Husky 357xp or 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 2165's ans a 2156. I cut 220 trees out of my woods 2 years ago using only the 2165's for everything.(cutting, limbing, and bucking) the trees where mostly hardwoods (oak, ash, maple, beech and cherry), averaging 18" to 24" with some bigger up to 48"+. The same 2 2165's have also cut hundreds of chords of firewood with no problems. I have been very happy with these saws.I choose this saw at the time due to price, and have no regrets.

Just this winter I purchased a 2156, and it is now my go-to saw. It is much (noticably) lighter for running all day, and still is a very powerful saw. I believe that for running in softwood up to 30" it would be my saw of choice. And I couldnt see any problem running a 20" bar with 3/8 chain in softwood (although I have never tried). I know that with my 18" bar and 3/8 chain the saw still seems plenty powerful and fast even when fully buried in hardwood. It is my opinion why carry the added weight of the 2165 when the 2156 does the job just as well at a lighter weight. Also if you are limbing these trees, the 2156 absolutlly rips, so it would save alot of time.

These are my observations, hope it helps.

TS:cheers:

Last edited:
geek out a 3fiddy9 and finish that gig a bit quicker.

Surely the 359 has less poke!!

Just got a 353 for a good price, as new!! but not much of an upgrade on the 360. I didn't realise the 350 had plastic crankcases:censored: what's that all about.
353 up for sale mmmmmmmmmm what next!!!:confused:

I will actually answer your ? without throwing three other saws/brands your not asking advice on. The 365 is a great saw. Theres a fly by night operation that runs a 36" bar on it for their felling saw. My husky dealer sold it to him back in 01 and we always laugh and marvel at it at the same time, it wont die and gets it done quite well. Not my first choice but yes specs on paper mean crap iif it doesn't perform in the woods. Grab a 365 you'll appreciate the torque, thats why the 660 is such a great saw, it's not the speed of it that makes it great it's the torque.

I knooooooow I'm repeating myself here, but........

372XP: one of the all time greats. Respected by nearly everyone here on AS, which is a critical and tough crowd to please.

365: identicle saw to the 372 with the exception of the fact that the cylinder bore is.........watch out.........get ready........sit down........take a deep breath.........TWO whole milimeters smaller!!!

Oh my God! It's a pig. It's got no balls. It's heavy. Don't buy one.

Extra credit: Name two things that you won't find in the woods: A stop watch and a spec sheet. :cheers:

i wouldnt lie to you man. she isnt a "pro" by the xp standard but it is a good saw. so much so, that i actually like my 3fiddy9 over the 361.

dont get the 353.

To late! but it's up for sale..

I want more power:clap:

Love torque:chainsaw:

What with those plastic crankcases:dizzy: Surely it will melt:cry: 350 gone anyway. 353 up for sale too, this is better but not much of an upgrade I can't get woods porting in the uk!!!!

Watch the muffler bolts (as you should on any saw), and it won't happen...:greenchainsaw:

I knooooooow I'm repeating myself here, but........

372XP: one of the all time greats. Respected by nearly everyone here on AS, which is a critical and tough crowd to please.

365: identicle saw to the 372 with the exception of the fact that the cylinder bore is.........watch out.........get ready........sit down........take a deep breath.........TWO whole milimeters smaller!!!

Oh my God! It's a pig. It's got no balls. It's heavy. Don't buy one.

Extra credit: Name two things that you won't find in the woods: A stop watch and a spec sheet. :cheers:

Aren't we all? :cheers:

You are right of course, but I'd still buy the 372xp......

Last edited:
4.6 is the stock hp in the UK for a 361, Different cylinder and muffler.

And also in Europe the definition of a HP is often the German pferedestarke which is slightly less (a few %) than a US horsepower - accounting for some of the difference

MMMMMM, ive been looking at this one!!!! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110371660543

The company selling it is up your neck of the woods, pardon the pun.

Do you know or have you heard of them?

Are they reputable?

atb CC

2250 sales in the last 12 months and 1 neg and 2 neutrals none of them seemed very valid complaints.
I have bought from them. Im confident you will be OK with them!
They are 200+ miles away (South) Im in Inverness.

What with those plastic crankcases:dizzy: Surely it will melt:cry: 350 gone anyway. 353 up for sale too, this is better but not much of an upgrade I can't get woods porting in the uk!!!!

The concern with the plastic crankcase is much ado about nothing!! I woods ported my 350 over a year ago, still running strong!

What is done on the Woods porting?:)

To cut it to the basics, You enlarge the ports in the cylinder to allow more gas to travel through.
The exit on the muffler is enlarged as well.
Sometimes the transfers are opened up as well.
The transfers are how the gas gets from the crankcase to the cylinder.
The squish is tightened up as well.
The squish is the space between the top of the piston and the cylinder.

Thats the basics.
A 359 can be made to cut twice as fast as stock.
Or more!!!!!!!

Check out some more of Timberwolfsaws vids, The 262XP stock and ported is twice as fast also.
Its Timberwolf from this site BTW :bowdown:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-iKroEAU14&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F-iKroEAU14&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Latest posts

Back