Husky 353 or 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monkeyhanger said:
Hi,
yes the vibes are measured off/at/on the handles but maybe the steel and rubber dampers have slightly different characteristics? That won't change the absolute values but may change the feel of them if Sawtroll is correct.
Bye
That is pretty close to what I tried to say.:cheers:

Sorry to start such a controversial topic. WOW...

Trying to get back on track for my needs. I have tried to search for info on the narrow kerf chains, but very little info that I seek has come up.

Assuming the purchase of either the 353 or the 346XP, what chain would you run? Is there are true benefit to the narrow kerf chain? And how well does it hold up to a regular .325 pitch chain?

stihl025 said:
Sorry to start such a controversial topic. WOW...

Trying to get back on track for my needs. I have tried to search for info on the narrow kerf chains, but very little info that I seek has come up.

Assuming the purchase of either the 353 or the 346XP, what chain would you run? Is there are true benefit to the narrow kerf chain? And how well does it hold up to a regular .325 pitch chain?

regular .325 should be fine, 3/8 is bit overkill for saw of that size and not really necesary...

stihl025 said:

Hi,

in theory a narrow kerf chain should cut faster but also be little less rugged than a regular chain. That's something my fathers, wifes, sons, brother noticed a while back. He made a note of it for me to read on the internet...

I only run regular chains as they hold up to damage from foreign objects in the wood a little better (splinters from bombs and grenades, bullets, nails, screws and a thousand other things that sometimes appear in the cut) but as I don't think Cecil PA has suffered any major battles since 1914 you should be OK with narrow kerf.

Hope that helps you a little.

Bye

Last edited:
sawinredneck said:
If you can find an old 026 pro, maybe, but the new 260's ge the nod , the lack the adjustable carb, and don't seem to run as well from what I've heard. I have a 346xp on the way. The othe option is a Dolmar 5100s, most seem to like it a lot. I myself love the 50cc Husky saws, can't find anything to compare with the feel and power yet.
Andy

260s DO have an adjustable carb. Mine runs great.
But to answer the original question, go with the 346xp.
I really don't see any reason not to get the .325 chain either. Just don't get the safety crap, and it will cut great.
I have run the 346xp with an 18" on 30" logs.
Wouldn't do it every day, but it can be done.
I now have a 16" bar on it for firewood.

And congrats to you sawinred, you are gonna LOVE it. The 346 screams.
:blob2:

musch said:
260s DO have an adjustable carb. Mine runs great.
But to answer the original question, go with the 346xp.
I really don't see any reason not to get the .325 chain either. Just don't get the safety crap, and it will cut great.
I have run the 346xp with an 18" on 30" logs.
Wouldn't do it every day, but it can be done.
I now have a 16" bar on it for firewood.

And congrats to you sawinred, you are gonna LOVE it. The 346 screams.
:blob2:

Interesting musch, I have been told that the newer 260's do not have an adjustable carb, but I have been wrong before (imagine that).
Thanks for the props on the 346, hope to have it Wensday, really looking forward to it, and need it now! Guess I get to go cut a load of Oak next week, our woodlot is out of seasoned already!! Had six cord sitting a month ago. Have to go cut some standing dead now.
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Interesting musch, I have been told that the newer 260's do not have an adjustable carb, but I have been wrong before (imagine that).
Thanks for the props on the 346, hope to have it Wensday, really looking forward to it, and need it now! Guess I get to go cut a load of Oak next week, our woodlot is out of seasoned already!! Had six cord sitting a month ago. Have to go cut some standing dead now.
Andy
Yeah, they have that "intellicarb" thing, but I honestly dont really know how it works. Supposedly it compensates for whatever adjustments you would do after the break in period.
If you want, you can still fiddle with the carb screws, though.
Mine hasn't needed it, but I haven't modded the muffler on it (yet)

:biggrinbounce2:

musch said:
Supposedly it compensates for whatever adjustments you would do after the break in period.

Hi,

the intellicarb (the 357XP has something similar) compensates, up to a point, for the air filter getting dirty. It doesn't do anything else.

Bye

sawinredneck said:
Interesting musch, I have been told that the newer 260's do not have an adjustable carb, but I have been wrong before (imagine that). ...
They are back to fully adjustable - Stihl took the point after the massive criticism to the fixed H let carbs a while ago...:D

SawTroll said:
They are back to fully adjustable - Stihl took the point after the massive criticism to the fixed H let carbs a while ago...:D

Good to know, thank you for clearing that up fpr me!
Andy

Update!!!

Well, a lot of thanks to everyone who expressed their opinions between the two saws. I am sorry to say that it was almost for nothing...

I went to an auction this afternoon after work and purchased a Husky 357XP for $185 that is in great shape, very clean. Tested it on site and it runs like a champ.

It looks as if I will be going back to a 16" bar and chain on my 025 and use it more for limbing. Now, I can't wait to sink those dawgs into a log. Have to wait till Thursday, darn...

stihl025 said:
Well, a lot of thanks to everyone who expressed their opinions between the two saws. I am sorry to say that it was almost for nothing...

I went to an auction this afternoon after work and purchased a Husky 357XP for $185 that is in great shape, very clean. Tested it on site and it runs like a champ.

It looks as if I will be going back to a 16" bar and chain on my 025 and use it more for limbing. Now, I can't wait to sink those dawgs into a log. Have to wait till Thursday, darn...
A 025 with a 16 inch bar and a 357XP with a 18 or 20 inch bar...............sounds like a great combo to me! :cheers:

I don't have much trigger time on a 460, but if a 440 is anything like a 460 then the 7900 has better AV.

Understand that this is to my hands..........my hands alone!!!

I own a pair of 346's and a pair of 5100's. No comparison!!!
The 5100 is smoother and is flat out more ballsy!!!
The 5100 can run 3/8 chain stock without a problem!!!

rahtreelimbs said:
I don't have much trigger time on a 460, but if a 440 is anything like a 460 then the 7900 has better AV.

Understand that this is to my hands..........my hands alone!!!

I own a pair of 346's and a pair of 5100's. No comparison!!!
The 5100 is smoother and is flat out more ballsy!!!
The 5100 can run 3/8 chain stock without a problem!!!

Yup.... :bang:

the 440 is the "smaller" version of the same 460 saw...tad bigger tank with the same mounts, same crank and bearings, a tad beefier case......and of coarse the bigger bore..... Same vibes felt by the user. The 460 may have a tad more feedback than the 440 does from my experience.

Back