Husky 359 E-Tech performance issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101mph

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a Husky 359 E-Tech pulling a 20" Bar. I got the saw used a few years ago and the guy I bought it from looked like he took very good care of it. He even did a muffler mod to it so it would "breath" better (has the little port coming out the top of the muffler at an angle).

Anyways it's been a great saw. I'm just wondering if I need to do any work to it (I only use the saw occasionally on the weekends so it doesn't get a ton of use).

I was cutting a storm blow down black cherry tree the other day (good size tree about 20" dia) and I seemed to have to baby the saw a little when I got about half way through the tree (by baby the saw I mean I couldn't really use the dogs on it to help push the bar through the round or I would stall it out. I had to keep the RPMS high and just let it pull itself through the log).

I don't know if I'm expecting too much from the saw because the bar was pretty much completely buried in the tree (maybe a half inch poking through at the largest point of the log) or if this is an indication of a potential problem. The chain was sharp.

I did change the plug last July and it hasn't been used much since. This was really the first time this year I put a decent amount of cutting on the saw.

What do you guys think?

I would check the compression. Carb adjustment also can help performance. If your saw has the 199 Walbro on it check the big diaphragm end of it and see if it has a hole drilled in it. If it has the 199 and doesn't have the hole take the cover off and drill a 1/8" hole in it at the center.

You said the muffler is modded - but is it the original cat one, or is it a non-cat one?

Be aware that the 359 purposely is designed to not perform with the strongest 60cc saws, and it is no wonder it isn't a stellar performer with a buried 20" bar in basically stock form.

You said the muffler is modded - but is it the original cat one, or is it a non-cat one?

Be aware that the 359 purposely is designed to not perform with the strongest 60cc saws, and it is no wonder it isn't a stellar performer with a buried 20" bar in basically stock form.

I have no idea about the muffler. How can I tell? I can get a pic of it if that will help.

Why is this saw designed not to perform?

I have no idea about the muffler. How can I tell? I can get a pic of it if that will help.

Why is this saw designed not to perform?

Because it was designed to be sold as a lower priced alternative to the 357xp - and basically is the same saw with a different engine.

Is there a part number and/or any letters on that muffler? The serial number of the saw also may be of interest.

The point with cat mufflers originally was to protect the user against toxic fumes from the saw, but it also makes the saw run hotter, and reduces performance. It originally was an option, that you had to pay for. E-tech = cat muffler.
The reason is so common in the US is the EPA system, as the cat also helps some in that regard. Some models only was taken into the US with a cat muffler for some years, and the 359 was one of them.
Husky quit doing it some years ago, as they found better ways to keep the EPA "happy", but there are other brands that still use cat mufflers.

If I remember correctly, if the muffler is a cat type it will be stamped "CAT" next to the part# which can be seen on the upper front of the muffler, in front of where the exhaust exits. I think this is visible with the top cover on.....I will have to check on this when I get to the shop....I have both CAT and non-cat 359s there...

Because it was designed to be sold as a lower priced alternative to the 357xp - and basically is the same saw with a different engine.

Is there a part number and/or any letters on that muffler? The serial number of the saw also may be of interest.

The point with cat mufflers originally was to protect the user against toxic fumes from the saw, but it also makes the saw run hotter, and reduces performance. It originally was an option, that you had to pay for. E-tech = cat muffler.
The reason is so common in the US is the EPA system, as the cat also helps some in that regard. Some models only was taken into the US with a cat muffler for some years, and the 359 was one of them.
Husky quit doing it some years ago, as they found better ways to keep the EPA "happy", but there are other brands that still use cat mufflers.

I will get a picture of the muffler tomorrow and post it here.

I would guess that this is a cat muffler and the previous owner modded it to get a little more performance out of it. But I will get more info to you.

What would it take to get this engine up to the specs of a 357xp? I'm not a chainsaw mechanic, but I may be handy enough to handle some mods if they aren't to crazy.

Thanks for the help guys!

I have a 359 with a 20 in bar on it I did some mild port work and mm on it and it woke it up pretty good

As for your concerns with how your saw is running now I wouldn't worry about it that is the biggest recommend bar buried in hard wood it's not going to be fast just keep the chain sharp and let it cut

One more thing
How old is the fuel you said it hasn't been run much lately

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

What would it take to get this engine up to the specs of a 357xp? I'm not a chainsaw mechanic, but I may be handy enough to handle some mods if they aren't to crazy.

Thanks for the help guys!

The 359 engine is known to respond very well to the right port work, but I'm not an expert on how to do it. It is best left to an expert.

Btw, the one that made an extra outlet on the muffler may well have removed the cat as well (if he used the original muffler at all, so check what's inside it).

Update.

Turns out a poorly sharpened chain was the cause of this problem. I've been just touching it up lately and apparently not paying close enough attention to what I was doing. I was counting my filing strokes but the pressure I was applying on one side of the chain was less than the other resulting in smaller teeth on one side of the chain. The saw was actually cutting on an arc and binding up the bar which bogged the saw down in the cut. The bar was also getting pretty hot so I had to stop.

I had a new chain and put that one on as a test and it cut MUCH better. So I'm going to see if I can even out the teeth on the first chain and get it to cut better. I'd hate to toss it as it's a nice Stihl chain and only about half way through it's use.

I wasn't able to get any pics this time around (to much other work to do) but I will try and get some of this saw and make another thread if I have any other issues.

Thanks for the help guys.

It should be salvageable if you can't get it back I'm sure a saw shop could

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I purchased a e series when they first came out its been awhile. It was a big saw with a 24 inch bar I can't remember the size at least 60cc my guess. After about 6 months from being new my fuel line started cracking and the saw started running sluggish. That was my first and last husky I owned. I was pissed the fuel line on a new saw was rotting. Just something to watch for.

Update: I filed the chain (measured each tooth to and got all to within .003") and did some test cuts and the saw ran great. Chain lost some life but its cutting fine now. Ill be more careful sharpening it in the future.

Back