huskee quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbighump

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hi everone i went to my local tractor supply today to look at the 22 ton huskee splitters.
much to my suprise the only one they had, looked like a kid welded it. it had spatter all over and lots of cavities in the welds, the weld holding the footplate on looked like it was just sitting on the metal no penetration. man was i upset with the quality then i got to looking at the 28 and 35 ton models and the welds were beautiful.
wtf was this made on monday or friday or has the quality went downhill on the 22t:cheers:

Last edited:
i guess what im trying to ask is has anyone who has bought one of these recently noticed this or was this one a fluke.

i got a 35 ton that works good so far but my buddy has a 22 and his splits ok but ther are some problems i see with it like what you are saying

Welds are fine on mine

Quality acceptable. The B&S engine has no choke, so if you are starting below about 40 degrees, you must keep pushing the primer bulb to keep it running till warm. I've had mine 4 years. :monkey:

it was prolly just one that slipped through the cracks, im not the best welder but i shure know a good weld when i see one and this one was sloppy to say the least you could already see where the cavites were starting to rust.:cheers:

Mine is 3 years old and comparing it to the ones at TSC, they seem to have changed for the worse. It looks like they have tried to cheapen the cost of manufacure. As for adverse effects on performance, I couldn't say. I am happy with mine.

Isn't it amazing that when you ask 'how well was yours built' that everyone wants to tell you how well their runs. How well it runs doesn't tell you how well it was built.

My 35 ton has crappy welds too. They won't break, they are plenty strong, but my 12 year old grand daughter could wield the Miller's gun better that whoever glued that splitter together.

Read a bunch of comments about Huskee splitters on a bunch of different message forums and it won't take you too long to start piling up links to people who will tell you that welds cracked soon after they bought their machines - mostly around the oil tank. It is not a common problem but its not that hard to find complaints either.

So what's that tell you - that many of them come through OK and more than should come off the line not OK? It tells me that they have poor quality control and likely a high employee turnover rate; probably a scab shop.

Unless Huskee has a separate factory for small splitters I'm sure its not a matter of some models are built better than others. An old auto worker told me once that if I thought a Lincoln Continental was built any better than a Ford Pinto I was a fool - he said the exact same guys built both cars and a lazy man will build a poor car, don't matter what name is on the emblem on the hood. He was right to an extent.

Huskee uses good parts. They use name brand engines (something that you won't see on any splitter within 3 years) usually either B&S or Honda. They use good pumps and valves - something that can not be said for splitters of similar price built by others. They hoses they use on the high pressure side are industry standard, but you get automotive heater hose and cheap clamps on the low pressure side.

Generally fit and finish are mediocre at best. Go look at any one of them on display and you'll find rust where there are paint chips, weld splatter that you mention, and of course welds that at least in appearance are questionable. Just as an aside, you really can't tell very much about a weld's strength by looking at it - sometimes ugly welds aren't so bad and often very pretty welds have no strength at all - very often.

Oh, mine works just fine.

PS: My B&S engine certainly has a choke, it has a fuel shut off valve too.

I have a 35 ton Huskee and Love it! It has a good cylinder, great splitting power and has been as reliable as any machine I have ever had. I cant say I've paid any attention to how the welds look tho... Its plenty sturdy and worth every peny of I spent on it. Not sure if the smaller models are made the same or not.

I bought a Huskee 22 ton in October and the welds look very good. I haven't looked at the welds on the axle but the welds on the beam are nice. The only problem so far is the bolt holding the ram to the wedge broke.

My guess is that it was a return and another welder welded the footplate back on with bad technique. I have a 28 ton Speeco(Who also makes Husky)
and the welds have very good penetration.

i dont know about all the nay sayers,, but my 35 ton huskee works great and the welds look fine to me,, but hell who cares,, those who look for problems will surely find them,, if you want to pay more,, you certainly can,, most new briggs and honda engines are now built in china anyway, :cheers: :cheers:

pics

Here is a pic showing some of the welds on my Huskee 22... I've had no problems with any welds...

huskeeweldpic.jpg

There are ways to avoid Huskee's poor welds.
Buy something different.
Build it yourself.
Or just simply buy it and look at the split wood and not the machine...

BTW.. Did you notice the price while you were criticizing the welds?

The biggest problem I,ve seen with the Huskee splitters is when you split in the Horiz. mode the split peices fall on the motor. ???? :greenchainsaw:

i realize this is a entry level machine but i went to a buddys house yesterday and checked his out, one word flawless the welds were perfect. i just dont want to spend 1k and have tons of problems:cheers:

The biggest problem I,ve seen with the Huskee splitters is when you split in the Horiz. mode the split peices fall on the motor. ???? :greenchainsaw:

I stand on the side of the motor... never had a split come that way... I shove em away from me, over on to the table...
huskeetableon442x380.jpg

The ones that I have seen have poor looking welds on them. It seems like if you want a quality splitter, you have to spend 2 to 3K on one. I gave up looking and built my own and really enjoyed the project. Maybe not for everyone.

Those splitters go for "give away" prices...

Where are Huskee's made?

I REALLY don't know.

Last edited:
Back