Husky 372xp, the queen of all saws!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got to say the 372 is one of the smoooooothest saws ever ran by anyone. Why, it's so smooth you can't even tell it's running. I cut up 2 limbs the other day with the queen and I got to say I like it. It's a damned good saw and that's all there is to it. If you don't believe me, ask me again. :chainsaw: :hmm3grin2orange:

Man... you just had to start this now. I'm sittin here trying to rationalize to the more sensible side of my brain why I should buy me a used 372, even though I dun really need one. But I *want* one. I think I've about won... or lost... doesn't matter I knew all along how this would end!

Well, the 372 is the only husky saw I have ever been around to date.

I was taking a Silver Maple out of a neighbors yard on a weekend. The maple was pretty darn big about 43" dbh with a lot of leaders. We had the top all cleaned up and were bucking the trunk when a fifteen year old neighbor kid comes over and asks if I would like some help, he had a saw with him he would like to run. My grilfriend was using the 028 wb, had a buddy there with a 029 and I was running my 036 wasn't like we needed another saw but I said sure come on and play.
I went back to sawing and didn't pay much attention until I heard his saw fire up I thought "What the he11?" He put that thing to the wood and the chips were flying. I heard his saw over my 036! I was impressed, that's all I can say.

What a lucky young man to have a saw like that and a father that trained him well at a young age.

rahtreelimbs said:
For as much as I like the 441 the 372 has established itself as the "benchmark" on the 70cc saws.

That ain't gonna change soon!!!

Oh yes it is... it's already OBSOLETE.... It's like saying the Model A as the benchmark of cars! it was, but in 19xxx.:popcorn:

This must have been the same conversation when the 056mag2 was laid to rest with the 041 super, with the... bunch of old farts sitting around staring into their beer glasses muttering about those pos plastic saws - you know, the 066, the 046, the...

Zip forward a few years:
Same old farts are staring the same empty glasses (now though glasses), bemoaning the demise of the 372, the 440, the...

How quickly we all forget:buttkick:

Beings no Stihl lover seems to have tried out the Husky 372xp as of yet, I took it upon myself today to buy one and to let all you saw buffs know what the scoop is on the machine.
Here are the facts. As Husky claims its way smoother than the 440 by a mile. In the hand or in the wood its extremely smooth. The vibe system is unmatched and copied by Stilh but look at it closely and you will see its a copy. Its Stihl's new system.
The filtration system uses the big air filter just like the 385xp though the dirt is suppose to be channeled away from the filter. I didn't run it long enough to verify all that but will.
Ok, the part everyone is interested in, how does it run and cut. First off, like the whole saw itself, it cranks real smooth. Another pleasure was the trigger interlock, its super smooth as well. Once fired up I was surprised at how well and fast it reved up. It goes from idle to top speed in a flash. Does not sound like the Stihl's of old, sounds more like the 272 with a deeper tone to it. After I fired it up I handed it to my brother who happened to be checking it out with me. He reved it a few times and said its sounds like a hot rod 272 but feels smoother. He recently bought a 575xp and loves it. We took it up behind the barn where we have some big logs laying around. I put it in a 20 inch oak and it walked through it like nothing. Has a awful lot of pulling power in the cut, or torque as most would say. Holds its rpm's very well. That brother of mine says no no no, that oak is soft wood. He finds a soild hickory log about 16-18inches around and says now there's a true test. I hand him the saw and said go for it. He laid into the log and the saw never let up, it walked through it just like the oak. He was all smiles to say the least. He then says this saw is one bad mother.
In all its a hot rod 385xp. Cuts great, super smooth in the hand or in the cut. It has to be by far the smoothest running saw I've ever laid my hands on. The 361 is smooth but no match for the 372xp. Will outcut the 440 easily and I think outcut the 460 speed wise as well, its one quick cutting saw that holds its rpm's real well in the cut. How much bar it will handle I do not know but the 20 incher on it was nothing for it. The weight of the saw is about a touch more than the 440 but the power and smoothness it has for that little bit of weight makes it well worth it.
Retails for around 750.00, sounds like alot untill you run it. Husky hit the mark on this baby real good. The 357xp has been a huge winner and no doult the 372xp will always be. Its a keeper. ;)
BTW the 372xp is not dead it's black and red. "The Jonsered 2171":popcorn:

Last edited:
sawinredneck said:
Here ya go, lets here about it!!
Andy
Did that "Vulture Manual" put ya up to this?
2nunu.gif
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

manual said:
Will outcut the 440 easily and I think outcut the 460 speed wise as well

I have an 046, my Dad has a 371, cutting partner has a 372.
The 046 will out cut the Huskys.
The 371/372 are excellent saws, I will not dispue that. Hell, I even like to run the 371.

