husky 346 should i use oem unlimited coil or aftermarket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I agree that the cut rpm will not hit the limiter, but you'll never get it tuned right if its modded and using a limited coil.

Sorry man, but I believe that is not true. There are plenty of modded saws out there with limited coils and they run great, with no ill effects from the limited coil. A limited coil must be tested in wood to find the best carb settings...it is not hard to find out.

The idea that is must be changed out is a old wise tale unless we are talking about serious race saws, then it will have some ill effects. Most change them out so they can throw a tach on it and just test it with no load. This topic has been hashed out before, with timberwolf providing some good reading on it.

Agree, I don't understand

I'll never figure out why anyone wants to waste money on a unlimeted coil when all it effects is tuning the saw which is easy enough to do with a limited coil. These saws run from 9000 to 9500 in the cut and the limited coil doesn't affect them one bit when cutting. Steve

I'm with MountainLake, I don't understand the need for an unlimited coil.

I don't tune my saws at WOT, I tune them in the cut, limited coil or not. Sometimes a saw will four stroke at WOT, yet still run slightly lean in the cut, so that when the load is lifted, it does not readily four stroke like it should. When I notice this, I richen it up very slightly, and cut times improve, along with the amount of torque, or resistance to bogging.

So what exactly is the issue with a limited coil? Wouldn't it be better to limit the WOT RPMs on a modded saw to extend ring and bearing life? Is there something about running up against the limiter before a cut that affects performance in the beginning of the cut?

well this thread came back from the dead and just got very interesting. i am now glued to my computer. i have obviously been informed that getting rid of the limited coil on my saws is a must. looking forward to some good discussion. but as it reads already i can see where it most likely is not a required change.

Latest posts

Back