husky 3120 no shut down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djpslim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I own a 3120 that will not shut off . I choke it to shut it down .I have checked the switch and the wire that runs from the coil to the switch both are good . Anyone have an idea of what could be wrong? Other than no shut off the saw starts and runs fine. :angry:

If the switch and wire are good, check the ground... that's all there is to the system. Did you check the switch with a meter?

I own a 3120 that will not shut off . I choke it to shut it down .I have checked the switch and the wire that runs from the coil to the switch both are good . Anyone have an idea of what could be wrong? Other than no shut off the saw starts and runs fine. :angry:

How did you check the switch and wire? Those little slider switches can look ok but still not close and complete the circuit to ground the ignition module. Also, the wire runs close to the flywheel/cooling fan amd cam be damaged. Did you use a meter?

larry

How did you check the switch and wire? Those little slider switches can look ok but still not close and complete the circuit to ground the ignition module. Also, the wire runs close to the flywheel/cooling fan amd cam be damaged. Did you use a meter?

larry
checked the switch with a continuity tester and tested the wire with an ohms meter

My Jred 630 has done that for years. I like the idea of shutting it down with the choke. Leaves a rich mixture of fuel/oil in the saw. That can't be bad.

Its not that big of a deal, those big saws get horrible gas mileage, just rev it a few times and it will simply run out of gas, LOL.

Sam

checked the switch with a continuity tester and tested the wire with an ohms meter

Try this: with the switch in the "off" position, connect your ohm meter to the connector on the ignition module with the other probe touching the magnesium case. you should see something like .4 ohms. showing that the ignition module is grounded. If the ohm meter just blinks or shows a high value, indicating that the ignition module is not grounded at the connector, work your way back to the switch until you find a ground. Be sure that there is a ground at the switch itself. It's been a few summers since i worked on a 3120 but i just checked the parts list and it looks like there is only one wire coming out the back of the switch, not two like on most old huskys. The illustration also shows a screw there. so you'll have to figure out how the switch is grounded. Just remember that the saw is turned off by providing a ground to the connector on the ignition module. Hope this is helpful, good luck.

View attachment 260427

If I did everything correctly you should see an illustration from partstree. If my memory is correct, I think the switch is grounded by a screw that also holds the switch in the case.

It does. I'd think of pulling that screw out and then just tightening it back up. It could be a little corrosion at that connection or the switch isn't making contact internally to that tab.

Should be 0 ohms with the switch turned off and from the tab on the coil to that screw in the case. If not 0 ohms, you have a break some where or a poor ground that may not be enough to kill the coil.

I tested with ohm meter from case to connection on ignition mod. connection and I have .4 ohms with switch turned off. I have run a new wire from the case to the ignition connector and it will still not shut off

Last edited:
I tested with ohm meter from case to connection on ignition mod. connection and I have .4 ohms with switch turned off. I have run a new wire from the case to the ignition connector and it will still not shut off

My best guess at this point is that you have an open conductor in the ignition module. If you ground the connector on the ignition module to the case, that's all that's left. I've never seen that one. Usually the module fails and the saw won't start. Good news is that the part isn't as expensive as more modern saws with epa foofaws. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back