Huskee 35 Ton Splitter Detent Valve Pops Out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vortec-Z71

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a 35 ton Huskee splitter from TSC (made by SPEECO). It has the Energy valve. The valve does not stay in the auto-return postion (just pops back out) before the cylinder fully retracts so I have to hold it. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix it? Chris

How old is it? how much use? Does it do it all the time or when cold or warmed up? I've heard that if the detent gets worn you can unhook the handle, turn the internal sleeve 180 deg. and re install the handle. I don't think there is any adjustment.

I've got the same splitter with the same problem. Since a new detent's like 60 bucks, I opted for a tarp strap to hold it in just slightly.

How old is it? how much use? Does it do it all the time or when cold or warmed up? I've heard that if the detent gets worn you can unhook the handle, turn the internal sleeve 180 deg. and re install the handle. I don't think there is any adjustment.

Its about 1.5 years old. It does it much more frequently when cold but still does it when it is at operating temp too.

Likely the detent mechanism is worn and/or the spring that applies force to the larger detent ball has taken a set. Energy does not break all of the parts out that comprise the detent mechanism. However, you can purchase a new detent cover assembly and it comes with instructions for replacing it here:
Log Splitter Valve and Accessories by Energy® Manufacturing Company, Inc.
It sells for $43.46.
Steve Hansen
Applications Engineer
Energy Manufacturing Co., Inc. /
Williams Machine & Tool Co.
(319)-465-3537 X-402
(319)-465-5279 FAX
[email protected]

I have the same splitter with the same issue. Just let her warm up. Once you get her cycled for a bit and get the hydro fluid warmer it goes away. Also notice it much more in cold.

I had considered returning it due this, but no way, that thng is a beast and a heck of a value.

I gently encourage her when she warms up. :msp_biggrin: Down the road I could replace the dent valve, but not that a big a deal for me now.

See if there is an adjustment screw or nut. My processor has Prince valves an they need to be adjusted often. Make sure you adjust when fluid is at operating temp.

Pop goes the... valve.

You could try the suggestion of rotate the spool 180 and see if that gets it going.
I don't suggest taking it apart. The last time I tried that on one it expired on the operating table. The clearances are in microns. I farked it up big time.

The prince valves have a adjustable detent, and the really cool part is that you can rotate the detent assembly, as well as adjust the pressure where it kicks out.

Likely the detent mechanism is worn and/or the spring that applies force to the larger detent ball has taken a set. Energy does not break all of the parts out that comprise the detent mechanism. However, you can purchase a new detent cover assembly and it comes with instructions for replacing it here:
Log Splitter Valve and Accessories by Energy® Manufacturing Company, Inc.
It sells for $43.46.
Steve Hansen
Applications Engineer
Energy Manufacturing Co., Inc. /
Williams Machine & Tool Co.
(319)-465-3537 X-402
(319)-465-5279 FAX
[email protected]

====

Steve can that detent cover be replaced with an adjustable valve????

Stupid question... but did you check the fluid level? We had same model with the same problem. Ended up being a little low on fluid. Worked like a charm afterwards.

Latest posts

Back