Husky 372 chank bearing issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IyaMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 372xp new, and I picked this saw due to its long term reputation.

But I've heard that its common for the crank bearing to fail after a couple months.

I'll be using this for multi-purpose: felling, bucking, and softwood milling.

Anybody have experience with this bearing issue? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

I may be speaking out of turn here as real dealers and repair shops should answer this vs. someone like myself. One of those conversations where you can't win as everyone wants to push and pull creating an argument. I've replace a few sets of case bearings in the earlier versions of that saw. Usually the clutch side had failed. The common denominator was they all were nylon caged ball bearings. I believe the newer versions have a steel caged bearing as I understand and I have yet to see one requiring repair WITH steel caged bearings as they hold together! (None of the ones I've build with steel caged bearings have come back for repair) Another issue is out of the box tune. The ignition is limited to 13300 vs the older 372's 13500 for a reason. For a while some were trying to get to the max RPM's to make them sound/run like their earlier version 372's. Setting the saw up at 12900-13000 "no load" rpm's with a tach is a must. Trying for 13500 is a path to a ruined saw. And ..I recommend fuel / two stoke oil mixed at 32:1...although 40:1 should be fine. Using a good synthetic. Net of my experience is those saws with steel caged main bearings set to 12900 no load and burning a good synthetic two stroke oil will do just fine in a professional environment. I know of a bunch of those early ones that are doing fine as well as I support them. At least 10. three are 2012 bought saws I replaced the mains bearings with NSK steel caged bearings. The rest are a mix of earlier and new saw, some no doubt with nylon caged bearings but are holding up anyway.

Bottom Line?
I believe the later versions have the better bearings so you buying a new saw built in 2015/16 should have no problems assuming the No Load RPM's are set right and that saw is burning a good 2 stroke mix. I certainly wouldn't be afraid of them now in fact would recommend one at this point.

I bought a 2001 372xp in 2011 from a tree removal co. it looked well used. The Guy said it had been his Dad's saw and had not been used much the last 6 years as he had a couple more 372s, the saw ran well, some time later I got a tach, found this saw to be turning 14600 RsPM, study of specs. showed max should be 13500.
Going to the carb I find the H needle up against the limiter and can't be richened any further, I can only assume this saw spent it's whole life at 14600, I trimmed the limiter and richened it up to 13800.

John

I may be speaking out of turn here as real dealers and repair shops should answer this vs. someone like myself. One of those conversations where you can't win as everyone wants to push and pull creating an argument. I've replace a few sets of case bearings in the earlier versions of that saw. Usually the clutch side had failed. The common denominator was they all were nylon caged ball bearings. I believe the newer versions have a steel caged bearing as I understand and I have yet to see one requiring repair WITH steel caged bearings as they hold together! (None of the ones I've build with steel caged bearings have come back for repair) Another issue is out of the box tune. The ignition is limited to 13300 vs the older 372's 13500 for a reason. For a while some were trying to get to the max RPM's to make them sound/run like their earlier version 372's. Setting the saw up at 12900-13000 "no load" rpm's with a tach is a must. Trying for 13500 is a path to a ruined saw. And ..I recommend fuel / two stoke oil mixed at 32:1...although 40:1 should be fine. Using a good synthetic. Net of my experience is those saws with steel caged main bearings set to 12900 no load and burning a good synthetic two stroke oil will do just fine in a professional environment. I know of a bunch of those early ones that are doing fine as well as I support them. At least 10. three are 2012 bought saws I replaced the mains bearings with NSK steel caged bearings. The rest are a mix of earlier and new saw, some no doubt with nylon caged bearings but are holding up anyway.

Bottom Line?
I believe the later versions have the better bearings so you buying a new saw built in 2015/16 should have no problems assuming the No Load RPM's are set right and that saw is burning a good 2 stroke mix. I certainly wouldn't be afraid of them now in fact would recommend one at this point.
You nailed it!

I bought a 2001 372xp in 2011 from a tree removal co. it looked well used. The Guy said it had been his Dad's saw and had not been used much the last 6 years as he had a couple more 372s, the saw ran well, some time later I got a tach, found this saw to be turning 14600 RsPM, study of specs. showed max should be 13500.
Going to the carb I find the H needle up against the limiter and can't be richened any further, I can only assume this saw spent it's whole life at 14600, I trimmed the limiter and richened it up to 13800.

John

The old style "non x-torq" 371/372's could twist at those RPM's. The change was in the 2010-2011 models when they went to an X-Torq design. Completely different top end design. Different carb and subtle differences in the cases to accommodate the longer "skirt" from the new design cylinder. A taller piston....ALL on the same basic crank and bearing arrangement from the early additions with the exception of nylon caged bearings...:)

I've heard this about the 562, but not the 372.
Again the early 562's seemed to have some statistical issues on the flywheel side bearings...replaced a few of those too. After they changed cases to the six screw and the carb/ignitions to the el48's I don't think I have seen any of the later configurations have those issues. Seems like a trend on the first couple of years of Strato saws = teething issues. Husqvarna is WAY ahead there and the new offerings don't seem to have those issues. Also it should be said that the ones I saw were also abuse cases....all from pro logger operations with hired fellers..(fellows??) From what I have seen I wouldn't be afraid of a new 562's and....have a hunch that's only going to get better in 2016..:)

Having said that I have an early 5 screw case 555 and junk pile 562 with a blend of an el44 and el46 carb that works just fine! I also think keeping the RPM's under 13k on the 372 X-torq's and running a"more oil in the gas" mix...40:1 or what I do 32:1 will add life to ALL of them and especially the ones that still have the nylon caged bearings. BTW the 562's built in 2015 to this point still have nylon caged bearings and seem to be OK. I would definitely run 40:1 or more oil in those. Also remember Stihl's have run nylon caged bearings in their non Strato saws for years without issues....wonder if they still do with the Strato saws which have more heat in the bottom ends...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Good advice and give me peace of mind.

