Huskvarna 262XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to steal your thread but here is a pic of my 262xp, she is not nearly as pretty as yours but she is a workhorse! It is a 1999 model with a decomp valve. 18" 3/8 bar, once in a great while I will throw the 20" on there but there really is no need to she screams with the 18" (it feels perfectly balanced with the 18"), besides that is what I have the 272 and 288 for. I rarely even touch those any more as the 262 is just such a great all around saw. As you can see she has been worked, I have put that thing in almost every imaginable bad situation and it always comes out ready for more. This week we took down and cut up a 28" round red oak with no problems she tore through it. Enjoy the saw I am sure it will serve you for many years

Nice one, timely thread, I just fired my 262xpg up since I rebuilt it from the crank up.
Just waiting on the NOS clutch to arrive and it will be all good and ready to eat wood.
I have all the manuals for the 262 xp from 1990-1999 let me know what year you require by PM and I will send it.

I ran mine today...actually any chance I can.:D:bowdown::chainsawguy:

Well, I'm off to Homedepot to get a new chain and bar for the 262 so I can use it this weekend....I here that their brand bars and chains are top of the line stuff!!! if the price is right I might outfit my Jreds too.

:cheers:
Mike

Well, I'm off to Homedepot to get a new chain and bar for the 262 so I can use it this weekend....I here that their brand bars and chains are top of the line stuff!!! if the price is right I might outfit my Jreds too.

Mike

:dizzy:

You're kidding right...

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Surely - lots of vibes at the rear handle, but also lots of power for the weight!

:biggrinbounce2:

Troll,

It's been awhile, but I don't consider the 262XP as having lots of vibration.
Not dead calm like the new Generation saws, but not enough to even consider really. Are the Euro 262's set up with really solid mounts or something?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sorry to keep you waiting....

DSCN1766.jpg

DSCN1767.jpg

I would like to thank Fischercat for giving me a good deal on the saw. The saw is really nice, looks to be low hours on it and gobs of compression. It is a nice addition to the collection! For now it's going to run an 18", .325 with an 8 pin sprocket, thats all I had for it. I'll let you know how she runs.

Mike

Thats a great looking 262xp you got there.:clap: I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. :greenchainsaw::cheers:

I was reading an evaluation of the 262xpg from 1991 by the forestry commission in the UK.
It was quite interesting reading, apparently when the 262xp came out there was also another model called the 262xpgm that was being tested, it was withdrawn by Husky before the test, It was a microprocessor version of the coil and would monitor and adjust ignition timing both in use,also starting on half throttle, it would adjust the timing so that the chain would not turn, essentially halving engine speed.
The other function was to monitor and adjust max rpm, at idle, maximum free rpm and also in the cut.
Interesting report.

BTW it also mentions the excellent Power to weight ratio. In a comparison with the 254xp it has 9% more weight but 21% more power.
On vibrations the early saws had a single big metal spring for the front AV, but under heavy pressure the two parts of the saw could touch causing a lot of vibration, the solution was to install a cutdown 254 mount on the other side of the spring to prevent this happening.
The vibration table shows that the 262 is actually smoother than the 254 at the rear handle.

I was reading an evaluation of the 262xpg from 1991 by the forestry commission in the UK.
It was quite interesting reading, apparently when the 262xp came out there was also another model called the 262xpgm that was being tested, it was withdrawn by Husky before the test, It was a microprocessor version of the coil and would monitor and adjust ignition timing both in use,also starting on half throttle, it would adjust the timing so that the chain would not turn, essentially halving engine speed.
The other function was to monitor and adjust max rpm, at idle, maximum free rpm and also in the cut.
Interesting report.

BTW it also mentions the excellent Power to weight ratio. In a comparison with the 254xp it has 9% more weight but 21% more power.
On vibrations the early saws had a single big metal spring for the front AV, but under heavy pressure the two parts of the saw could touch causing a lot of vibration, the solution was to install a cutdown 254 mount on the other side of the spring to prevent this happening.
The vibration table shows that the 262 is actually smoother than the 254 at the rear handle.

You got a link for that? That sounds interesting....

TRI995 there was two different rearhandels for the 262xp/xpg your handle is the type were the microprocessor used to be fitted in at least that info ig to from my dealer when we talked about the 262xpg :)

A very good looking saw you got there !!!

Back