Husky 372xp or Stihl ms441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you consider a claim that a sprung saw is smoother than a bushed one to be wild a$$ then its clear no one could ever start. I mean, is it actually possible that Stihl could make a saw smoother than the 440 by borrowing the same idea, hint hint (441?) I'm sure you've seen everyone say how smooooooooooooth that saw is. Or do springs only make a saw smooooooth if that saw is a Stihl? I believe It could be possible that smoother saws could have significant benefits for some people.

Get in the ballgame chief. The claims about dog sharpness, screw location, etc. were what I was talking about. And it seems you have a question about the post I made about Husky no longer making guns, bikes, and sewing machines. Maybe I can help you understand that. Husqvarna has not made firearms in years, the sewing machines were retained by Electrolux, and the motorcycles have been made by Cagiva in Italy since the '80s. The company that makes chainsaws has nothing to do with any of that. Do you need any further help? If so, let me know...

One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer.
Hey mr. bartender come over here.
I want another drink and I want it now.
My baby she gone she done gone tonight.
I ain't seen my baby since night before last.

And then I sit there getting high.
Mellow, knocked out, feeling good
and by that time I looked on the wall,
at the old clock on the wall.
By that time it was ten thirty then.
I looked down the bar at the bartender.
He said what you want Johnny?

One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer!

Well, my baby she gone she done gone tonight.
I ain't seen my baby since night before last.
I want to get drunk, get her off of my mind

One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer!

Then I sit there getting high
stoned, knocked out
and by that time I looked on the wall,
at the old clock again,
and by that time it a quarter to two.
Last call for alcohol.
I said "Hey Mr. bartender".
What you want?

RIP by the late, great John lee Hooker.
Too be honest I like Georges version more but still a good tune!

10 oz Jack Daniel's® Tennessee whiskey
2 oz Ice tea

Pour jack daniels into large glass filled with ice. Pour Ice-tea into the glass. Stir lightly.

I've got a much better way.

10 oz. Maker's Mark
2 oz. Iced tea

Pour Maker's into glass with ice. Throw iced tea down drain.

Repeat.

You could start with yourself. Making wild a$$ claims about the 372 while trying to throw the 044 under the bus puts your credibility in the crapper. The 372 is a great saw. I would love to have one. That being said, the 372 is on par with the 440 and that's it. Both saws have good and bad points. Bring facts, not fantasy, then your input will mean something.

My 044 served me very well over the last 19 years, been rebuilt twice.My 066 redlight magnum Artic has all the power I will ever need,use her for blocking up the big logs. But then I bought a new 372 Husky a few weeks ago and I have now realized that for many years I never knew what I was missing.Now the 044 is just a great firewood saw. Let me tell you all a little story, please bear with me.

In the winter of 1986 while logging up in Thompson, Manitoba. One of Stihls senior German factory engineers named Yurgen Wolfe came and paid me a visit. He read some of my write ups to Chainsaw Age Magazine about the problems with the 038 mag. and 034s oiling problems. He wanted to see me in my own locale and try and solve the problem. First thing he noticed was frozen wood ,the sapwood of my spruce logs were ice, something he never seen before. Alot of input was given to him over his visit to our rugged logging conditions. The problems were later fixed. But I do remember some input I gave him on how to make the Stihls a better ergonomic saw. He took them back to Germany.
I ran a Jonsered 630 [ red Husky] a few years before ,I knew the differences. This is some of the points I told him:
On the husky/jonsered the rear handle has a tall rectangle grip offering better grip with less fatigue and equal balanced grip with the top handle over the thin round grip of the Stihl. On the stihl saw the left arm does the most work. The Husky top handle was thinner ,better grip for average sized hands.
Carb. adjustment screw location on the Husky was best. With your left hand holding the top handle on the side / falling position you could adjust the screws easily with good view with the right hand .On the Stihl with the half wrap top handle holding the saw with left hand was awkward because of so little of the handle to hold on to,plus exhaust blows into operaters face.
Now this is the kicker that really raised Yurgens eye brows: You grab the Stihls offset T starter handle, you got the rope area of the handle between your index & middle fingers. Feels real good doesn't it? You got that offset longer part of the grip under your 3 fingers, and your index around the shorter part of the grip. After the saw starts you even put the starter handle firmly back into its D- shaped hole. You make some cuts ,shut it off. Then when you go to start it again ,the handle slips out of your hand. What position is the starter handle in? Backwards, long offset part of handle pointing to the front of the saw! Even from only making a few cuts the vibration and inertia of the saw always spins that handle around and you have to first turn it back to get a good grip. A very poor ergonomic design. All my Stihl saws have Jonsered [even T ] starter handles on them.
22 yrs ago I told that engineer these disadvantages and still today we have them. I remember those "professional" decals on the Huskys from the 1970s, now I see they were not kidding.

