Husky 372 xp vs. Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for a saw in this size range. I thought maybe someone who has run both would have an idea which has more grunt for ripping with a 24" bar. I have an 088 with a 42" bar which I like but it sure goes thru the fuel for smaller cuts.
It's also a bit on the heavy side. - Eric

artwood said:
I'm looking for a saw in this size range. I thought maybe someone who has run both would have an idea which has more grunt for ripping with a 24" bar.
- Eric

The 7900, no question.

Russ

Had both, liked both. The Dolmar has a lot more torque though, and is not really much heavier. The only advantage the 372XP has is the air injection, and maybe a little less impact on the wallet. Do you have a Dolmar dealer nearby?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 372XP was being discontinued and replaced with a heavier and weaker (hp) saw.

But if it were me on the choice, since I have no dolmar or Husky dealer support I would get a MS660 if I were you. Getting the parts you need, when you need them is a big deal to me. Maybe you can afford down time and walk away from what you are doing till the parts come in. When I need a certain saw. I need that saw.

DirtTroll said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 372XP was being discontinued and replaced with a heavier and weaker (hp) saw.

The 575xp is not weaker although it is heavier. The 575 does have more torque than the 372 in stock form.

There are still a bunch of new 372s available.

Russ

Tony M - no dealers nearby, I sent you an email yesterday for a price on one.

there are 372's around, found a couple for $505 - 529 powerhead only.

Had an 066 - lot of vibration, air filtration sucked, cut good. IMHO Stihl is over rated & over priced. - Eric

Before you sway your decision on dealers. CALL Dolmar/Makita. They are REALLY spreading theie dealer network around here. They have two new dealers within 30 miles of me. A year ago, NONE! Just got home from dropping my 7900 off for recall work. Dealer told me he would stock a full line of parts for my saw! Hmmm now if I can find someone to mod a muffler for me?/ (hint, hint)

I have and use both and like them both with 20" bars. If I were going to run one with a 24" bar in wood that would justify it, I would use the 7900. The weight difference between the two saws is too little to matter, and the same goes for the vibration levels. The two saws do feel very different in the hands. I prefer the balance of the 372, but my son swears by the balance of the 7900. Both are great saws.

I just looked at an old thread: http://arborist.************/showthread.php?t=12665
Did this match up ever happen?

I cut about 50-60 cords of firewood a year, but mostly carve for a living. So the vibration and the balance you mention Pallis is important too.

artwood said:
I cut about 50-60 cords of firewood a year, but mostly carve for a living. So the vibration and the balance you mention Pallis is important too.

Well then, I'll go into a little more detail that might help you decide. About five years ago my back got messed up during a cancer surgery. I can walk around a little, sit, but I can't stand and twist very well. The wood I'm cutting is standing, dead Pinon, and it is very brushy and difficult to branch. If I try to limb and clean things up with the big saws, my back will bend me over and send me to the wheelchair I take along. I use a little 951 for limbing, and then use the bigger saws to cut the firewood. The 372 is just easier for me to use while bucking up the firewood. On the other hand, my son does everything with one saw, and the 7900 seems a little more nimble and easier to use for limbing. That might make a big difference if you are carving. Best thing would be for you to try out both saws, and then make a decision.

Dolmar Dealers

Called Dolmar today, they told me closesest Dolmar dealer to me is about 500 miles away. So since I have to buy mail order no matter what. Who's got the best price on a 7900 Powerhead? Emailed a few, and haven't got any replies yet. - Eric

Artwood, did I not reply to your request for quote? I answered all my emails, that I know of. Anyway, I'll send you a PM.

Back