Huskee 22 Ton Splitter Cycle Time Increase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirewoodXpress

Reaction score
I have a Huskee 6.5Hp Briggs Quantum Series Engine and the unit is 22 Tons.

My Question is has anyone ever increased the Pump size on this unit to increase the cycle time? The speed isn't what I would like it to be but I like the unit and don't want to spend more dollars to buy a new machine to increase the speed. The cycle time is 14 seconds and I would like to speed it up a few notches the power is fine for the rounds I put through it. If anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eric

Just change out the 11gpm pump for a 13 or 16gpm pump. A 6.5 engine might run a 13gpm pump but the 16 will need a 8hp engine.

I called Speeco some time ago and was asking about the actual flow rates. Even though they publish the unit with a 11GPM, thats not the actual output in that application. The pump is capable of 11GPM but its not turning fast enough on their unit is what they told me. And the speed when it shuttles down is about .75GPM. Thats exactly what led me to build a different unit. They are good splitters that will last forever if you don't mind the ram speed. About all you can do is up size the pump and engine. 21GPM will make er sing.

Before you change the pump you need to understand that by putting on a larger pump - you will be increasing the load on the engine and possibly reducing the splitting power. If the small engine cannot provide enough power to run the bigger pump while splitting.....I bet your splitting times will actually be increased. You may not always be able to split the rounds if you encounter any knots or tough wood.....and you may end up repositioning the wood or having to give up on some pieces.

If you are willing to try the bigger pump with the understanding that a larger engine may be required to drive the bigger pump.....then go for it.

How often do you use the whole cycle though? If you cut your rounds carefully with ease of splitting in mind, you only need what, depending on species, maybe 6-10" of any given cycle. Then return it too the size of the next piece, you rarely use it all. Just a thought.

How often do you use the whole cycle though? If you cut your rounds carefully with ease of splitting in mind, you only need what, depending on species, maybe 6-10" of any given cycle. Then return it too the size of the next piece, you rarely use it all.

With my unit full cycling in the 6-7sec range I mentioned once before my unit may actually be faster than the super split when you factor in the duty range of motion.

Thanks for the Replys so Far

I want to say Thanks for the advice so far, the reason I posted this question was I split with a friends Timberwolf and it was alot quicker. I am happy with the strength of the Huskee just not the speed. I havent split a round it can handle ELM included but I like the speed and bang of the TWOLF, I just dont want to get into spending the 5 grand on the TWOLF. HAs anyone used a ramsplitter?

Thanks,

Eric

When comparing the cycle times of a splitter , brand name should not be the thing to compare. The combination of cylinder bore size and pump output determine speed. A 4x24 cylinder with a 2" rod and 11 gpm pump will be slow, 12.3 seconds. The same cylinder with a 13 gpm pump will be faster, 10.5 seconds. Use a 16 gpm pump and cycle time drops to 8.6 seconds. A 22 gpm pump with the same cylinder will give a 6.3 second cycle time.

These times are at no load ,actual times will vary according to the splitability of the wood. These times also are figured at 3600 rpms, slower engine speed will decrease gpms.

Almost all splitter manufacturers use pumps manufactured by Haldex/Barnes.

When comparing the cycle times of a splitter , brand name should not be the thing to compare. The combination of cylinder bore size and pump output determine speed. A 4x24 cylinder with a 2" rod and 11 gpm pump will be slow, 12.3 seconds. The same cylinder with a 13 gpm pump will be faster, 10.5 seconds. Use a 16 gpm pump and cycle time drops to 8.6 seconds. A 22 gpm pump with the same cylinder will give a 6.3 second cycle time.
The figures validate my recorded times on my unit using a 4x24 with a 21GPM pump.

How often do you use the whole cycle though? If you cut your rounds carefully with ease of splitting in mind, you only need what, depending on species, maybe 6-10" of any given cycle. Then return it too the size of the next piece, you rarely use it all. Just a thought.

I end up using the full cycle most of the time. I am not sure why the wood I get is so darn stringy......but even though the piece splits fairly quickly I have to run most of the cycle to break the strings holding the pieces together. Shagbark Hickory was really stringy.

Last edited:
Me too. I need every inch of travel, and I'm thinking about a wider wedge. I don't break the wood on the far side a good deal of the time. But then, a lot of my rounds run 30" and more.

Bigger pump (and engine) will mean more HEAT with the oil- you may also need a larger tank to help dissapate the heat.:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back