Husky 350 vs 450

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a Husky 350 bone stock with 16" bar that is a screamer. Was looking at the 450 as a 2nd small saw. Is the 450 just next generation to the 350 ? Will it cut as fast ?

I have a Husky 350 bone stock with 16" bar that is a screamer. Was looking at the 450 as a 2nd small saw. Is the 450 just next generation to the 350 ? Will it cut as fast ?
The 450 is step down power wise but is a saw .

The 350 was a great little homeowner saw, that readily took 346xp top ends. It was much better then its price range would lend you to believe. The 346 and 353 were excellent saws, but were also talking about saws that are NLA. Finding a 346xp in good shape commands a premium price, the 353 seems to be about the same. I've owned all 3 saws, and still have a 346, and a few 350 laying around. And will tell you if I were in the market for a 50cc saw I'd be getting the 550xp, and skipping the homeowner grade stuff altogether, I havent been impressed much with it lately. Heavy and not very powerful for what it is. Just my opinions

Ditto what sean donato said. With one change. I would avoid the first itteration of 550's, go right to the "Mk2's"

The new 450's are a "X-torq or Strato" clam shell design. They actually run well and with a muffler mod wake up even more. BUT the 350's are an addiction if u get into them. As an alternative to the Aftermarket kits, there is NO better way to get into the saw tweaking and building world for cheap than the Husqvarna 350's. When looking for raw material's the open port early versions of the 350 usually are best. Less likely to have the muffler loose melting the cases. I did a bunch of video's years back, took most down on building 350's.

NOW for a person who just wants a cheap saw to run, an all around saw that is in the price range, mat I suggest a Husqvarna 460.....for the one who is JUST going to run the saw, leave it as it is, and do firewood once a year. Perfect. Capable. Dirt reliable.

And like the 350's , the 357/359 series are now cheap and plentiful for the hobby type to get into the saw building with a capable 60cc option....

and then there are a 365/372....endless opportunites.

I have had a Husky 445 for ten years. It has been a totally-fine saw. Zero issues or complaints.

I agree with the obvious...if you want to spend the money for a pro saw...well...you'll get a better saw.

Here in Maine, on the used-saw market (e.g., CL), Stihl 026 bring the same as Husky 350s. If I was in the market for a second 50 cc saw, I would just buy a $200 runner 026.

Roy

I've gotten yeoman service from a 450 for ten years of intermittent use. It's performance seems comparable to a friends 353.
I wanted something with more power, though, and got a 555. I use both.

Ditto what sean donato said. With one change. I would avoid the first itteration of 550's, go right to the "Mk2's"

The new 450's are a "X-torq or Strato" clam shell design. They actually run well and with a muffler mod wake up even more. BUT the 350's are an addiction if u get into them. As an alternative to the Aftermarket kits, there is NO better way to get into the saw tweaking and building world for cheap than the Husqvarna 350's. When looking for raw material's the open port early versions of the 350 usually are best. Less likely to have the muffler loose melting the cases. I did a bunch of video's years back, took most down on building 350's.

NOW for a person who just wants a cheap saw to run, an all around saw that is in the price range, mat I suggest a Husqvarna 460.....for the one who is JUST going to run the saw, leave it as it is, and do firewood once a year. Perfect. Capable. Dirt reliable.

And like the 350's , the 357/359 series are now cheap and plentiful for the hobby type to get into the saw building with a capable 60cc option....

and then there are a 365/372....endless opportunites.
Yep, thanks, forgot to say mark 2.

I have a 445 which it’s pretty close to a 450 but I prefer my 350 and 346. I have a 550 first markI that’s ok but you gotta let it idle and warm up before it’ll rev right. If you buy another 350 and one gets beyond repair you have a parts saw.

Whew lots of responses. I run the 350 , a nicely modded 372 and a 394. I more than likely will buy 346 parts b4 they dry up to keep that 350 running. I love that little saw. But mostly I was looking for a saw suggestion for cutting and over grown xmas tree patch that was cut out and now a bunch of 1 to 1.5 brush is growing and wanted a lt wt reasonable price saw. Was thinking a cheaper end husky with 14" bar max since I would be bent over a lot trying to get them close to the ground so that I can bush hog come spring.

Whew lots of responses. I run the 350 , a nicely modded 372 and a 394. I more than likely will buy 346 parts b4 they dry up to keep that 350 running. I love that little saw. But mostly I was looking for a saw suggestion for cutting and over grown xmas tree patch that was cut out and now a bunch of 1 to 1.5 brush is growing and wanted a lt wt reasonable price saw. Was thinking a cheaper end husky with 14" bar max since I would be bent over a lot trying to get them close to the ground so that I can bush hog come spring.
If that's all your doing, a $100.00 poulan or whatever would work. Heck an ms 170/180 would work dandy for that little stuff and not break the bank.

Get an FS85 or something cheap with bike bars and a fine tooth blade. No bending over and once you get the hang of it you can cut and move the brush at the same time. It’s the same motion as using a sickle if that makes sense. You can cover a lot more ground with them verses standing on your head with a saw.

Get an FS85 or something cheap with bike bars and a fine tooth blade. No bending over and once you get the hang of it you can cut and move the brush at the same time. It’s the same motion as using a sickle if that makes sense. You can cover a lot more ground with them verses standing on your head with a saw.
That's an excellent idea!

350 is an awesome homeowner saw, 353 is my favorite mid sized saw, I take that and my 372 with me no matter what I’m going to cut.
Either of those saws in good used condition I would take over a new 450 any day of the week.

So the 350 and 450 are not even in the same class ? I may look for a 2nd 350 and buy 346 piston/cylinders and then shelf one of them for the future. I may look into a decent brush head for a higher end weed whacker so to speak. and a cheapo saw is out of the question. I would rather buy a small echo and save it for limbing storm work .

I see you have a 346 top end on your 350. How is it working.
I like it, night and day difference then the stock top end. Very lightweight saw. Dont know if I'd ever put a 350 topend back on, unless 346 topend became scarce. And it's easy to do, just need to clearance a bit if the case. Only trouble I've had is the muffler falling off, but I added and modified a 346 muffler brace, and hasn't been an issue since. Sweet little saw.

350 and 450 are pretty close. 450 is the direct replacement for it. Many like the 350 a little better for its slightly lighter weight and the fact that its pretty easy to put a 346 top end on and get a performance upgrade. If you're just buying a new saw to use normally and not modify anything 450 is a fine saw. It actually is a better saw than the 350 in many ways. No issues with muffler falling off, no air leaks from plastic intake clamp, better chain catcher, quick release top cover.

Back