Husky 359 or 555?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
I'd like to get another Husky, a little bigger and more powerful then my NE 346XP. One of the Husky dealers in my area has a 359 left and a bunch of new 555s. I want to keep the weight down but still be able to run a 20" b&c on it. I'll use it mainly for cutting firewood and then use it a little here and there on our property cleaning up blow downs and such that might be a little big for my NE 346XP.

I had a Husky 365 Special (new in 2007), sold it after I didn't think I'd need a saw that big anymore....then we moved! I definitely don't want another saw as big and heavy as my 365 Spec. was. So is the 555 $75 or so better then the 359?

Thanks, NYH1.

Yes, I leave my chainsaws and all my other power equipment stock. The Camaro.....well that's a different story!

Thanks, NYH1.

***Edited to add- I did put a non-cat muffler on my NE 346XP when I bought it. That's were my "mods" end though.***

This dealer sells both Husky and JRed's. I like the bar angle on the Husky's better then the straight bars on the JRed. Just a preference that's all.

NYH1.
I have Husky's and liked the angled handle better too until i got a 2260 last week and now i don't even notice the difference anymore.

Limbing is a little different but other than that i don't notice.

Everyone is different i suppose[emoji2]

Looks like you have made up your mind, but if it were me I would go with the 555 also if staying stock. If you were planning on getting the saw ported, I would definitely get the 359 and put the $75 saved towards that. Ported 359s are very impressive saws from what I've heard. But a stock 555 will cut plenty good, best firewood saw on the market, IMO.

I have both and run both as firewood saws. They both run the same power and speed wise after the 359 was muffler mod'd. The 555 is stock.

The 555 runs a NK chain, and it doesnt hold and edge as well in hard wood compared to the 359 3/8 chain. The 555 is lighter and noticable in that reguard. I use them interchangeably and didn't find myself going for one over the other the last time we were cutting wood.

I do like the umph that the 359 has, it sounds meaner and deaper with the muffler mod and I can get on it a little more without bogging it down. Not To say the 555 bogs down, but you can feel it start to work hard when you dig in with the help of the rakers. You can lean on both and they hum along. Leveraging the saw in the cut is were you notice the extra torque and larger CC's of the 359.

I'll drop a 3/8 chain on the 555 nextbround and see how she fares.

****everything I said was about a 550, not a 555....Doooh, I'll leave it as is for your amusement. i have a 550 and a 559******

Latest posts

Back