Husky 359 with compression release

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It was running 2 yrs ago. It has a gummed up carb. Orig bar and chain. It's maybe 15 yrs old. We can fix that carb, or replace it.
What's it worth? And, how do I mod the muffler, a little?
Neighbor wants to barter.
Thx. For all comments advice.
My first husky.
Nate
And

So you got the saw off of your neighbour, or the two of you are fixing it up to barter with?

Yes, fix the carb, strip it down , clean it out and OEM kit it.
Check it does not have a plastic manifold clip holding manifold to cylinder- replace with a metal clamp if it does.
Think seriously about replacing all the rubber components for fuel, oil, intake and impulse- plus crank seals if you are keen- or they need it!

It is woth as much as examples of 359/2159's are selling for in your region.

Muffler mod (a little) can be done under the front support bracket. Doing so allows for a spark arrestor screen to be added between muffler face and support bracket if arrestors are a legal requirement where you cut.

image0 (1).jpeg

Nifty little trick.

In no way do I claim it as "my own" nifty trick- think I first saw that done on a 346XP, but it is not a new style of mod.
Saves the need for a deflector or welded in tubes and the fear of melting anything plastic.
Just the easiest way to get an arrestor screen in for us over here- cannot cut in plantation forests without spark arrestors fitted here.

I paid $50 each for a 357XP, a 359, and a 262 xp last spring PHO not running. I was lucky in that the only one needing a piston/cylinder was the 262. I kept the 262 for myself, and sold the 357 xp for $350 with new bar and chain and the 359 for $300. My limit on a non running saw especially with out a bar and chain would be $100 and it would really have to be a saw I want.

Back