Husky 445 or something else??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG Medic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am in need to buy a chainsaw. I have an old 14" Craftsman(older than me!!) that I got from my grandpa. It runs great but I think I need one that is bigger and more powerful. I was thinking between 40cc and 50cc. From what I have read I really like the Husky 445 but want some imput before I decide. Any help would be appreciated.

I am in need to buy a chainsaw. I have an old 14" Craftsman(older than me!!) that I got from my grandpa. It runs great but I think I need one that is bigger and more powerful. I was thinking between 40cc and 50cc. From what I have read I really like the Husky 445 but want some imput before I decide. Any help would be appreciated.

It is a new model, so no "service record" - but try to find the money for the 450 instead - or better, find a 350....

Saws in that price range from the "big" guys include:

Stihl 230 Around $300, 10.1 lbs, 40.2cc, rated at 2.5 HP
Dolmar PS-420 Around $300, 10.56lbs, 42cc, rated at 2.9HP

And the Husqvarna 445 Around $300, 10.8lbs, 45.7cc, 2.8HP

I have a Husqvarna 440e, (Aprox $275, 9.78lbs, 40.9cc, 2.4HP) with the "tooless" bar/chain adjustment deal. So far its been a pleasent suprise. A gutsy little saw for what it is. Looks to be well designed and put together as well. I ran a 445 at a demo..so who knows how it is stock; but that too was a pleasent suprise. Seemed to be quite a bit more saw than My 440e.

My 440e hasn't had enough time to show reliability issues but we have put a couple of gallons thru it and I can recommend one to this point. The one your looking at, the 445; can only be more powerful. Mine is good for wood under 12inches although we have cut larger stuff; its just the under 12inch wood is easy for the 440e. (Ash, Maple, Bass wood, & Poplar) My bet is the 445 can handle bigger wood by a couple of inches, maybe 14inch wood. The only thing I'm not a fan of is those multi function choke/throttle/start aids. You have to follow the sticker directions or you will wear yourself out pullin!

If you have a Dolmar dealer, take a look at the PS-420. Its also a new saw this year and the specs look really good. The Stihl 230 & that family of saws has been around in different forms for a long time & therefore have quite a history of user opinions. Seems like some love them and others trash them more because of the "plastic" than anything else.

(The hunt is more fun than the kill, in this class saw)

And $50 bucks more gets you a Husqvarna 450e..and $50 more into the Dolmar 5100s, husqvarna 353 & Echo 530..and you can go nuts with the options!

I will tell you my story, hope it helps.

I bought a outdoor wood boiler last summer and knew I wasn't going to have time to get enough wood before winter by cutting on my property, so I bought 12 cord of birch and maple in 8' lengths. I already had a chainsaw my wife had bought me 10 years or so ago a Homelite 23, 38 cc I think.

I cut up the 12 cord with the homelite, but at the very end It wasn't idling good and I figured it wasn't worth fixing and was hinting around to my wife that I may need a new, better saw,not expecting or wanting her to buy me one but just preparing her for the fact.

Well being the sweet wife she is, she surprised me and bought me a husky 445.

I cut a couple of cord of wood with it from the woods on our property and thought, wow I can't believe I cut that 12 cord with that pos Homelite, wellll, it wasn't long before I thought, this saw is nice, buuuuuut I wish it had a little more power, so off to the local husky/jonesrud dealer, who informed me that he would let me trade the saw in on something he had in stock minus $30

I thought that was a pretty good offer and the dealer is right next to where I work so at this point I was pretty much limited to a husky or jonesrud, knowing nothing about chainsaws I came home and found this site and began researching, I decided I should get a pro grade or close to pro grade saw in the 60cc range, back to the dealer, only pro grade saws he had in stock were the 359 husky, 2165jony, 2171jony, well I almost bought the 2165, then I figured if I want a saw that heavy I may as well get the 2171,but now I am way over my original budget and the 2171 is way more saw than I will ever need so I settled on the 359.

