Husky 365 chain won't stay tight.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil21502

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a one year old husky 365xt and the chain won't stay tight. I can tighten it and as soon as using it it loosens up. All parts on the tensioner assembly look to be fine. I've noticed that if I tighten the chain and run the chain around the bar by hand that at about half way around it loosens and if I keep moving it around it tightens and the loosens again. I'm out of ideas. I've tried numerous chains. Bar maybe?

how many tanks on this unit? do you lift the bar tip when tensioning and keep it lifted before tightening bar nuts? tight, loose, tight, loose usually points to a worn rim or bar tip.

I would look at your clutch drum and sprocket to make sure the chain is riding in them properly,Also the bar groove may have a bad spot that the chain is not riding all the way down.

Probably around 6 tanks on the saw. And I do lift the tip up while tightening. Is the rim sprocket supposed to have side to side movement?

There once was a discussion here about loosening the slack on a chain after each use, because in the middle of the night the chain shinks and bends the pto causing said loose, tight, loose tight symptom.

last time i had this happen was on a 16" small mount cannon and it ended up being the bar tip. actually got it replaced free cause it was like that when new. does not mean it's your issue but i remember that was the last one for me. i can't remember if i heard cannon make the woodland pro bars.

Yes there guys are on the right track here.
Its something out of round. I've seen egged shaped sprockets, tight master link, bad quality of chain. A possible break in the chain, often its end play in the crank. As mentioned, tip or clutch bearing/drum

I would look at your clutch drum and sprocket to make sure the chain is riding in them properly,Also the bar groove may have a bad spot that the chain is not riding all the way down.
This could very well be.
Considering how new things are I would start with the chain and bar; may have been victim of trama in one section. (Don't ask me how I would know this)
Check the chain dosent ride up in one sec then remove and examin skrockets by turning, could be broken in half ?
Start there man

K. I'll tear into the bar tomorrow. Wish I had another one to try. I'll keep u posted

You got another chain? Could you have bent it by getting a pitch and prying on it or something loaded benting the chain.
If it's the case it's likely riding up in the grove and lose off the bar between the sprocket then tight in the sproket. If not detected; Roll it back and forth to the right area and focus on the drive sprocket as that's the area that'd least forgiving as its a lot smaller that the tip sprocket if you cant see the chain "riding high" May want to take the starter off as the starter pawls may hang up in reverse rotation.

THEN if you find a consistent tight spot then follow with your eye and roll it out the bottom and you should see the problem link as you pull out of the bar grove.

THEN look at tip sprocket ect if still needed

Back