Husky 395 bar length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck1278

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what is the longest bar that a 395 can comfortably pull with full comp in hardwood. I bought a used 395(pho) that I intend to set up for milling at a later date, and would like to use it on some trees on my property until I get the mill set up for the saw. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the saw into the woods yet this year because there is still snow that is waist deep up here. Until then I just want to see what everyone here has to say until I can try the saw out for myself. I don't intend to use the longest bar available just because I can, only curious to see what the saw can handle when I start to take down trees for milling.

28" or 32" is the point at which chip clearance starts to become an issue, and skip chain becomes preferable.You should have no problems running full-comp on either of those lengths with an 8t sprocket.

You could get away with full comp and a 7t on a 36" bar, but then you've got the chip issues coming up and will have a hell of a lot of cutters to sharpen...

If it has the power like a 660DP, it should pull a full comp 36" easy. Milling is harder on a saw, 32" at the most and richen the carb.:chainsawguy:

Get a few tanks of fuel through her and open up the muffler, that should give it a good kick.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait for spring!! Might not be until early May until I can get into camp to try out the 395. :chainsawguy: These long winters can be a real PITA.

24"

Buck1278
Just my recommendations, 24" to 28" semi skip chain
28" to 36" full skip chain
I have used 40" bars on 395's with full skip to take down some large cottonwood trees. :chainsaw:

A 395 can pull a 24" bar with full comp chain, with more than full authority! I'd say that with full comp the biggest bar would be 28", and semi skip on 28" to 36", anything bigger use full skip.:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :chainsaw:

my 90 cc makita can run a 36" bar full comp with an 8 tooth sprocket in hardwood no problem. It is new however so if your saw has a lower compression it may struggle more. So 36 with a 7 tooth and full comp should be doable.

Guy's I wasn't trying to start a pissing match, just giving my own opinion.
Yes the 395 will pull a 36" or 40" bar with full comp chain fine, it just comes down to logic, as computeruser stated in his post the chips start clogging up the space between the chain teeth. To get the maximum performance from saw and chain, you need to change to a different chain configuration. Does that make sense to you, or is the way we do it on the western side of the US like going into another dimension? We look at this two ways, best performance from the saw with cutting attachments and less teeth to sharpen when dull. I cannot explain it any better than this, so if you want to use full comp on 40" bars (GO FOR IT). :bang:

Okay BTW I thought I had cut about every species, except for (EAST COAST KNUCKLEHEAD).

Last edited:
my 395 pulls a 36 full comp in red oak easy.

i usually run a 28 with skip when not stumping.i just put a 8t sprocket on it and it flat rips with a 28 skip.

Latest posts

Back