husky 385 or ms460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtismace

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
he everybody need a little help. I have never ran anything but stihl saws. two days ago I traded my ms 460 for a 385 xp. I've always heard great thingas about them. But to be honest it dosn't impress me much. I think my 46 cut better. Now what I need to know if anybody else has compared the two. and if it will run better after some time. If anybody has any tuneing tips for it please let me know. thanks alot.

Welcome to arboristsite!

You need to get about five gallons (yes, gallons) of fuel through your saw before it is completely broken in. Power will continue to increase during this time. Also consider opening up the choked-up muffler by enlarging the existing outlet and adding a second outlet. Do a search for "muffler mod" in the old posts, you'll find tons of info.

All things equal, the 385 should be a stronger runner than the 460.

Ummm, Yeah that 385xp will eat that ms460 for lunch!! There will be no comparison if the 385 is running anywhere near the way it should. open up the muffler and it will flat scream! Good luck.:cheers:

I am a Stihl guy, have never used a Husky, but in the two you are comparing the Husky is 85cc and the Stihl is only 76.5cc.
Talked to Dean at WHS on the phone this evening and he said the 385's are the most impressive mods he has ever done.
Maybe I might try one - or - maybe not.

I haven't ran the 385 but I was thinking that saw took the place of the 288 which took the place of the 281 and all three would out cut any 460 I've ever run..just my thinking though and I have two 460's.

My 385xp impresses me and I haven't opened up the muffler yet. I've never compared it to the 460, but I'm happy enough with it that I wouldn't care to. Like someone else mentioned, it's 85cc. It's all I need from milling to taking care of the occasional big oak.

Timbercutter said:
I haven't ran the 385 but I was thinking that saw took the place of the 288 which took the place of the 281 ......
The 281 took the place of the 181, and the 385 took the place of the 288 (some overlap in production).

Production of the 281 and 288 were pretty much parallell, and they were basically the same saw with different bore.

Tree Sling'r said:
I am a Stihl guy, have never used a Husky, but in the two you are comparing the Husky is 85cc and the Stihl is only 76.5cc.
I don't believe it is sensible to buy a 385 now, when the 88 cc 390xp is on its way - and the gap will be even larger....:greenchainsaw:

SawTroll said:
I don't believe it is sensible to buy a 385 now, when the 88 cc 390xp is on its way - and the gap will be even larger....:greenchainsaw:

Talked to a major dealer today and he told me the 390 west coast version was not available yet. I pressed him on whether or not they are seeing problems with the 575xp, and he claims they are not. I don't know if he would admit it if they were, but he has been a straight shooter with me so far.

I told him about how much I liked running my 7900. He hasn't seen one in person, and said to bring it with me next time I visit. Hehehe... I think he is in for a surprise....

if weight is an issue then go with a big bore 460. If vibration is an issue then go with the 385xp. In stock form I would not own a 385xp and would give up a little power for the weight savings of the 460. When it comes to modified though; it is hands down the 385xp. the full skirt piston really lets you open these things up. These are one of my most favorite saws to modify.

wagonwheeler said:
Do you know much about the potential in the 390's for mods?

I have not seen one yet to know. When I first got the 361 in to mod I was like a little kid at Christmas. This was one of the best designed port jobs I have seen in a modern saw and especially from Stihl. Then I heard they were bringing out the 441. I was just tickled to think that the porting was going to be the same. What a disappointment. so until I get to see the 390 and more specifically the piston and cylinder I can not say. I am a little excited though in the hopes that it is the same. If it is the same as the 385 in design. The 660 even with the big bore is going to have a race on its' hands.

The bore of the 390 is just 1 mm larger than on the 385 - how big a difference does that mean on a modded saw??? ( .2 kW on the stock ones).

Btw, the 385 and the 390 share the crank assambly acc. to the IPL - not so good, huh....:bang:

what I am more worried about is the design of the piston and the ports. If they are the same but larger then the 390xp is going to be a barn burner. If they go away from the full skirt piston and monkey witht eh port timings then it's just a matter of what can be done with what is there.

Huh?

What is it about the Husky you didn't like? Was it slow? Lacking speed? Power? Torque? Did it huff and puff and just not run well?? That's a lot more saw than a 460 to be disappointed. And a lot of money dude... Something can't be right there. The 288XP I ran was one of the nastiest little saws I've ever laid hands on.

ciscoguy01 said:
What is it about the Husky you didn't like? Was it slow? Lacking speed? Power? Torque? Did it huff and puff and just not run well?? That's a lot more saw than a 460 to be disappointed. And a lot of money dude... Something can't be right there. The 288XP I ran was one of the nastiest little saws I've ever laid hands on.
The fact that it weighs as much as an 066 and is 7cc smaller. If I am going to carry around the weight then I want the most power for the weight. If I had to choose between the 046 and the 385 in stock form it is hands down the 046 because I most likely am looking at the weight in that general power class. If I need the power then I might as well grab the saw that had more power for the same wieght and like I said before that is the 066. because of the design of the piston and cylinder in the 385 you have a lot more room for modifications than you do in the 066. the big bore kit is going to change all that again though in teh favor of the 066. However if the 390xp is nothing more than a larger version of the 385 and nothing changes then it is going to be a horse race again.

Back