If I go with the 372 it'll be new (so have the steel case bearings). I'll be sure to keep the RPMs in check and run the mix at 40:1 or probably a bit less, (with at least 32:1 for any milling). I was just reading on a different thread about keeping the clutch properly greased as well.

Again, thanks.

Does anyone know what year exactly they went to the steel cage bearings? I just got a new 372xp yesterday and it is a 2013 according to the sticker. My dealer had the rep search surrounding dealers for one and that's what he came up with.

Does anyone know what year exactly they went to the steel cage bearings? I just got a new 372xp yesterday and it is a 2013 according to the sticker. My dealer had the rep search surrounding dealers for one and that's what he came up with.

I really don't know. The dealers all get service bulletins and therefore should be able to find out. To be perfectly frank, unless your hammering the crap out of it and NOT taking care, I don't think it will really matter. I support one logging outfit that has 5 372 xt saws all bought in 2012 and I know they all have those nylon caged bearings. I had to tear one down the end of last year because of the clutch side bearing....that's 3 years of 24 - 7 abuse. One of five. I have a 2172 and I know it has the nylon caged bearings. I'm not going to stop using it or rip it apart to change them. My bet is for the far majority of even the nylon caged bearings saws, keeping the No load RPM in check and running a good mix will keep them happy. AND I ordered a set of "OEM" cases a while back to repair a 372xpw "old style"....the new set of cases had the nylon caged bearings! So I DID swap them out at that point. Guess the message is don't panic over those bearings.

I really don't know. The dealers all get service bulletins and therefore should be able to find out. To be perfectly frank, unless your hammering the crap out of it and NOT taking care, I don't think it will really matter. I have a 2172 and I know it has the nylon caged bearings. I'm not going to stop using it or rip it apart to change them. My bet is for the far majority of even the nylon caged bearings. keeping the No load RPM in check and running a good mix will keep them happy.
Thanks. Yea its only going to be homeowner/landowner used. And kept stock. No crazy port job and screaming RPMs, haha. Can the high speed be set to 12,900-13,000 even with the limiter caps that are in place? I also like to run a bit of extra oil in my mix and use husqvarna xp or stihl ultra. Im gona try to find that service bulletin just because im curious and annoying. haha

Thanks. Yea its only going to be homeowner/landowner used. And kept stock. No crazy port job and screaming RPMs, haha. Can the high speed be set to 12,900-13,000 even with the limiter caps that are in place? I also like to run a bit of extra oil in my mix and use husqvarna xp or stihl ultra. Im gona try to find that service bulletin just because im curious and annoying. haha
Yes...and I have set them to 12800 in the fall so when winter sets in the colder air doesn't lean them out past 13k..with no changes to the carb limiters.

Yes...and I have set them to 12800 in the fall so when winter sets in the colder air doesn't lean them out past 13k..with no changes to the carb limiters.
Awesome. im gona get ahold of a tach soon and check it out and see what its at. 12,800 sounds nice

You have to also understand they may have made changes to suppliers & sources without service bulletins as well. Not all changes are reflected in service bulletins. Yet again the best source is your dealer..:)

I think the best you will get on specific data is what year, as they may have changed suppliers and as one batch ran out during a time frame the saws were built with the bearings from the different batch. Doubt very much they tracked that. Also I doubt Husqvarna saw that as an issue to fix so yet again may have not issued a service bulletin. I just don't know. Last I doubt any company will blast those bulletins around to everyone on the internet. Again the best source for those types of information is the dealers or folks who work on them and see a change as saws fall into their hands. I for one haven't seen any bearing failures with saws newer than 2014. The ones I have seen all came from the 2012 era and had already had a few years of hard labor as I articulated above... So my experience vs. hard inside information leads me to speculate somewhere in the 2013-2014 bearings got better. Or simply they were good enough to where there isn't enough time to tell. But like I said before...I wouldn't panic on those bearings. Also if you are looking for a time line....the newer the better as they have less time and I suspect anything newer than 2014 will be fine regardless. Saws from the "pro" world older than that are now falling into the statistical probabilities of a saw towards the end of its service life anyway. That's how I look at it and when I stick together a saw for real, would probably put bearings and seals in it anyway if it looked like its had a hard life, even if its another brand or model.

if i richen the high speed as far as the stock limiter will let me turn it out do you have any idea about what rpm it would be at? Someone once told me that they turn the high speed out to the limiter and that was set nice for them.

Latest posts

Back