Husky 142 or 338XPT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhmcus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
All

Im looking to purchase a good trimming saw. I have aprox 12 acres of wood and brush to clear which is mostly composed of cedar, oak and scrub. I already own a Husky 359 and it serves me well in felling large oak trees that have died. However I belive a smaller saw than than the 359 would be good for limbing. Ive looked at the 142 and it for all purposes it looks to be an entry level saw and I dont know if it would hold up running all day? The 338xpt is aprox 200 dollars more. Is it 200 dollars better than the 142? Is there another brand/model that would work just as well as the 338 and cost less? Basically im looking for a saw that I will be around for a few years and do hard work and not be a throw away.

Thanks much

Rich

I think you shold take a look at some other models. The 338xpt is a tophandle saw, meant to be used up in a tree. It will give you less control than a rearhandle saw when used on the ground.
The 142 is a homeowner/hobby quality saw, made by Poulan. Power output has also been downrated quite a bit lately, compared to the 141 and the first 142s, and is now on the same level as 338/339.
The 350, 345, 340, 339xp and 336 would all be better choises - 339xp and 336 being the lightweight options.

Thanks for the reply on this. After reading your post Ill check out the saws listed below. Id like to stay with something light so the 339xp or 336 may be the ticket. Id like to get a good saw not a throwaway saw. As for as tophandle saws this is new to me so Ive read some posts on the forum and it appears that this saw is not as safe as my 359 is due to its design. There appears to be a debate about this on some threads. I have a healthy respect for a chain saw and would like to minimize the danger in operation of one. Thanks again.. Rich

As a high quality, light-weight, rear-handle saw I suggest you also consider the Stihl MS200 (not MS200T).
The MS 200 is a well proven design, with aboth the same power and weight as the more unproven 339xp.
They are expensive though.

Thanks for the tip. There is a Stihl dealer on the way home. Ill drop by and look at the MS200. I went to the Stihl's website and looked at the specs and it looks like a good saw. The powerhead is 8.4 pounds compaired to the 12.1 pounds for my Husky 359. A big difference on limbing. My father-in-law has a Stihl 180 that he likes. I did look at the husky 346xp but Im not sure Id gain that much by buying that saw as a limbing saw its 10.1 pounds just two pounds less than the 359 and its still pricy. So a stop at the Stihl dealer is in order. Thanks for the tips.. Rich

339XP??? I don't see it on the Husky USA web site. Maybe it's just available in Europe?

I'm a real fan of the 346XP. From what I've seen, saws fall into a few weight classes. There are the real light, top handle saws that come in around 7-8lbs, but you've wisely eliminated them. The next category of saw are around 10lbs+. Everything from the 137 up thru the 353 falls in this weight category, and the 346XP has the most power and is a pro saw with adjustable oiler, etc, etc. From there you get into the 12lbs +/- category where your 359 fits in.

When I went looking for the same thing I think you are, which is a lighter saw for limbing and smaller work, yet a saw that would still hold up and have some reasonable power, I found the super light weight saws were either top handle or just too low-end (like the 336). In the 10-11lbs class, the 346XP really stands out as an excellent saw with great power to weight (which I placed very high value on) and can be had for about $400.

The attached spreadsheet might be helpful. It shows the specs on both the Stihl and Husky lines with a focus on power and weight. It's not exhaustive since I had some specific saw classes I was looking at when I created it, but it would be simple to drop in other models that you want to compare. From the sheet, you can easily see these weight classes I'm talking about, and then pick out the most powerful saw in the class. These obviously aren't the only criteria for picking a saw, but I found it useful for what it is, so maybe you will too.

twistedtree said:
....... The attached spreadsheet might be helpful. It shows the specs on both the Stihl and Husky lines with a focus on power and weight. .....
Nice sheet, but it contains a lot of questionable info.

The main issues is that it does not differenciate between hp and bhp, and it does not differenciate between true ande false weigh statements from the manufacturers (not your fault!).

Stihls weight statements are mostly right on, but Huskys are anything between .1 kg and .4 kg (357xp) lower than neutral test reports find.:censored: :bang:
The only Husky in the list that weights as adverticed is the 262xp, but by now it is only sold new in Russia.;)

twistedtree said:
339XP??? I don't see it on the Husky USA web site. .....
You're right - it isn't there for some reason - not in Canada either.
I hadn't noticed that.
One is sitting in my dealers display window, and I hear it crying each time I leave or pass by without picking it up......

Last edited:
The 339xp is the rear handled version of the 338xp. The 336 is the rear handled version of the 334.
The MS200 would also be a great choice. Both these saws cut great and are easy to handle for the newbie. Once you run one of these small power houses, your 50 cc saws will go unused.