In the meanwhile I bought another 12 cord of 8' birch for next winter, put a chisel chain on my new 359 and went to work, wow I couldn't believe it, I thought it was normal to kind of have to push the saw a little into the wood, this thing feeds itself and pulls through the wood, I almost have to hold back, this is fun.

What I learned is, originally I was very concerned about the extra weight of the 359 over my little Homy, but it is actually a lot less work and even fun to cut wood with my 359.

By the way after all of this, I took a look at my homelite, the only thing wrong with it was the needle bearing in the srpocket was gone, causing the clutch to drag and making it not idle, $3 later, good as new LOL.

I did buy a non cat muffler for my 359 but have not installed it yet.

By the way Saw Troll, from what I've read I know your not a fan of the 359 and I would have bought a 361 if it were not for trading in the 445, also I've never run a 361 or many saws at all for that matter, but I really like my 359, and it's about $150 less in my area.

Last piece of advice once you have decided and bought a saw, delete this site from your favorites and never come back otherwise I think you'll never be happy ie (a part of me wishes I had gotten the 2171 LOL):chainsaw:

It is a new model, so no "service record" - but try to find the money for the 450 instead - or better, find a 350....

I would sort of agree with SawTroll, I would try to get the 450 over the 445 also, I think it worth the small price diff. As far as the 350 I think its great two and you can find them cheap on ebay sometimes. As to the 350 being a better choice than the 450 I would say only because you may find a cheap one, as far as the saws I like the 450 just as good as the 350!!

Get the 445

I was in your situation and handled both the 445 and the 450. The 445 seemed a tad smaller and lighter. Also, all of the 450 around here come with that "tool less" chain tensioner that seems like wasteful and something extra to break.

Good lord, kid, turn the computer off and run away! You may already be contaminated! Get away from here!

Hello, Dave. You will need at least 6 chainsaws, from 45 to 100 cc, and from at least 3 leading brands, else your testicles will fall off or something equally dire will happen (I'm thinking Hillary Clinton here). And worst of all,you wont' be able to share your expierences here without a stable of overpriced wenches. Um, chainsaws. Whatever.

You will imerse yourself in the arcana of ptich and gauge, chisel vs semi-chisel, ported, muffler mods, fuel additives, etc., to the point that you forget you ever cut a stick with anything less than one of those saws they got on Ax Men. You'll lay awake nights wondering if your friends will speak to you if they learn you cut up the 22" maple that blew over in Grandma's yard with an 18" chainsaw you bought at Lowes. And that it took you all day Saturday.

Hahahahahahha! Welcome to the morass.

On the serious side, a 45 - 50 cc Husky of any stripe will do good work for you. My personal feeling is that the fewer bells, whistles, and "features" the better. As was pointed out, fewer gadgets = fewer things to break. And if you can't manage a scrench to adjust your chain you probably have no business with a chainsaw. -WSJ

Good lord, kid, turn the computer off and run away! You may already be contaminated! Get away from here!

Hello, Dave. You will need at least 6 chainsaws, from 45 to 100 cc, and from at least 3 leading brands, else your testicles will fall off or something equally dire will happen (I'm thinking Hillary Clinton here). And worst of all,you wont' be able to share your expierences here without a stable of overpriced wenches. Um, chainsaws. Whatever.

You will imerse yourself in the arcana of ptich and gauge, chisel vs semi-chisel, ported, muffler mods, fuel additives, etc., to the point that you forget you ever cut a stick with anything less than one of those saws they got on Ax Men. You'll lay awake nights wondering if your friends will speak to you if they learn you cut up the 22" maple that blew over in Grandma's yard with an 18" chainsaw you bought at Lowes. And that it took you all day Saturday.

Hahahahahahha! Welcome to the morass.

On the serious side, a 45 - 50 cc Husky of any stripe will do good work for you. My personal feeling is that the fewer bells, whistles, and "features" the better. As was pointed out, fewer gadgets = fewer things to break. And if you can't manage a scrench to adjust your chain you probably have no business with a chainsaw. -WSJ

Well said:givebeer: It's to late for me but you may still have a chance Gooooo

I am heading to the local Stihl-Husky dealer now. I figure I can handle both brands while I am there. I the nearest Dolmar dealer is 2.5 plus hours away so that eliminates them. There is a Shindaiwa dealer not too far away so I might check them out. I am not looking to get a really big saw. If I need one my best friend works for a tree service his family owns so I can borrow one of their big saws when ever I need it.

