Huskee 35 Ton Splitter - Check Your Hoses!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laird

Nemo me impune lacessit
Reaction score
This evening I was happily splitting away with my new splitter when one of the hydraulic hoses popped off and sprayed about one gallon or so of hydraulic fluid on the ground (please nobody call the EPA). The hose was held on with a hose clamp and must not have been tightened well when assembled. There are two connections on mine held on by hose clamps that will have a second clamp added to them before I run it again.

Just wanted to give a heads up to those of you who just got yours at that TSC sale ...you may want to check to make sure things are tight. It was the third time I had been using it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

well, it wont happen again now will it?

Never had a problem with mine. Yet

I have bent my pump protector a few times not paying attention in the thick wood's.

Thanks for the Heads Up. Like you, I took it for granted. Guess that's not to smart

John

Thanks will check it out in the morning.. Did it break or just loosen up and pressure itself off ? :monkey:

It's a good idea to check the clamps on all new hoses after they had a little heat. I think I read this some where.

First post!!!!!!!! Mine did the same thing....my wife was splitting wood(yes she was) and out of the corner of my eye I saw a mist...shut my saw off ran over there sure as sh!t...when I looked close who ever put it together split the line to get it on the fitting...other than breaking the bolt that holds the wedge on I love that splitter...

First post!!!!!!!! Mine did the same thing....my wife was splitting wood(yes she was) and out of the corner of my eye I saw a mist...shut my saw off ran over there sure as sh!t...when I looked close who ever put it together split the line to get it on the fitting...other than breaking the bolt that holds the wedge on I love that splitter...

That bolt that hold the wedge on shouldn't see the load but I noticed a slight gap on mine between the ram and the wedge. A small shim could fix it. Speeco should make sure the ram is tightly against the wedge before they drill that hole and instead of a bolt just use a pin with a safety on it.

Hydraulic Lines

Whewwwww: Sorry to hear about that. But thanks for the warning about checking the clamps on the new splitters. I'll be checking all mine today.

Nosmo

attachment.php

My pile of Hickory I drug out Wednesday with an Ash and a Beech thrown in. Surprisingly the hose blew off on an Ash round but after I had split a dozen or so of the Hickory.

My co-worker has the 35T with the Speeco label. First time using it, the pressure line blew while he was retracting the ram. It was after the sixth log maybe. Is there some sort of problem with the setup of the 35T? I think they are virtually identical to my 22T, right?

My co-worker has the 35T with the Speeco label. First time using it, the pressure line blew while he was retracting the ram. It was after the sixth log maybe. Is there some sort of problem with the setup of the 35T? I think they are virtually identical to my 22T, right?

Did it blow at the crimp on the end.If so likely a poor crimp. New hoses usually won't blow in the middle without being damaged first.

If the latter was the case it might be time to check the relief valve setting with a 3500 psi guage.

Ken

On my splitter one line is attached at both ends with hose clamps (believe it's the return line). No damage was done to the line, I just think the hose clamp was not tight enough. In my case I'll be tightening both existing clamps and adding a second clamp to each end. Should take care of the problem.

Back