To Chief Tzed

Get in the ballgame chief. The claims about dog sharpness, screw location, etc. were what I was talking about. And it seems you have a question about the post I made about Husky no longer making guns, bikes, and sewing machines. Maybe I can help you understand that. Husqvarna has not made firearms in years, the sewing machines were retained by Electrolux, and the motorcycles have been made by Cagiva in Italy since the '80s. The company that makes chainsaws has nothing to do with any of that. Do you need any further help? If so, let me know...

At one time Husqvarna made Rifles, Motorcycles, Sewing machines, and Chainsaws. Now they only make chainsaws. They gonna quit with that too?

Those "Chief" are called personal preferences, not wild a** claims.

I have only one question. How is it a negative for chainsaw enthusiasts that the number one global producer of outdoor power equipment now focuses solely on the technology and development of outdoor power equipment, especially given its reputation for quality? Contrary to your suggestion, it seems that Husqvarna has renewed its commitment to the industry. Again, it seems to be a fairly sound economical decision on their part. Now, run along and play your ballgame, and let the rest of us live in the real world.

My world is just as real as yours. To answer your question, it is not negative for Husqvarna to focus on OPE. I was pointing out instability in the corporate structure. And since we are "focusing", let us focus on the fact that Stihl is the number one manufacturer of chainsaws worldwide. A position held since 1971. :buttkick:

My 044 served me very well over the last 19 years, been rebuilt twice.My 066 redlight magnum Artic has all the power I will ever need,use her for blocking up the big logs. But then I bought a new 372 Husky a few weeks ago and I have now realized that for many years I never knew what I was missing.Now the 044 is just a great firewood saw. Let me tell you all a little story, please bear with me.

In the winter of 1986 while logging up in Thompson, Manitoba. One of Stihls senior German factory engineers named Yurgen Wolfe came and paid me a visit. He read some of my write ups to Chainsaw Age Magazine about the problems with the 038 mag. and 034s oiling problems. He wanted to see me in my own locale and try and solve the problem. First thing he noticed was frozen wood ,the sapwood of my spruce logs were ice, something he never seen before. Alot of input was given to him over his visit to our rugged logging conditions. The problems were later fixed. But I do remember some input I gave him on how to make the Stihls a better ergonomic saw. He took them back to Germany.
I ran a Jonsered 630 [ red Husky] a few years before ,I knew the differences. This is some of the points I told him:
On the husky/jonsered the rear handle has a tall rectangle grip offering better grip with less fatigue and equal balanced grip with the top handle over the thin round grip of the Stihl. On the stihl saw the left arm does the most work. The Husky top handle was thinner ,better grip for average sized hands.
Carb. adjustment screw location on the Husky was best. With your left hand holding the top handle on the side / falling position you could adjust the screws easily with good view with the right hand .On the Stihl with the half wrap top handle holding the saw with left hand was awkward because of so little of the handle to hold on to,plus exhaust blows into operaters face.
Now this is the kicker that really raised Yurgens eye brows: You grab the Stihls offset T starter handle, you got the rope area of the handle between your index & middle fingers. Feels real good doesn't it? You got that offset longer part of the grip under your 3 fingers, and your index around the shorter part of the grip. After the saw starts you even put the starter handle firmly back into its D- shaped hole. You make some cuts ,shut it off. Then when you go to start it again ,the handle slips out of your hand. What position is the starter handle in? Backwards, long offset part of handle pointing to the front of the saw! Even from only making a few cuts the vibration and inertia of the saw always spins that handle around and you have to first turn it back to get a good grip. A very poor ergonomic design. All my Stihl saws have Jonsered [even T ] starter handles on them.
22 yrs ago I told that engineer these disadvantages and still today we have them. I remember those "professional" decals on the Huskys from the 1970s, now I see they were not kidding.