Thanks for the help so far

Wish me luck at the dealer.

Chris

Oh by the way I am not that young. 25yrs old

Last edited:
I went to the local dealer yestrday and the salesman was VERY helpful. I planned on just buying the 445 at lowes since I have a relative that could get an employee discount.

After searching this site for hours I feel that it would be best to support the local dealer. With that being said, Now I have another problem.

The salesman offered a deal that I don't think I can pass up. He offered me a husky 450 for $369 with a case and an extra chain and he said he may be able to work on the price too!! He said that there is no extras that they give with the 445. So once I bought the case for the 445 I would be at $345 so really I can upgrade to the 450 for almost no money more.

Now to my question. What is the difference between the 450, 450e and 450 jubilee??

I looked on their website but couldn't find any difference.
thanks
Chris

I went to the local dealer yestrday and the salesman was VERY helpful. I planned on just buying the 445 at lowes since I have a relative that could get an employee discount.

After searching this site for hours I feel that it would be best to support the local dealer. With that being said, Now I have another problem.

The salesman offered a deal that I don't think I can pass up. He offered me a husky 450 for $369 with a case and an extra chain and he said he may be able to work on the price too!! He said that there is no extras that they give with the 445. So once I bought the case for the 445 I would be at $345 so really I can upgrade to the 450 for almost no money more.

Now to my question. What is the difference between the 450, 450e and 450 jubilee??

I looked on their website but couldn't find any difference.
thanks
Chris

450 is the standard saw, 450E has the tooless chain adjuster and the spring assist starter. The Jubilee is the 50th aniversary model, which is just graphics on the bar that will ware off, and maybe a decal somewhere on the saw.

Thank you to everyone that has helped me. This site is very informative and willing to help noobs to the new chainsaw world.

I have told many of my friends about this website and they have become quick fans of it too. I will post some pics once I get it.

I am going to get the 450. I will have to wait until April 11 to buy it:( The dealer closes at 5:30 mon-fri and 1 on sat. I work till 5:30 everyday so and have to go out of town this weekend.

Now I think it is time to start looking for the best chain to run with it :) and the fun starts over again.

Once again thanks to all that have helped.

have the dealer throw in soime stihl RSC chains.

i hope it turns out well. i feel husky suport should do you well from both the big box store and the dealer

ive handled the 450 and 445 and they seemed to be very difrent feeling saws the 445 feeling much ligher. both saws fell very good to me.

+1

By the time you read my post you should be covered in chips from your new Husky 450!

P.S. I think you may be have the first stages of CAD!

I get kind of neurotic when I make a purchase. I have to know what I am buying and what kind of quality is involved. I search the web for days and talk to anyone that I know personally that has any experience with the subject. I hate buying more than once or not liking what I buy.

I don't have CAD I could stop if I wanted too. NOT

Then as someone else mentioned, after buying that 450....delete this site!!! If not, plan on having a three saw plan within a year....450, 372XP, Big bore hobby saw...maybe a Stihl

I have already started planting the seed to my wife about needing a bigger saw down the road. She said wait and see how much I use this one. She didn't rule it out right away. So there may be hope in a couple of months.

Now :chainsaw:

In a couple of months :chainsawguy:

The CAD is setting in.

I have already started planting the seed to my wife about needing a bigger saw down the road. She said wait and see how much I use this one. She didn't rule it out right away. So there may be hope in a couple of months.

Now :chainsaw:

In a couple of months :chainsawguy:

The CAD is setting in.

I just mention it could be worse....could be ....TRACTORS! (Or more Motorcycles!) She see's the light pretty quick when put into that light! (leme see....couple hundred for saw "instant gratification"..or a few THOUSAND for tractor/motorcycle/quad/car/boat etc. AND it helps keep the house warm!)

Back