Husky 353 or 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Maybe looking to buy a new saw soon but in need of some advice. I currently own a Stihl 025 and love the weight of the saw, but looking for a better power to weight ratio to be able to run an 18" bar and chain. To be perfectly honest, I have no complaints about the Stihl. Have had it for 11 years now will little to no problems. The original saw came with the picco micro chain that was a nightmare. I ended up changing to a .325 pitch, .063 chain and 16" bar combo; and just recently trying out an 18" bar with pretty good success. I have done the muffler mods, and upgraded to a rim sprocket set. The saw runs pretty darn good, a little slow at times, but that is the 18" bar putting it through the paces. Just looking for something with a little more power, a little faster, but holding the same average weight (10.6 lbs for the powerhead).

I have been looking hard and heavy at the Huskies. I like the design and all of the great reviews that they have been getting on here, but I am not too sure about availablility of upgrades and aftermarket parts. Can anyone out there shed some light on either model and what kinds upgrades are available (in terms of changing chain sizes, bars, sprockets, etc). BTW, what are the requirements to run a 3/8" pitch chain? I saw one on a larger Husky and fell in love with it. Makes that .325 pitch seem like a sissy.

if your looking to pull an 18" bar you would much happier with a ms361,that would be a great 1-2 punch,026 and a 361 ;)

The 025/250 is a dud, that I would never recommend anyone to get - the Husky 350 is much better quality and better performance at about the same price.

The 346xp is what you want, but the 353 would also be a huge upgrade on the 025.
Both offer much better air filter systems, and a much better anti-vibe system, and are easier serviced.
The 353 is a bit heavier, with a broader useful powerband, but my vote goes to the 346xp anyway, unless you will cut wood that is on the large side for these saws.
18" bar is generally not what these saws prefere - if you are going to do anything close to full bar cuts on a regular basis, take the 353, or preferably a larger saw....

Last edited:
Mini Kahuna,

I agree that would be a great combo. I am thinking that the MS361 is a little out of my current price range, and maybe even a little heavy for my type of cutting. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Saw Troll,

I generally only cut for firewood, stuff that is already down or left over from logging. I rarely fell trees unless it is a necessity due to storm damage, disease, etc. Sometime the 18" bar is just nice to have, but I do admit that it is not absolutely necessary. Do you run the standard .325 pitch on your 353 or did you change? Do you know if it is possible to run a 3/8 pitch chain on a 353 or the 346XP with a short bar (16")? That probably would be my ultimate combo but I don't know if Huskies can be upgraded like that.

Last edited:
What I run on my 353 is 95VP/H30 .325 Narrow kerf chain on a 15" bar, and that is what I would run if I had a 346xp also, unless it was heavily modded..

3/8" chain is not really an option on these saws - 3/8 low pro will not load them enough, and regular 3/8" is just too much, unless they are modded,

I'm sure that there are more opinions out there - your wood could be very different from mine - so don't just trust me....:yoyo: :yoyo:

id say pick a 353, since its the same saw as 346, expect it has 3mm larger bore... About the chains, 353 should pull .325x8 with ease... anyway, both saws are great, so you cant really go wrong with em...

stihl025 said:
Whats the difference between 7 or 8 tooth sprockets? I have always had a 7 tooth on my Stihl....
With the 8 ,your chain will turn faster but you load your engine more.Ive got 2-346,one EHP and i run them both on .325 x 7 now.Ive tried 325 x 8 but the chain was too easy to derail (prolite bar ),came back to 7.Ive used 3/8 on my EHP w/o problem ,easy to pull but on std 346, you should use .325 x 7,thats the best setup for you.The 353 is torquier than 346,maybe 353 is better for you if you cut larger wood.The upgrade like you said are easy to get.

346xp is the king of the mid range saws. Great air filter system great Anti vibration system. I like them i have 2 one with 18" bar and one with a 15" bar. I did have a 3rd one but i scored the piston up on that. The 250 and the 260 are no were as good as it. Might cost a chunk more than the 340 and the 350 but its worth it for the abuse it can take. my other saws are a ms200T and 365 and a ms660. Now i use the 346 where ever i can.

ar, just came back from frosty wonderland, after 4 hours of sawing in -15c and powder snow and i have to say, 353 worked like a dream...

ps. i hate limiter tabs on carb, cant get L mix well adjusted >.<

I have a Husky 351 which is a 1mm smaller bore than the 353. (older version of it) and a modded 346.

Stock either of these two saws do not pull 3/8 chain very well. Sawtroll, the 353 is not heavier....they are the same saw with 3mm difference in bores. husky might claim they are heavier, but they are the same with 1/10 lb.....

Stock for stock, I like the 5100 about 6 times more than the 351/353. It will pull 3/8 chain in 18" bar length in hardwoods with ease.

Sorry to throw a new saw into your mix, but the 5100 is twice the saw these others are.

After having owned a 346 for some time, I can say that if a 16" bar is too short for most of what you cut, I'd opt for a larger saw. If you are cutting <12" wood it works great.

Ian

Freakingstang said:
I have a Husky 351 which is a 1mm smaller bore than the 353. (older version of it) and a modded 346.

Stock either of these two saws do not pull 3/8 chain very well. Sawtroll, the 353 is not heavier....they are the same saw with 3mm difference in bores. husky might claim they are heavier, but they are the same with 1/10 lb.....

Stock for stock, I like the 5100 about 6 times more than the 351/353. It will pull 3/8 chain in 18" bar length in hardwoods with ease.

Sorry to throw a new saw into your mix, but the 5100 is twice the saw these others are.

and half the comfort and reliability...

blis said:
and half the comfort and reliability...

From that staement, i can tell you have never run one. It is the smoothest saw hands down in the 50cc class. The 7900 is the smoothest in the 80cc class.

Two bad raps make it s horrible saw? I have two, does that knock out the bads, no, but people like you will continue to think the way you do and there is no changing that.

You must have missed the part about me haveing all three saws and the 5100 is the smoothest, most powerful and MOST RELIABLE saw of that bunch...

Other than the out of the box start (bought online, no dealer to "tune it" for hte intial run. It has been nothing but a joyious wonder ever time I use it.

Freakingstang said:
From that staement, i can tell you have never run one. It is the smoothest saw hands down in the 50cc class. The 7900 is the smoothest in the 80cc class.

Two bad raps make it s horrible saw? I have two, does that knock out the bads, no, but people like you will continue to think the way you do and there is no changing that.

You must have missed the part about me haveing all three saws and the 5100 is the smoothest, most powerful and MOST RELIABLE saw of that bunch...

Other than the out of the box start (bought online, no dealer to "tune it" for hte intial run. It has been nothing but a joyious wonder ever time I use it.

its true that i never have run any dolmar, but still, imo 353/346 are the best erconomics wise...

blis said:
its true that i never have run any dolmar, but still, imo 353/346 are the best erconomics wise...

That is a hypocrytical statement right there in plain daylight.

You have never run a dolmar, yet the husky is the best....Get a friggin clue dood.

:notrolls2:

Freakingstang said:

More then two bad raps.
I'm not Knocking Your Dolmar saws, You work on your own, not everybody is a self proclaimed doctor of saws.
Thats why there is Dealers and it looks like Dolmar does not want to support there Dealers as well as other Companys.

Latest posts

Back