Hello Mike, I wondered when you would step into this tread and wave the flag for the 336. :D

Which bar length do you prefer on it?

SawTroll said:
Nice sheet, but it contains a lot of questionable info.

The main issues is that it does not differenciate between hp and bhp, and it does not differenciate between true ande false weigh statements from the manufacturers (not your fault!).

Stihls weight statements are mostly right on, but Huskys are anything between .1 kg and .4 kg (357xp) lower than neutral test reports find.:censored: :bang:
The only Husky in the list that weights as adverticed is the 262xp, but by now it is only sold new in Russia.;)

You're right - it isn't there for some reason - not in Canada either.
I hadn't noticed that.
One is sitting in my dealers display window, and I hear it crying each time I leave or pass by without picking it up......

I've just ignored the difference between HP and bHP since they are very close. If that bothers you, you can look at the metric units and forget about all these silly imperial measurements. A kw and a kg are the same everywhere and for everyone.

I've heard the manufacturers published weights called into questions before. I've never weighted my saws, but maybe someday I will to see for myself. It would really surprise me if the published weights are off so much. At least in the US there are all kinds of truth-in-advertising (there's an oxymoron) laws that large companies usually take pretty seriously. .1 kg isn't a big deal, but .4kg I would certainly consider significant, and Elliot Spitzer might too. At one point I had a column with Madsen's weights for various saws, but realized they were weighing full wrap handles and larger spikes, do I dropped it out.

Is "neutral test reports" an actual report name? I've seen some of the German test reports referenced buy I can't read German so I haven't spent too much time with them. I'd welcome any pointers to objective, scientific test results to use in place of mfg claims, but they have to be credible. There's way too much "a Stihl HP is more than a Husky HP", or "a pound of Husky weighs less than a pound of Stihl" floating around.

I went by the Sthil dealer today and looked at the ms200. Very nice say but over 500.00 ouch.. I looked at the 180c which is nice but classed as a homeowner saw and i dont know how it would hold up cutting the acerage I have. So Ive narrowed it to the 180c, husky 142 which some say is a poulan. Is this true and lasty the husky 345E with the 15 inch bar which looks to be better than the stihl or 142 but it is heavier by two pounds. Which would be the better choice?

try a husky 340,345, or 350 which are all good little saws and are built alot better then a 180c or a 142....I've got a 340 for limbing and it works great for limbing and small log cutting...

I wouldn't discount the MS180. It's an amazingly capable little saw and previous poster's have indicated that professional bucket crew use these as their everyday saws.

You might also look at back handled Echo's and Dolmar DCS401's.

MS200 is nice but price is sky high.

I use the same saw to fell, limb, and buck.
By the time you get the smaller saw cranked up, and ready to go you will already have the tree limbed. Unless of course you just want another saw, and there is nothing wrong with that, I have several just hanging in the shed but generaly whatever saw I start with is what I use all day.
Think about it. I could have just saved you 4 or 5 hundred bucks.

Andy

Just curious is he 345E that much different than the 359 I have. The orginal intention is getting limbing saw. The 359 limbs fine but it has a 20inch bar and is a beast for me to run all day weighs 12 pounds. Find myself getting tired after a whire. The Husky 180c is alot lighter but appears to be not as wel made. It doesnt cost as much either.

Rich

rhmcus said:
Just curious is he 345E that much different than the 359 I have. The orginal intention is getting limbing saw. The 359 limbs fine but it has a 20inch bar and is a beast for me to run all day weighs 12 pounds. Find myself getting tired after a whire. The Husky 180c is alot lighter but appears to be not as wel made. It doesnt cost as much either.

Rich
For what you will be using the saw for, it is unwise to consider spending over $500 on a MS200...Shame on you guys for even suggesting it...same goes for the 339..just get any cheap saw like the 180 Stihl.....your best bet would be a used CS345 Echo on ebay if there's any around, or 3450...cheap and plenty peppy.

Husky nut said:
try a husky 340,345, or 350 which are all good little saws and are built alot better then a 180c or a 142....I've got a 340 for limbing and it works great for limbing and small log cutting...
Agreed, but the 180 (preferably not a "c") is notisably lighter (the 142 is not).

The 345E with the "easy start" system probably (I admit it is a guess) weights more than the 350, as the Stihl 250 gained more than 1/2 a pound when it got a similar system.

By the way, I did not say the 142 is a Poulan, just that it is made by Poulan. That may not be quite the same in this case - at least the cylinder is plated......:D

Back