husky 450 with problems?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHtech

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well i bought a husky 450 last night saw runs and cuts great but on the 4th tank of fuel the chain jumped caught the guard it is spose to but it broke the mount that little bolts to i.e. anti-vibe spring on the bottom of the saw it looks like part of the case has anybody seen or heard of this :confused::jawdrop::cry:

005.jpg

broke001.jpg

here is some pics the part that broke is the spring mount

By your photos the spring av mount looks okay....just the chain catcher is bent.

By your photos the spring av mount looks okay....just the chain catcher is bent.
If you look the orange plastic that it mounts to is cracked. Idk if it is a bad crack but I think you can live with it unless the chain catcher is loose

If you look the orange plastic that it mounts to is cracked. Idk if it is a bad crack but I think you can live with it unless the chain catcher is loose

My computer screen isn't the best. So I can't really see the crack. You are probably right that it can be lived with. Good catch.

Did you notice the weights I posted on the two husky's?:cheers:

My computer screen isn't the best. So I can't really see the crack. You are probably right that it can be lived with. Good catch.

Did you notice the weights I posted on the two husky's?:cheers:

sure did, guess the ole arm-o-meter is workin' purdy good:clap:

this saw is under warr. it was new yesterday so it is gonna get fixed.
was just kinda wandering if this was a common problem. and yes the spring mount is broken i real like this saw i'm a sthil guy and starting to think i made the wrong choice

was just kinda wandering if this was a common problem. and yes the spring mount is broken i real like this saw i'm a sthil guy and starting to think i made the wrong choice

not sure if it's gonna be covered as it's from a chain-throw, but you can certainly try the worst that can happen is they say no

NHtech,

I don't know if it is common or not. However, I run a 450 husky for several months during 2009 with 3 different bar /chain combinations and didn't have a problem. Saw had good power and was very smooth compared to previous Stihl 029's, 028's, and 025's at work. Nice layout to controls, excellent power for size, and a lightweight.

Chain jump

I've been running a 450 for about a year, never had that problem. I did have one incident where I was cutting into log filled with water saturated termite dust and the 'gluck' filled up the sprocket area and jammed the saw. No damage, just took off the bar and cleaned it out.

If it isn't covered by warranty, you may be able to mend it using a liquid metal/epoxy mix that will adhere to plastics.

if this isn't covered under warr i will probly take it in to trade on a the stihl i should have bought in the first place

well mabye this was a little harsh but when you spend this kinda money you kinda expect it to work

and yes i know chain coming off is probly my fault but had my stihls do it and all that needed replaced was chaincatcher

Last edited:
so basicly this is a fluke does any body know a good dealer i could get to send me parts or this some thing i have to take in

well i took saw in monday and now their trying to decide on fixing it or replacing it but they did give me a saw out of rental to use so all is good for now they gave me a 460 rancher to use it seems to be a good running saw just a bit heavy i geuss i get the idea behind a 60 cc saw with a 20" bar i sure eats a lot of wood don't think i would to run one all of the time their a little heavy for me

005-1.jpg

here is a little better pic i circled the piece that is broken

this piece i complety broken off just has a little strip of plastic holding it together and from what i gather this is the crank case

well called today still no word but i didn't get to talk to the guy taking care of it they say he should be back next tue. but i do have a question for any body out there should i keep this saw when i get it back or just take the beating and put it on ebay

(i do realize at this point i broke the golden rule for buying a saw! always go with a servicing dealer no matter the brand find the dealer you get along with best and buy from them )

i bought this saw from a Do It Best store so their not truely a servicing dealer

as far as the question sell or not just kinda looking for a vote (opinion poll of sorts)

I think you hit the nail on the head earlier when you called it a fluke thing. I'll bet you could run it for another ten years without issue if you kept it. By the way, I like mine although I don't tun it as much as I used to. And another by the way, I like it a whole lot better than the MS260 I used to run. I think it's a quality saw but like what happened to yours, weird things happen sometimes.

yeah that is what i'm teetering on my fear is if somthing else goes wrong

and yes i bought this saw to go head to head with my dads new ms260

and yeah i know this is a mid grade saw but already impressed me more than the new 260 as far as weight power feel and comfort the only thing the 260 has is this thing seems to like fuel

Hard to say. I don't run it as much as I used to because of a lack of service/dealers for Husky in my area, but it's a real nice saw as a backup for me and a "new guy" saw for my employees to use occasionally but I'd bet it would last a long time without issues. No husky's are junk.

well thats why i bought it

i guess it started with dad talking about looking in to other saws for comparsion so i did a little home work and bought a husky because they seemed to be toe too toe with stihl

(i guess i should say dad had a stihl,gravley,simplicty,and solo dealer when i was a kid so we have been nothing but stihl for more than 30 years the dealership got sold off in the divorce

That's pretty much the deal here, nothing but Stihl dealers and I wasn't all that impressed with them but I ran them anyway because that's all there was. When I started my business, short of the dough to buy STihl saws I bought the 450 at TSC and was real impressed with it but then again, no dealer support here. I would have loved to have gone the 346/372 route, but I really dislike buying things online anyway so I resigned myself to going with the STihls. That particular dealer also had Echo saws and they really talked them up, so I tried them out and haven't looked back as they (530, 680, 370) have proven to be excellent saws for me. This has gotten off-topic, but good luck with your 450, as I still use it once in a while and it's a runner all right.

Latest posts

Back