Husky 2 stroke oil vs. Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
The bottle I have in front of me does say 'Jaso FB' API TC/TC+ ratings, but it does say on the front "Fully synthetic engine oil for chain saws and power tools" "Biodegradable" and "Contains fuel stabilizers".

Amazing. API-TC hasn't tested anything since 1995 and there is no such rating as TC+

You will also notice that although Stihl talks about JASO ratings, there is no certification label or registration number, so it looks like they are maybe decorating the label with some bogus ratings.

Husky on the other hand tells no such fibs. They show no ratings of any kind; so they're essentially saying "trust us".

The real truth, as I have the entire JASO list in front of me, is that both Husky and Stihl are apparently too cheap to send a drum of oil and a check for $3700 to Japan and have it tested/certified. That's why I use the Red Max oil in my stuff. It has an FD rating, which is the newest and highest rating that JASO has. The main difference between FC and FD is the increased tolerance of ethanol blended fuels.

Jacob J.
Amazing. API-TC hasn't tested anything since 1995 and there is no such rating as TC+

You will also notice that although Stihl talks about JASO ratings, there is no certification label or registration number, so it looks like they are maybe decorating the label with some bogus ratings.

Husky on the other hand tells no such fibs. They show no ratings of any kind; so they're essentially saying "trust us".

The real truth, as I have the entire JASO list in front of me, is that both Husky and Stihl are apparently too cheap to send a drum of oil and a check for $3700 to Japan and have it tested/certified. That's why I use the Red Max oil in my stuff. It has an FD rating, which is the newest and highest rating that JASO has. The main difference between FC and FD is the increased tolerance of ethanol blended fuels.

Stihl and Husqvarna AB are both ISO 9001 companies? So is there periodic checking of products and ratings on products as a part of this process? (I don't know anything about this whole corporate ISO ratings thing.)

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
I asked Stihl about the Ultra ratings and "only FB". They said they were not going to get it tested beyond FB, and because of other "superior properties" (he did not elaborate except to say it was excellent with ethanol fuel) were trying to get another ISO/Jasco or whatever class defined - like an "G" or something. The guy I talked to was not a marketing schmuck.. and had no reason to mislead me...;)

Last edited:
chugbug

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
My husky dealer doesn't stock the XP oil only the husky low smoke oil , I got my 346xp there and he suggested I use the low smoke oil , The low smoke has a jasco FD rating and doesnt say that its a synthetic , I don't think it is but the XP is a synthetic blend . Would I be better off trying to find the XP oil for the NE 346 XP ?? More protection for hi RPM'S ??

driftmaster77

driftmaster77

ArboristSite Lurker
oils

I notice many run the Stihl ultra because it is a synthetic oil. In motor oils many claim full synthetic but actually are not, Mobil being one, Castrol syntec is another these oils are not made from true synthetic base stock I would imagine the same rings true for 2 stroke oils. I can't find the company that makes this oil for Stihl. There are companies that have been in the forefront of creating true synthetic oil for years, it is a special process. Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple are a few, their 2 stroke oils are the best. Whether Stihl ultra is a true synthetic is a question mark in my mind.

Jacob J.
I asked Stihl about the Ultra ratings and "only FB". They said they were not going to get it tested beyond FB, and because of other "superior properties" (he did not elaborate except to say it was excellent with ethanol fuel) were trying to get another ISO/Jasco or whatever class defined - like an "G" or something. The guy I talked to was not a marketing schmuck.. and had no reason to mislead me...;)

J.D. told us that Ultra is as good as it gets...and that's a man whose word I think is as good as gold.

diesel&coffee

diesel&coffee

ArboristSite Guru
any reason not to use stuff like full syn. royal purple 2 stroke marine or Motul T800 2 stroke off road racing motorcycle oil - smells like bananas!!

well top of the line 2 stroke motorcycle or watercraft oils do?? It is just because I already have them!! He!! they are $$11 - 15 a quart!!

diesel&coffee

diesel&coffee

ArboristSite Guru
ok I will not try to "BUCK" the trend as I try!! Well start using Stihl stuff..

the motorcycle 2 stroke stuff is air cooled thou!! I used royal purple for maybe 2 - 3 tanks.. for short periods every time... Pulled the plug and it did not look bad!! But I will submit without fighting!!

sprung22

sprung22

ArboristSite Operative
I have ran both Stihl and Husky and haven't noticed a difference(both work great).Whichever you can get cheaper is your best bet.