Ed

blis said:
no we cannot,husky's reign has begun...

Well, at least this thread loads fast! :rockn:

I tell ya I was all fired up and huntin' Huskys several years ago - been reading all the specs in the Northern Tool catalogs and lookin' 'em over at the box stores, etc... I downloaded thier catalogs and even told my wife that it looked like her sewing machine and my saw's were gonna be cousins...

Unfortunately, I suppose, the Husky dealer here just wasn't a fit - not for convienence or anything else... My Exmark dealer, however, is also a Stihl and Polaris dealer and the rest is history for me now...

I'd probably have a 372 by now but Husky's are just out of my realm of circulation.

It's definitely on my list of saws I won't pass up if I run across a decent one locally...only about 50 saws on that list...:laugh:

Chaser

Ok, the part everyone is interested in, how does it run and cut. First off, like the whole saw itself, it cranks real smooth. Another pleasure was the trigger interlock, its super smooth as well. Once fired up I was surprised at how well and fast it reved up. It goes from idle to top speed in a flash.

Not more than a year ago, I bought a 372 xp from a friend of mine, and have to admit that it is a fine, well balanced saw that runs very smooth. I do knot know how it compared to the 440, but it was a big step ahead on my 038 AV (much easier to start and less vibs)

The weight of the saw is about a touch more than the 440 but the power and smoothness it has for that little bit of weight makes it well worth it

An few ounces on the 441 were a much bigger deal....:cry:

The 361 is smooth but no match for the 372xp. Will outcut the 440 easily and I think outcut the 460 speed wise as well, its one quick cutting saw that holds its rpm's real well in the cut. How much bar it will handle I do not know but the 20 incher on it was nothing for it.

Manual will probably slap me for it, but now there's the part I disagree with him. The 372 had somewhat more grunt (torque), but in terms of power output or cutting speed, I did honoustly not feel significant difference with the 361. That's finally the reason that I sold it again as I had no need for two saws in the same class.

You can still buy the 372 xp over here new, and if I were looking to buy a new one, I really would hesitate between the 441 and the Queen.

attachment.php

Rolands experiences is in fact one of the reasons that the 372xpg is off my shortlist for a larger saw - not enough difference vs the MS361.

At the moment the list consist of the MS460 and 660 only, with a heavy lean twds the 660....:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
belgian said:
Manual will probably slap me for it, but now there's the part I disagree with him. The 372 had somewhat more grunt (torque), but in terms of power output or cutting speed, I did honoustly not feel significant difference with the 361. That's finally the reason that I sold it again as I had no need for two saws in the same class.

Manual will be (mostly) nice to ya' - in a month or so...but Ben is gonna rip your heart out! :blob2:

Chaser

belgian said:
:ices_rofl: Shoot, forgot totally about Ben :help:

I see another business trip coming up....
Don't panic, remember that our euro 361s are stronger than the US ones.......:greenchainsaw: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Ed*L said:
I have an 046, my Dad has a 371, cutting partner has a 372.
The 046 will out cut the Huskys.
The 371/372 are excellent saws, I will not dispue that. Hell, I even like to run the 371.

Ed
The 046 is NOT the same saw class/size as the 371/372xp..... How does the 046 cut with the 385xp? Lets compare apples to apples....UmmKaay:monkey:

WoodTick007 said:
The 046 is NOT the same saw class/size as the 371/372xp..... How does the 046 cut with the 385xp? Lets compare apples to apples....UmmKaay:monkey:
Well, the 460 weights only .1 kg more than the 372xp according to test reports by KWF and DLG (6.4 vs 6.5 kg)....

Husky is often pretty optimistic regarding the weight of their 300-series saws - the worst cases are the 357xp, 359 and 372xp (and so is Dolmar).

Last edited:
WoodTick007 said:

It's hard to find apples to apples since the cc's aren't a match. 76.5 for the 460 and 85 for the 385 (and it's 2lbs fatter:pumpkin2: ).

440 to 372 is MUCH closer - 70.7 vs. 71 and only 1/4lb difference. Of course the 460 is just a shade heavier than the 372, but for the money you could just about mod a 372 for what a 460 costs (USA).

It does seem that the 372 takes really well to mods, hence it's a natural w/ the mod guys. What kind of BB kits are available for the 372??

Chaser

Back