a lot of these cases end up with some lawyer trying to place the respnsibility where it doesn't belong. While we're on lawyer bashing, can we include the juries that are ignorant and gullible enough to go along with them?

treeguy347

I agree with your opinion that juries share some blame.

If he wants information on tree equipment he can pay for it by hiring a professional in the business.

He isn't giving any members here free legal advice so why is he looking for a handout?

P.S. As a member of the Texas bar I am offended he came to this site looking for a free meal.

Spare me he is helping someone. It is his job, bottom line.

Regardless, this topic is taking up my valuable time from deciding what new saw I am going to purchase. Don't need another saw but I dang sure don't have enough!

Steve128 said:
Regardless, this topic is taking up my valuable time from deciding what new saw I am going to purchase. Don't need another saw but I dang sure don't have enough!

Ain't that the truth! :rock:

P.S. Be a good attorney (they do exist) .... my sis works directly for the Chief Prosecuting Counsel ... SBOT!

People love to bash lawyers--until they need one in court. A lawyer's job is simply to argue their client's case. They are not in the business of making judgment calls (that's why we don't call them judges). If the case has no merit, the judge will throw it out. If you don't like the laws that give a case merit, then lobby to change them.

Most of the ridiculous lawsuits one hears of are 95% urban legend, yet the average joe feels compelled to believe every scrap of crap that makes him feel indignant. Pathetic really. Oh, did I mention that the average iq of a lawyer is in the 130's? (Sorry, can't remember where I saw that statistic, but as you know, 95% of statistics are made up on the spot. However, this one seems reasonable.) Seems interesting that the masses feel fit to second guess what one of the more intelligent segments of society does.

So about $250 per hour should be a good starting point for our advice. Hmmmm, maybe we can tack on another couple hundred bucks for our support staff....:D

I once lost a stump removal job to a local yocal that rented a vermeer 252 from rental place and underbid my price on a job. Since I lost the job and was financially hurt by the loss of the job, does this qualify me to be part of the huge payout that this lawsuit will surely payout? I think my feelings were hurt also since the customer gave me the OK to do the work and then called and canceled the next day. ;)

Dadatwins said:
I once lost a stump removal job to a local yocal that rented a vermeer 252 from rental place and underbid my price on a job. Since I lost the job and was financially hurt by the loss of the job, does this qualify me to be part of the huge payout that this lawsuit will surely payout? I think my feelings were hurt also since the customer gave me the OK to do the work and then called and canceled the next day. ;)
Good luck getting representation for that case. :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back