Husky 359 with compression release

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Natster

Natster

ArboristSite Guru
It was running 2 yrs ago. It has a gummed up carb. Orig bar and chain. It's maybe 15 yrs old. We can fix that carb, or replace it.
What's it worth? And, how do I mod the muffler, a little?
Neighbor wants to barter.
Thx. For all comments advice.
My first husky.
Nate
And

Bob Hedgecutter

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
So you got the saw off of your neighbour, or the two of you are fixing it up to barter with?

Yes, fix the carb, strip it down , clean it out and OEM kit it.
Check it does not have a plastic manifold clip holding manifold to cylinder- replace with a metal clamp if it does.
Think seriously about replacing all the rubber components for fuel, oil, intake and impulse- plus crank seals if you are keen- or they need it!

It is woth as much as examples of 359/2159's are selling for in your region.

Muffler mod (a little) can be done under the front support bracket. Doing so allows for a spark arrestor screen to be added between muffler face and support bracket if arrestors are a legal requirement where you cut.

image0 (1).jpeg

Bob Hedgecutter

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Nifty little trick.

In no way do I claim it as "my own" nifty trick- think I first saw that done on a 346XP, but it is not a new style of mod.
Saves the need for a deflector or welded in tubes and the fear of melting anything plastic.
Just the easiest way to get an arrestor screen in for us over here- cannot cut in plantation forests without spark arrestors fitted here.

cranman1951

cranman1951

ArboristSite Operative
I paid $50 each for a 357XP, a 359, and a 262 xp last spring PHO not running. I was lucky in that the only one needing a piston/cylinder was the 262. I kept the 262 for myself, and sold the 357 xp for $350 with new bar and chain and the 359 for $300. My limit on a non running saw especially with out a bar and chain would be $100 and it would really have to be a saw I want.