It is a real shame you wasted two decades of your life running the wrong saw isn't it?

87% of the population is right handed. The Stihl carb screws are placed so that the left hand holds the handle or holds the throttle wide open (no fine motor skill needed) and the right hand manipulates the screwdriver (fine motor skill required). This is the ideal situation for most of the people on this planet.

All of my Stihl saws have starter handles that index into the starter housing and do not move during operation, not to mention being Elastostart. The Husky handle transmits shock to the wrist.

The square shaped Husky rear handle is a nuisance. If it is good for that handle to be square, then why is the Husky front handle not square?

Happy sawing:)

Homie your killing me. Now even the pull rope hande is a feature of somekind according to you. Your still promoting the adjustment screws on the 372 but now thats only if the saw is in the felling position now. Homie you say you told the engineer all these disadvantages and yet 22 years later we still have them. That should tell you the engineer took what you said the same as I am, a bunch of piddly non-sense.

attachment.php

Lets have a look at the handle on my 372 and see the quality. Notice anything wrong with the handle, why is the rope sticking two inches up out the handle, did someone at the factory forget to cut off the excess, looks kinda shabby don't it. Look at the handle on the 346, see the difference. Do I care, hell no but the way you nit pick it should drive a man like you insane. I've seen some picky people in my day but Homie your holding the crown right now.

And since we are "focusing", let us focus on the fact that Stihl is the number one manufacturer of chainsaws worldwide. A position held since 1971.

You can repeat that all you want.

But that won't keep it from being wrong.

Last edited:
That mess has been discounted...come with something else...

I'd like to know how many Husqvarna actually produces. Not their just the stuff with their name.

I'd bet that Stihl easily outproduces Husky.

So Husky claims number one in chainsaw sales too? Well I wonder what basis Stihl and Husky make their claims specifically (I.E. total number of units sold vs. total revenue sold, or was that chart talking about growth)? I've seen the Stihl ads that say "world's number one selling brand of chainsaw" in U.S.A. Today, so either they are both really close (maybe back and forth per quarter or something), are splitting hairs and have different ways of measuring, or somebodies lying!

I wouldn't be surprised if Husqvarna was number one, considering they are sold in Lowes and Sears etc. (in fact I was a little surprised to find out that Stihl is number one since they are only sold in dedicated dealerships).

I'm sure this thread will get to the bottom of it all, to everyone's satisfaction. L.O.L.

Homie your killing me. Now even the pull rope hande is a feature of somekind according to you. Your still promoting the adjustment screws on the 372 but now thats only if the saw is in the felling position now. Homie you say you told the engineer all these disadvantages and yet 22 years later we still have them. That should tell you the engineer took what you said the same as I am, a bunch of piddly non-sense.

attachment.php

Lets have a look at the handle on my 372 and see the quality. Notice anything wrong with the handle, why is the rope sticking two inches up out the handle, did someone at the factory forget to cut off the excess, looks kinda shabby don't it. Look at the handle on the 346, see the difference. Do I care, hell no but the way you nit pick it should drive a man like you insane. I've seen some picky people in my day but Homie your holding the crown right now.

He pays attention to detail, far too many doesn't.......:greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

I see some dolmars on the self too? How you like them other German saw's? good to see something other than them Creamcicle's in your lineup lol. Keep a open mind man.

Latest posts

Back