husky 372/ jonsered 2171 rod bearing problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhlogga

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
question. every husky 372 / jred 2171 i have owned lasts me about 1 year to 1 1/2 years of steady running. problem is the rod bearing disentigrates. i've talked to my local saw dealers and can't get a straight answer. i've been told that husky did have a bad run on cranks years back. been told to let off my heave trigger finger(done that). been told to keep saw sharp{duh! everyone knows that). one dealer told me to use the quakerstate mix he sells and mix it 32:1. tried that on a brand new saw from day 1 and it didn't last a year. i mix my gas with jred oil(5gal. bottle) to 4 1/5 - 5 gal of high octane gas. it doesn't matter if i use stihl or husky mix either. i bring my saws to my dealer every so often and have him put it on the tach so they aren't over revving. i keep up with maintenence on them. i clean the air filters usually a couple times a week which is all that is required on huskys/jreds. i know alot of guys that get years out of their saws. i don't spray my air cleaners off with starting fluid like alot of guys i know do. i usually rinse them in mixed gas then blow them off with compressed air. any ideas? i have plenty of saws with bad cranks and good p/c's and everything else to go with them.

Last edited:
i have owned several 372s.

never had any issues with them other than a dull chain now and then.

I have been salvaging parts off of a group of 365 and 372 plus the Js that all tossed the large rod bearing. There was a run of bad bearings so you might want to check the dates of the saws and compare. There could be a slim chance of some new old stock being sold more recently.

Most of this batch of saws are less than two years old and all have near perfect P/Cs. The crank bearings and seals have also been in great shape.
The only part failure was the actual large rod bearing.

question. every husky 372 / jred 2171 i have owned lasts me about 1 year to 1 1/2 years of steady running. problem is the rod bearing disentigrates. i've talked to my local saw dealers and can't get a straight answer. i've been told that husky did have a bad run on cranks years back. been told to let off my heave trigger finger(done that). been told to keep saw sharp{duh! everyone knows that). one dealer told me to use the quakerstate mix he sells and mix it 32:1. tried that on a brand new saw from day 1 and it didn't last a year. i mix my gas with jred oil(5gal. bottle) to 4 1/5 - 5 gal of high octane gas. it doesn't matter if i use stihl or husky mix either. i bring my saws to my dealer every so often and have him put it on the tach so they aren't over revving. i keep up with maintenence on them. i clean the air filters usually a couple times a week which is all that is required on huskys/jreds. i know alot of guys that get years out of their saws. i don't spray my air cleaners off with starting fluid like alot of guys i know do. i usually rinse them in mixed gas then blow them off with compressed air. any ideas? i have plenty of saws with bad cranks and good p/c's and everything else to go with them.

Thats a strong post there. Seems your doing everything right so I gotta ask. Just how many of these saws have blown these rod bearings, any pics since you must have them apart to see the bearing damage. Are you saying one or two or are you talking 10 or more. I must say I rarely ever see a rod bearing go out on any brand of saw within reasonable age and use.

I concur, this saw does have a habit of losing big end rod bearings. Most of the ones I've seen just inherit too much vertical play. These are well used saws, though.

The rod bearings don't get lubed as well as they should... I have seen plenty that way as well... I just run mine a little rich.

Thats a strong post there. Seems your doing everything right so I gotta ask. Just how many of these saws have blown these rod bearings, any pics since you must have them apart to see the bearing damage. Are you saying one or two or are you talking 10 or more. I must say I rarely ever see a rod bearing go out on any brand of saw within reasonable age and use.

every one i have purchased since '02 or '03. i usually buy 2 per year. does anyone know where i can buy one of the tools used to separate the crank cases? i'm thinking about buying one of those aftermarket cranks from baileys and a big bore kit too. how much power will i gain with a big bore kit?should i tune the carb different? or is it not worth doing at all?

every one i have purchased since '02 or '03. i usually buy 2 per year. does anyone know where i can buy one of the tools used to separate the crank cases? i'm thinking about buying one of those aftermarket cranks from baileys and a big bore kit too. how much power will i gain with a big bore kit?should i tune the carb different? or is it not worth doing at all?

Wow your talking about 12-14 saws there. I myself haven't seen such bearing failures in Husky saws but then again I don't see many Husky's in my area. I did read the 385 had some bearing issues a long time ago that they corrected. What your talking about I've never heard of before. If what your saying is true I wouldn't be worried about any tuning or anything, I'd be washing my hands of those saws if I had 12-14 of them all having big end rod bearing failure, to hell with that.

I service Jreds all the time at my shop, and to date have only seen three crank failures on 2171s since their inception. Every one I have have is a direct result of prolonged over speeding. Two of the three were running 18" bars with 73lpx chain. Not enough load on the engine. The big end of the rod gets blue and elongated, but the p&c are fine. I have seen 2 with twisted cranks but I have no clue how one would manage that on that crank. My biggest problem with that series of saw seems to be customers who use the saw as a prybar and flex the mounts so much that the fuel line pulls through the tank then folds over and pinches in the relaxed position.

high revs and short bars make for a short lived saw. those saws like 11500-12000rpm and will live a long happy life there. and you won't miss any real usable chain speed.

Back