Husky 357 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl had a very good tradition of true weight specs on their pro saws until the 441 came out, but then it was game over......:censored:

I have seen no evidence on the MS362 weight yet, but the added bulk is there, regardless if the weight spec is true.....:givebeer:

Another note, the 359 really doesn't belong in this discussion, as it isn't a pro saw.

Regarding the 357xp, it had an auto decomp for some years, that failed occationally and contributed to a somewhat ragged reputation on here, as well as the carb issues that appeared later.

The 357xp will be replaced by a new "strato" design any time now - the specs that have leaked out looks somewhat impressive, but it remains to be seen if they are true......

SawTroll My 362 with B/C gas&oil come's at 17.7lb's my 346xp with 20in B/C gas&oil is 14.6lb's.the 362 don't feel that heavy when i am useing it it is balanced out good.

Mike

I have a newer 357, dead reliable. I yanked the limiters, added a 288 muffler mod and it is a snappy powerful little saw. Starts 2nd or 3rd pull everytime. Running a 20" b/c with a little grabby filed semi-chisel it just plain cuts. Under-rated saw IMO, although my 372 with 28" b/c is still my favorite due to less bending over and more power.

The quality and design of the cylinder + the resulting rather low power output for a 59cc saw.

:greenchainsaw:
The xp does have a more expensive cylinder made by Mahle. But the fact that there are so many modded 359s that turn way more RPMs than design spec suggests that there isn't a quality issue.

The xp does have a more expensive cylinder made by Mahle. But the fact that there are so many modded 359s that turn way more RPMs than design spec suggests that there isn't a quality issue.

Both cylinders are made by Mahle...

i have a 2007 359 that has a mahle cylinder

SawTroll My 362 with B/C gas&oil come's at 17.7lb's my 346xp with 20in B/C gas&oil is 14.6lb's.the 362 don't feel that heavy when i am useing it it is balanced out good.

Mike

Sure - balance is another issue - people tend to destroy the balance of lighter saws by putting too long/heavy bars on them - each to his own!

Sure - balance is another issue - people tend to destroy the balance of lighter saws by putting too long/heavy bars on them - each to his own!

Ok Troll You seem to be very wise on on the topic of saws. Your wisdom it seems can only come from years of chainsaw experience. So i am going to ask you an honest question. Would it be a wise move to upgrade from a 359 to 357XP? IS this worth Doing? I know many guys willl say just go to a 372Xp but honestly i think a 372XP is a bit of overkill for my needs.

i have run a number of tanks of fuel through the 357xp.

seemed to be a very good saw, good power for its size.

i think the thing that gets the 357xp is its retail price seems pretty high from what i have seen around here.

most folks that do serious cutting spring a few more bucks for the bigger 372xp series.

i feel the price saveings and potential of a out of the box 359 thats correctly tuned does infact put it in the same discussion as the 361/2 and 357.

sawtroll have you owned or operated a 359

Ok Troll You seem to be very wise on on the topic of saws. Your wisdom it seems can only come from years of chainsaw experience. So i am going to ask you an honest question. Would it be a wise move to upgrade from a 359 to 357XP? IS this worth Doing? I know many guys willl say just go to a 372Xp but honestly i think a 372XP is a bit of overkill for my needs.

What is the price difference between the two? I would probably go with the 359 and replace the muffler with a non-cat unit, and then do a muffler mod. I have had 2 359's, seem like a good reliable saw. Have never run a 357xp.

What is the price difference between the two? I would probably go with the 359 and replace the muffler with a non-cat unit, and then do a muffler mod. I have had 2 359's, seem like a good reliable saw. Have never run a 357xp.

Price differance is about 150 $ american.

i feel the price saveings and potential of a out of the box 359 thats correctly tuned does infact put it in the same discussion as the 361/2 and 357.

Only when the discussion is about modded saws - as you surely know, the others also can be modded.......:givebeer:

There have been enough threads/posts about disappointed 359 buyers on here, to confirm the lack-luster power specs - for most people it is totally uninteresting what modding can do to a saw - totally different game! :givebeer:

Last edited:
I did not say anything about modding i said the potential when correctly tuned is there.

the same can be true of the 361/2 aswell as the 357

I did not say anything about modding i said the potential when correctly tuned is there.

the same can be true of the 361/2 aswell as the 357

I believe all specs are for "correctly tuned" (but stock) saws - including the 359 - I just don't get your point??????

.5 hp is quite a difference on saws that size, and more so when the stronger saw also has the better top-end performance, as in this case....

Last edited:
:chainsaw:Okay Anyone else want to weigh in?

If you can walk away from this site after you decide which saw and never log on again then buy the 359 and stay away!!!! If you think you might be around for a while and kinda like tinkering, then buy the 372 and then later a good 50cc saw like the 346xp. The first saw I bought was a 361 and it is a great saw. If I had it to do over again I would buy a 372 or comparable saw first then add a 50cc saw later. Thats the best combo for just about anything.

I have the Jred version of the 357 (2156) and have been very happy with it. With an 18" bar and 3/8 full chisel chain it has no problem pulling it buried in frozen hardwood. If you are not into modding get the 357 as the 359 is noticably less powerful

Latest posts

Back